“Amazing Time!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
new orleans
“Amazing Time!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

What an amazing time and wishing i was still there. Cindy and her staff do a phenomenal job!
the views are amazing and you can spend a wonderful relaxing day by the pool. Great restaurant and bar. there's plenty to do in the nearby towns, we loved Zip Lining in the forrest, Kayaking on the OCean was amazing and relaxed on a Cattamaran. We will defenitely be back!!

Room Tip: all the rooms have amazin views!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mfandrade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica, and we stayed the first three nights at Villas Alturas. The place is beautiful, and the location is amazing. We arrived late, having driven three hours in the rain from San Jose, so we were tired and hungry. The kitchen was closed, but Cindy had them make something for us anyway. It was a really nice gesture, and the food was very good. Cindy and David were both extremely friendly and helpful. They booked tours for us, made calls for us (we don't speak Spanish), drew maps for us, and the list goes on. The breakfasts were also very good, and it was awesome to be able to look out over the ocean from the dining area as we ate. We stayed in villa 3, which had the best views (in our opinion). All in all, it was a very nice start to our vacation, and we hope to go back for another visit some day!

Room Tip: Villa 3 has the best views. Also, a 4WD vehicle is highly recommended for getting there and getting...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OccasionalTravelerNJ
Esterillos Este, Costa Rica
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I came to the hotel to just get away from my business for the night i was in heaven no noise and in the morning the view from the pool was magnificent I got to spend quality time with my friend with no distractions will do it again someday i hope sooner then later
The staff we awesome as well
Cathy

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Not only was Villas Alturas an amazing hotel -- great, spacious rooms, delicious food, friendly staff -- the staff really went above and beyond to make sure we had a great vacation. My friend and I had an almost comical level of disasters on this trip: car accidents, getting lost, getting stuck on treacherous country roads, etc. etc., and every time we had some sort of calamity the staff out of their way to help us out of these ordeals. Really fantastic people. I would definitely recommend staying at Villas Alturas, it really made an already great vacation even better! I'll definitely be going back the next time I travel to Costa Rica!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Robert B
cindyp764, General Manager at Villas Alturas, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for the kind words, we appreciate your recognition of our hard work!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I've been travelling to this part of Costa Rica for nearly a decade now and this place has the best views of anywhere I've stayed. They are truly mesmerizing. I really enjoyed having a beer and watching the Tucans in the trees in the late afternoon while the howler monkeys were calling to each other from across the valley. The rooms are on stilts at the edge of the hill so you are at tree height and I saw a coati eating fruit in the tree just outside my window one morning. The staff was very friendly and helpful and they cook a great breakfast. They seem to really enjoy their work and meeting new people. I'd like to come back sometime when the whales are around to watch them breaching down in the bay. For people unfamiliar with driving in Costa Rica, Villas Alturas is a good option as the access road is excellant by local standards, easy to find just off the Costanera Highway, and you just follow it straight up to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter H
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I just returned from an excellent 2 night stay at Villas Alturas. The villas have an incredible ,panoramic view of the coast, jungle canopy and mountains. The ride up the dirt road to the hotel is a bit of an adventure and a 4 x 4 is required. But face it, you pretty much need a 4 x 4 anywhere in C.R. especially during the rainy season which has just started. My room ( Villa #3) had an unobstructed view of the coast. A large covered patio complete with ceiling fans and a hammock where I spent plenty of quality siesta time. Toucans and Howler monkeys greeted me with their calls each morning. Letting me know it was time to wake up and go for a swim in the very nice pool before breakfast. I also saw a couple of monkeys each morning as I hiked the trails just above the hotel.

My hosts, David,Cindy, Leah and Josh were all very friendly and helpful during my stay. Leah and Josh welcomed me on my 1st night and hooked me up with some freshly baked cookies as well as a very refreshing cocktail. David made a delicious breakfast each morning ( more banana pancakes please ! ) and Cindy provided lots of info about the area, things to do and places to see. The beaches, town and national parks are all just a few minutes away. Or you can just completely kick back, relax by the pool or in your hammock. This was about my 12th trip to C.R. and my 1st to the Dominical area. I am looking forward to my next trip back and will definitely stay here again. Thanks to every one @ Villas Alturas, John

Room Tip: Villa #3 was a very good place to stay. In front of the pool and with an unobstructed view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ITSLINC
Playa Bejuco, Costa Rica
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I are gringos who've lived in CR for nine years and this random unplanned weekend getaway was probably the best I've had since we moved here. The properties view was so breathtaking I never even opened my kindle (avid reader). Sitting and looking at the view from the patio of my room filled the day. Getaways are not all about accommodations but also the whole package ie: David and Cindy (who sublet/host and manage the property). I liked them the second I walked in for their polite, welcoming and accommodating personalities. We met great people just hanging at the beautiful pool and at a potluck dinner in the evening. I actually have only written on Tripadvisor twice in my life so that goes to show how satisfied I am. Enjoy this great escape.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie T
cindyp764, Manager at Villas Alturas, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you Julie! You brought an energy to our hotel that was so refreshing! We enjoyed your stay very much and definitely invite you back anytime!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical
Oxygen Jungle Villas
Oxygen Jungle Villas
#1 of 12 in Uvita
Cristal Ballena Boutique Hotel & Spa

Been to Villas Alturas? Share your experiences!