“My two cents...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort
Jacksonville, Florida
“My two cents...”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

OK, my wife normally does these sort of reviews; vacations are fun and then you go back to work...
It's the same year after year, right?
Until now...
We spent a week with Kjeld, Marcela, Jossue, Pablo, and Sabriina at Kalon Surf Coaching Resort and I am still home sick. Each morning we awoke to the conversations of the monkeys outside our windows, and then enjoyed Marcela's fresh baked breads as we prepared for the days surf instruction. Kjeld and Jossue kept us busy with drills, evaluations, stretching and all sorts of fun stuff in the surf. We shared our lunch on the beach with the local Iguana's and Hermit Crabs as they listened intently to tales of our morning accomplishments and exploits (while waiting for a handout). After lunch we hit the waves, or in my case, napped under the palms as my son and daughter honed their skills in the surf. The evenings were spent enjoying family dinner as prepared by Pablo and Sabriina while we laughed and recounted the day.
As a 54 year old man who can count the times I have been in the ocean while I live less than two miles from the beach…I have now ordered my first surf board with Kjeld’s help.
I need to polish my skills before I ask for a job at Kalon…

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KenH1957

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I am a mother of two teenagers and it is very hard to find a vacation spot that everyone loves....Kalon is that place! My Husband (54) and kids (13 and 16) started lessons with next to no experience and left confident with their surfing skills. The mansion and entire team made this such an awesome vacation. From Marcella who just managed everything for us, to Jossua, who was and incredible surfer as well as a riot, Sabrina, who helped with all the household items, and finally the private chef, Pablo, who blew us away with five star quality dinners. The owner Kjeld's concept of doing actual teaching, on the sand, in the water, and finally video analysis before dinner worked beyond what we could have hoped for. We learned so much about the "real" Costa Rica, not just the tourista spots. Even learned some Spanish. Left feeling like we were part of the family. Got back late last night to Florida and before everyone went to bed we talked about when we could go back!!!.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisabharper
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 27 July 2011

It's simply a lifetime experience: beautiful beach and an amazing improvement in surfing in just a few days, besides an excelent service, feeling more than a guest, like family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
KalonSurf, Owner at Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
Thank you very much for the review! We had such a great time and your progress was great (with evidence on photos and videos!) And indeed, you are part of the Kalon family now =) Keep surfing!
San José
Reviewed 27 July 2011

It is 7 am. I wake up for breakfast with a big cup of coffee to last for the hours under the sun. It has been raining in Dominical, so the jungle breathes its green breath around the deck, the jungle is singing its jungle racket; you are comfortably drinking coffee and thinking about your poor surfing technique. There is no rush, there are no alarms, no orders. The sun wakes you up and you want to surf. I have surfed before, but am still a begginer. I miss the wave, the wind of the ocean, the speed, the state of bliss that gives you a board and the sea water and the power of the sea. I want to be in the water.

At 9 am you are inside the car with your friends, driving through the Coastal highway of Costa Rica to El Chaman, or Hermosa, or Dominicalito, any beach that Kjeld and Jossue (the expert and the master) have chosen carefully. You get out, Jossue tells you how to stand up, how to feel the wave, how to make your muscles gain their new memories, their newest skill. Jossue patiently waits until you get it. I have surfed before, but I am no surfer. My friends have never used a surfboard, and yet here we are all the same, it is all new.

Jossue eventually thinks that you are ready for the ocean. My friends are in the outside (the inside, as Jossue names it) where the white water is abundant. Jossue helps them paddle the wave, helps them get up and they start getting up, they start riding the white water.

I am a little bit more advanced. Kjeld told me about the turtle dive back home with some videos, so I practice it. He waits while I battle with the constant waves and my city life physical condition. You are under his supervision. He watches your position on the board and keeps telling you “You have to go a little bit more to the back, man”. It is instantly familiar, like a surfing brother that patiently waits until you know what you are doing. “You have to paddle harder man”. He would not lie to you about your bad surfing... and that is one of the things that make him such a great teacher. I can not help it, I am too tired but I am not as good a student, so I try not to make it too obvious. Nevertheless, he will tell me “Let’s go outside man”.

