“rio magnolia nature lodge---your way” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge
Ranked #3 of 14 Dominical B&B and Inns
toronto
“rio magnolia nature lodge---your way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

OMG---A dream come true. Not a bit commercial. Fresh air, flowers,birds,jungle sounds,views of fields with cows and horses(2 new baby calfs). Secluded but easy access to anywhere you want to go(ie beach). Adventure(lots of hiking--one to a magnificent waterfall) coupled with quiet peacefulness and lounging around the pool with a fabulous fresh fruit beverage or cold
beer and a good book. Numerous photo opps. Four resident dogs--(2 are local rescues) greet you with wagging tails. Cocktails at 6--then dinner--and impromtu dancing on occasion and oh so many laughs. You can dine at your own table or join John and Maureen or other guests--whatever is your pleasure. There were never huge numbers of other guests so we always felt
and were treated as "special". We climbed Mount Chirripo(12,500 feet),went zip lining in the jungle and spent time at the beach--arangements were always available to get us to and from
where ever we wanted to go. Oh--THE COFFEE--they grow their own---what a way to start the day! and with fresh local fruit every morning. I could go on and on----my kind of vaca--no big hotels,resorts----a piece of heaven here on earth. I will be back. Love you John and Maureen.
Muuuaaahhh!!!!!!!!!----CAROL

Room Tip: i stayed in mono congo--set aside a bit in the jungle---fabulous views--private---outside shower--am...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 222carol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New Port Richey, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Everything about Rio Magnolia was outstanding. Outstanding accomodations, food, vistas, hikes, swimming pool, bar, staff and owners. We took the most challenging on site hikes we have every done (and we live in the Adirondacks). But, also an excellent place and location to just relax. Transportation readily available to local towns and to and from the San Jose airport. Very ECO friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
new orleans, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

This place is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We stayed in Mono Congo with the super awesome semi-outdoor shower. Maureen, John, and all of the staff are so friendly and accommodating. The scenery is amazing... I loved seeing so many birds and flowers that I have never seen before. Their property has many options for day hikes. The hike to the waterfall where we could swim was my favorite. If we had been there in a warmer season I would have spent a lot more time in the pool too.

The food is sooo delicious! Maureen is a very talented cook, and they use a lot of fresh ingredients (best fruit ever!). Now that I am back home, I think about Rio Magnolia breakfast often, and wish that I was eating banana pancakes and drinking fresh juice while watching hummingbirds in the flowers by the pool instead of having a granola bar while swerving around potholes in my car.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

