GaryInDallas (Jan. 8) couldn't have put it better... The Dominical area is definitely worth a visit, the Villas Alturas are well located and offer a spectacular view - and, no, the hike up isn't that bad; just drive slowly! But more importantly, Scott and Russell were warm, welcoming and tented our every need, making sure our stay would be as wonderful as can be. And for those of you who enjoy your privacy, don't worry, they know when to pull back too. Don't be shy to ask them for restaurant recommendations or to suggest activities, they are pretty good at getting people and understanding what appeals to you. Do you homework too though, check out activities in the area like the ones suggested on this very website; you know yourself best and might find something you would otherwise have missed!
The only reason I'm giving this place 4 out of 5 instead of the highest score is because the rooms could be slightly updated eventually, like in the shower for instance where a crack or two could be sealed and the floor improved to evacuate the water (and sand) better. But realize that, due to the great service we and, without a doubt, you will receive here, it will make no difference to you. I recommend this place without hesitation.
P.S.: To those who wonder whether to rent a car to come here or not, I say it's up to you but we enjoyed having a car to visit different beaches and try restaurants in various areas. The road to get here is paved and no worse than any North American road (maybe better than some at home come to think of it); all you want to do is be mindful of is the way people drive, which is a bit recklessly. My advice is: take the GPS to get out of San José (you won't need it elsewhere on the Pacific coast), get a 4x4 to climb the steep hills you will find on many side roads and plan plenty of time to return your car... We rented from Thrifty and it took 1.5 hours to RETURN the car on Christmas Day. That is, even though they were waiting on our car and GPS to give it to new renters. It took people 2 to 3 hours to get a car they had rented and you, returning a car, wait in the same line as those who pick one up and fill out endless paper work. It makes no sense at all, but other rental companies had overbooked and didn't honor their reservations, so I suppose it could be worse. On the Caribbean side, we used a private taxi and a shuttle service to get to and from our hotel in Cahuita and it was cheaper than renting a car - and the best decision we'd made in the past decade. There is no way you want to be driving at night or in the rain on that coast and, in any event, we didn't need a car there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Alturas offers the perfect combination of peace and quiet, views, sun, beach and adventure. Situated in the Costa Ballena area, only 35 minutes south of Manuel Antonio, you can enjoy the cool beachy vibe of Dominical 15 min away, explore the Marino Ballena National Park in Uvita or sample the international cuisine offered in Ojochal. Villas Alturas offers a complimentary breakfast every morning and the restaurant is open for lunch and dinner every day. We will plan and book all of your tours as well as help you to connect with all of the local free adventures. Barbque grill, free parking, a/c bedrooms, great pool area with an incredible views! Our road was improved in December, 2013 very easily accessible. We can accommodate 30+ people for your parties, destination wedding or any other event. Time to breathe . . . Terms and Conditions ---------------------------------------------- AMEX is not accepted at this time Payment Policy: Rates include breakfast and daily maid service. Sheets are changed every third day. (Breakfast that is included in the rate for a One Bedroom Villa is for 2 people, Breakfast for a Two Bedroom Villa is for 4 people. ) Above rates INCLUDE 13% sales tax for the room only. A 10% service charge plus tax will be added to all restaurant and bar purchases. Management reserves the right to POSSIBLY withhold deposit per their discretion at time of reservation and is as follows: 50% of reservation is due at the time of booking. The remaining 50% is due at check out. The maximum guests in our villas is 2 per bedroom plus one additional if the villa contains a futon. Check-in time is 2:00pm. Check-out time is 10am. Early check-in and late check-out are subject to availability and may incur a charge. High season is December through April excluding holidays. Green season is May through November. Holiday rates apply December 20th through January 5th and require a 5 night minimum stay. Management declines all responsibility for valuables left in the villas. Cancellation Policy: There is no refund if cancellation is made 14 days or less prior to the reservation date. When cancellation notification is received between 15 and 30 days prior to the reservation, a $50 processing fee per room will be charged. Payment will be forfeited if guest(s) arrive after the specific date of reservation or depart prior to final day of reservation. All cancellations need to be sent via e-mail. A cancellation is not confirmed until you have received an email or fax confirmation from us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villas Alturas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Alturas Hotel Dominical
- Villas Alturas Costa Rica/Dominical