Back on the beach, Marce takes pictures of your tired self walking to her oasis. She gives you a banana and some pineapple and even a brownie. Marce is always smiling. I sit in the shade for a while to rest, and she tells me that the the other ones are doing great with Jossue on the beach “Here, look”. Suddenly, I am anxious to get inside the water again, I am not tired anymore.

After surfing the whole day, we go back to the house to see the videos. Marce videotapes from the beach, and there is also a GoPro that tapes you right from the tip of the board. Simply fantastic. You go through one and a half hours of footage of yourself and your friends surfing like it is ten minutes. You always want to see it again. And Kjeld freezes the video and tells you exactly what went wrong with your position or with the wave or with the moment that you decided to stand up, and Jossue is there to show you how to do it right. In your face man, no excuses, you have to do it like it should be the next day.

I have been trying to surf for almost six years now. I never believed in a surfing school, though I did get a class once. I surfed on the wrong board, in the wrong beach with the wrong approach. For years. The frustration started building up, the surfing was not surfing anymore, it was all paddling and duck diving and wipe out after wipe out after wipe out. One crushed board and perhaps four or five waves that I managed somehow to ride. I went on just because it is such a unique feeling, the surf. There is no way to ridiculize it. You can make fun of office jobs or of scientists or of football (22 men running around a ball in shorts?) but there is no possible language form to make fun of surfing. You are riding the ocean, the wave, the power of the sea. You are Neptuno, the God of the Waters, you own the shore. That said, I was losing hope anyway, until I went to Kalon. Kalon, where Kjeld will tell you “There is no sense in surfing if you are not having fun man”.

On the second day, I ride a wave like I had never before. The Santa Cruz board just glides over the ocean, with me on top. It is total bliss. On the third day I am already trying a shorter board, already attempting to turn back to the white water to get speed and then back again, just like a pro. These are the things that they do at Kalon.

In the evening we enjoy a perfectly fresh mahi mahi (the chef tells us that that fish was alive earlier in the day) in the comfort of the house, the headquarters. Or we simply grill some red meat with wine. One day we make plans to go out, but we do not make it. You feel at home when you are at Kalon, you want to surf, you want to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank macbatmanuel
KalonSurf, Owner at Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Thank you so much! We knew you are a good writer, but getting such a review ...we did not expect! Absolutely great to hear that our 'method' work and this makes it that much easier to keep doing what we doing. We loved your stay with us and do hope to see you soon with us again!
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We were on a pre-honeymoon trip in Costa Rica in june 2011. We heard about the great surf facilities and the beautiful nature, so we combined it in one trip. We searched for a luxury surf resort and found it at Kalon Surf. Stayed in a beautiful villa with a fantastic view and a jacuzzi! Thanks to the owner (Kjeld), we had a great stay, learned to surf and really luxurious accommodation! We would love to come back for our honeymoon trip!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
KalonSurf, Owner at Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
It was great having you! You were lovely guests and as a couple fantastic. It would be great to have you here for your honeymoon again - we will make it something special!
New York City
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Kalon surf nailed it! Gorgeous accommodations, fun people, great surf on a beautiful coastline, and detailed coaching! I started out as a newbie, and left as a surfer! Will definitely recommend to anyone interested in surfing Costa Rica.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank adventures1972
KalonSurf, Owner at Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thank you very much! We loved having you here and hope you will come back soon. We loved your commitment - definitely helped you improve quickly.

Kjeld
Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed 28 May 2011

If you want to come to Costa Rica to learn how to surf AND want to do it in style, this is where you need to go. Teaching techniques are personalized and effective to ensure you get the most out of your stay, and the accomodation is gorgeous and extremely comfortable. Although it is not right on the beach, the upside is an amazing view of the Pacific right from your window. Rooms are big, have a deck overlooking the rainforest and a great big bathroom; and the team is very friendly and always willing to help in whatever way they can (thank you Kjeld!). Loved my stay here and highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Great to see your review here - it keep us going. We had a lovely time with you. We're happy to see that the view made more than up for the fact that we're not right on the beach (but still very close!). Please come back some time soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical
Roca Verde
#9 of 14 in Dominical
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge
Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Villas
Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Vil...
#2 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas

Been to Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort? Share your experiences!