Edit note*
I just realized I forgot tom post a timely review of the Rio Magnolia until last night my fiance and I were discussing returning (it was that amazing) Everyone considering a stay in Costa Rica should know about the Rio Magnolia
When my fiance and I went to Rio Magnolia out trip was divided into two parts- the activity part and the relaxing part. We started with Rio Magnolia as the relaxing half. It could not have been more amazing or relaxing in every aspect.
Accommodation: the Mono Congo cabin. We made our reservations for one of the other cabins but we were given a free upgrade to this one and it was amazing. We saw another cabin, and the main lodge and all were gorgeous, though. The Mono Congo was silent as a caccoon at night, and pitch black with the lights out. Perfect. I got the best sleep of my life without hyperbole. The bed came with a canopy of mosquito netting but it was not at all necessary. Out only visitors were some especially lovely moths (we loved the windows open for the cool breeze) the went on their way after lights out. It was stunning. A beautiful shower with a big open view to the jungle. Fresh, clean towels everyday and all necessities provided. The porch was a lovely place to spend time and was even built around a beautiful jungle tree. Incredibly comfortable beds and pillows and fantastic sitting area. Tons of room for everything!
The hosts: enough cannot be said about John and Maureen. Nobody is exaggerating in their reviews. Beyond being exceptional at running a lodge they are kind, interesting, funny, calm, fun, lovely people with a vast generosity of spirit. We even had the privilege of meeting John's equally lovely parents. The entire staff is top notch. While we spent most of our time relaxing around the pool, John and Maureen provided the absolutely perfect amount of attention and let us know they could set up any activity we desired and take us into town whenever we would like.
The food: while I am not a picky eater, I am a vegetarian and Maureen enthusiastically accommodated me with some uncommonly tasty, exciting, interesting food. My fiance is an exceptionally picky eater, and while not a vegetarian he is much more difficult tom feed than I- he left every meal satisfied. Everything was so delicious and well prepared he tried a ton of new things; something I can barely get him to do! Since we stayed almost entirely at the lodge Maureen also made us lunch a couple times (not included) and they were delicious. Brian (fiance) said the tuna sandwich was the best he ever had.
The lodge: Oh my gosh. Words cannot describe! Beautiful sitting areas and interesting art and nick nacks. The pool is wonderful! Gorgeous views of the jungle, mountains, and the ocean in the distance. We watched many a gentle beautiful storm roll in like it was the biggest sky in the world. I often think of my amazing time by the pool, reading and hanging out, when I get stressed just to relax myself. Amazing trails. So many lovely walks!
Other amazing stuff: We asked for a transfer to the airport and Jesier (hope I spelled that correctly!) was so easy to find and wonderful. He took us on an amazing ride to the lodge pointing out beautiful sights along the way, and stopping for coffee and breaks as we liked. The dogs (Polomo, Darcy, Molly, and a little spitting image of Polomo we called little Polomo- I forget her real name. Oops,) are so cute and well behaved. I am NOT a dog person, but I fell in love with these guys. There are stunning toucans all over! You can walk on a trail a short distance and see a sloth!
Plus: lots of very good wine on hand and their house drinks are to die for.
We really hope to go back, and this time make Rio Magnolia the more activities based part of our trip. We just want to go back! Will add photos soon!
*note: when I originally wrote this review I noticed my autocorrect was changing every "Maureen" to "Darlene" hope I caught all of the errors this time around.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

What John and Maureen have accomplished boggles the brain. Their lodge is as magnificent as the location. They are the consummate hosts, thinking of every last detail. The food, the service, the rooms, the yummy margaritas, the spectacular views, if you are looking for a place to get away from it all, this is it. Driving in on a narrow, very bumpy, very steep jungle road and rounding the last corner to see their lodge through the trees seems like a mirage. How can this be? And after viewing it in person, it still seems like a mirage. How did they build this incredible structure way out in the jungle? And you have to go see the power plant with John. That alone is worth the price of admission! One thing to consider when booking this place: Your breakfast and dinner are both included. That makes it downright reasonable to stay here, especially considering the quality of the meals. But then the best part of all? We feel like we have truly made new friends. Thanks John and Maureen!
PS: John-the only thing missing is a T-Rex peeking over the balcony. Could you do something about that??

Room Tip: We stayed in El Cielo. Can't speak for the other rooms but this was awesome.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

We stayed here for our honeymoon and it was the right choice! Rio Magnolia is situated on the side of a mountain with rainforest all around the lodge. It was a secluded resort with beautiful views. Everyday we saw or heard beautiful birds, howler monkeys and other interesting creatures. The owners are very friendly and would do anything to improve your stay. The food was amazing!! Fresh fruit with breakfast each morning and 3 course meals at night. We chose the adventure package and enjoyed all of our excursions. I can say enough good things about this place...

Room Tip: El Cielo, where we stayed was set off from the house, a little more private and had great views
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

Incredible natural beauty, wonderful views, in the midst of nature, Maureen and John and their staff are excellent hosts. Delicious meals, great hiking right off the property, easy to arrange trips to nearby beaches, national parks, horseback treks, etc--or perfect to stay and relax in one of the most beautiful places in Costa Rica. Birds and other wildlife abound. Cannot say enough wonderful things about this very special place. Breakfast on the deck, toucans in the trees. Watching sunset from our balcony. Beautiful rooms and common areas. Great swimming pool. Perched on a hill with beautiful views of the valley, mountains and sea. John and Maureen know just how to make a guest comfortable and at peace in a magnificent setting. We will definitely be returning. This is our third trip to Costa Rica, a destination we always enjoy. Rio Magnolia is especially wonderful, we will stop for a stay in Rio Magnolia on all our future trips to Costa Rica..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical
Villas Rio Mar
Villas Rio Mar
#4 of 13 in Dominical

Been to Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge? Share your experiences!