“A slice of heaven...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Farm of Life (Finca de Vida)
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“A slice of heaven...”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just spent a quick 5 days at Finca de Vida and it was exactly the restorative reboot I’d hoped for. It’s a beautiful property and, thanks to the hosts Jody and Brian, I immediately felt at home—even though I was a first time (and solo) visitor. The cabin was lovely –especially the hammock on the back porch and the bathroom (toilet system was equivalent to US).

I arrived knowing next to nothing about raw food diets and juicing, but the other friendly guests, who were doing different options including 80/10/10, raw food detox, and a raw/cooked food hybrid, shared their knowledge and I dived in. I got completely spoiled –picking my own lunch and dinner salads in their large greenhouse (learning about a whole range of veggies) and fruits off the tree and from their kitchen counter. After I returned home, I actually initially forgot that you can’t just put any beautiful leaf you see on a NYC tree/bush in your salads.

A few tips (in addition to the ones on their website):
1. They have a great chef who prepared delicious raw food dinners and desserts. Treat yourself!
2. I was initially concerned about visiting during rainy season and didn’t see many reviews about what it would be like. It rained a little on most days I was there (one afternoon was nonstop rain) but I found the rain to be a refreshing break to the heat. On a related note, they have good wi-fi so bring your iPad/tablet.
3. Yoga classes in the morning were great. (I’m a devoted yogi)
4. Based on my net research, I had assumed that the guests would skew older (50+ years old) which was fine, but when I was there, they had a mix of all ages (24+ y.o.) which was a pleasant surprise, especially since everyone socialized with other (while also valuing each other’s needs for reflection and private time)
5. Weight loss—I lost 4 lbs over those 5 days, which is all I had wanted/needed to lose. Upon returning home, I bought a juicer and now have green juices most mornings. (easier to do in the summer; we’ll see how I adapt in the winter!) Can't believe I changed my way of eating after such a short time there but it's giving me lots of energy.
6. When I go back, I will bring nuts to help transition from my normal pescatarian diet. I'll also buy/bring Vibrams for hiking.

Pura vida!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Linda A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Finca de Vida is a ver special place, full of healing and beauty. I arrived there exhausted, out of shape and quite weak. I left 15 lbs lighter, happier and much stronger. Brian and Jody are very kind people who have given many a tremendous gift by creating such a wonderful place to experience health and growth on your own terms. I was able to relax and enjoy myself and my surroundings and my fellow travelers. I tasted delicious fruits that I had never heard of before. The rooms are well kept and I would rate the cleanliness a 4 out of 5, but I did feel that the kitchen would greatly benefit from the addition of hot water to keep the appliances clean, hence I gave it a 3 out of 5. This does need attention, but it will not deter me from returning, and I have already made plans to do so. The hiking, waterfalls and beaches are wonderful. The dogs are great and so is the cat. The people are fantastic. Thank you Farm of Life, for everything.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lacey81
Norrkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had such an amazing time at the farm. I spent a month there with several other guests and we had so much fun. There's so much positive energy and love from both the nature and the people. I came here mainly to work with my inner self and I got everything and even more than I hoped for! Brian, Jody and the volunteers are amazingly loving and talented people and I would recommend a vacation here for anyone that wants to heal and grow - physical or spiritual - or even just to come here to experience paradise. I had the best time in my life, thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jimmyhesus
Olds, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

How can I describe the beautiful surroundings and the experience we had on our yoga retreat. Brian and Jody are such wonderful people and gave me a very peaceful and non judgemental outlook on life. The cabin we stayed in was one of the new ones just built and had a spectacular view of the valley. It was so awesome waking up in the morning at dawn and laying out on the hammock listening to the howler monkeys and the other sounds of nature all around. The shower was an outdoor shower and was to die for. How great is it to be showering and looking out over the same valley. The cabin we stayed in is a labour of love and definitely five star. We went on some fantastic hikes to various stunning falls and down to the beach at dominical where we also shopped at their seaside market. I still dream of my week there and will never forget it or the wonderful people we met -especially the hosts and their cook who served us incredible vegetarian dishes each day. Thank you for a life time adventure

Room Tip: All the rooms are very unigue but I loved the one we had up on the hill near the yoga platform
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Arlene R
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I arrived late in the night and woke up to breathtaking scenery all around me! The layout of the farm is so well thought out and everything seems as if it has been carved out by God. Each part of the farm has been built with love and that came out the more and more I sank myself into this sacred land. Coming from the hustle and bustle of the states it took just a short time to see why Brian & Jody call this beautiful place home, and why volunteers, staff and tourists return again and again. You can enjoy meditation, sun gazing, healthy and delicious fruits & vegetables prepared daily, Tibetan bowl baths, the blossoming flowers, variety of herbs, natural wildlife, inspiring QiGong classes, yoga, natural spring dunk pool, the forest with all its mystery, the BEST massages, refreshing waterfalls, the wide-stretched beach and so much more. I arrived as a stranger to this oasis and left with friends/family that I will return to again. This Farm of Life radiates positive energy and healing in ways that, if you allow yourself to remain open, you may not have expected. Such a blessing to be around individuals that have your best body, mind and spirit gently in their hands, knowing that we can leave behind the stress and fears we may have attached ourselves to and replace those spaces with love in its purest form. The welcoming committee of the dog aspect of the family and Shakti the cat was an amazing added bonus. They are always giving love and know how to receive it as well which is a reminder to all their visitors. It was a sad day when I had to leave this blessed paradise though I carry with me the experiences, relationships, and anticipation of returning next year . . . or maybe even sooner!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ViennaSunflower
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Farm of Life is a vacation of a lifetime. Clean air, beautiful environment, cleansing, clean, farm fresh, organic, delicious food are just some of the positive aspects. Jody and Brian, who own the farm, are very accommodating, loving and spiritual people who plan breath taking activities and sites to see. The cabins are lovely and very clean. You can sleep outside if you like and awake to Toucans and Holler Monkeys. This is not a traditional vacation but one that is very healing in all ways. You will leave feeling totally rejuvenated with a desire to return forever.

Room Tip: Hook up with Sam Mielcarski Raw Retreat.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank landebrown
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I knew my retreat with the amazing Twist & Sprout girls Susan and Lorna would be a fantastic, but I had not considered how much Finca de Vida would add to this experience.

I found the location breathtaking and welcoming. The accommodation, amenities and surroundings are faultless...and I am more than a little bit fussy! The hosts and staff were all great. Brian is inspiring and sharing, whilst Jody makes you feel everything has been taken care of.

Whatever your type of retreat, or if you are considering visiting independently, Finca de Vida is the perfect choice.

Room Tip: Monkey and Coconut houses for extra bit of luxury
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LindsayKinn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
Waterfall Villas
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical
Roca Verde
Roca Verde
#9 of 14 in Dominical

Been to Farm of Life (Finca de Vida)? Share your experiences!