All reviews video analysis green waves chef juan playa linda other guests catching waves photos and videos intermediate level communal table homemade brownies airport pickup some great photos coffee tasting teaching techniques total beginner luxury vacation beautiful mansion
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I was lucky enough to spend four days and five at Kalon Surf in November. My primary objective in going to Kalon was to get some first class surfing instruction and was not disappointed. Jossue and Roberto are top-notch instructors. (Jossue also does an awesome backflip from the rope swing at the waterfall!) The extensive use of video analysis was an invaluable training aid. Everything at Kalon Surf is all inclusive from pickup and return at the airport to three incredible meals a day. The accomodations at Kalon are also first class. It didn't take long until I felt more like I was staying with old friends than just a guest. Many thanks to Kjeld, Marcela, Jossue, Roberta and Sabrina (and Kala!) for making me feel so welcome. Unfortunately, my wife was not able to make the trip with me but I've already booked a return trip for both of us in April.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Trip, after trip, after trip.. Falling into a routine with vacations can happen almost as quickly as our daily agenda. Same destinations, hotels, and restaurants, until you realize that you want to try something new, different and maybe a little spontaneous. Well, we were no different. And thankfully, those thoughts lead us directly to Kalon Surf.

Hands down, without a doubt the absolute best vacation. My boyfriend and I booked out surfing adventure TWO days before we left. Rob had surfed a little back in college. But myself, being a Louisiana native, never mixed alligators and surf boards. So we tried out luck with a trip that guaranteed the best surfing experience. And it was nothing short of successful!

The accommodations were wonderful, but the service and camaraderie was top notch. The people who initially were your coach, photographer, coordinator, and cook quickly became new best friends. Everyone went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and enjoying out stay. You will never meet a group of individuals who love what they do more than everyone at Kalon!

The layout of the trip was exactly what we were looking for. Adventure and activity with a side of relaxation. Surfing early morning and afternoon was a great workout, and made the midday lunch, movies, games, and lounging much appreciated. There was never a short supply of incredible food, drinks, smoothies, pineapple and the famous brownies! Having video analysis of each surfing session was the key to leaning and improving the way we surfed. It is always easy for someone to describe what to do, but see yourself in action creates a different realm of learning. Plus having some insane photography to prove to everyone back home how amazing the trip was is definitely a plus!

We began as intimidated paddlers on boards and ended surfing with the locals. Regardless of your level of experience you will leave Kalon Surf a better and stronger surfer. We are forever thankful for the incredible memories and experience that everyone at Kalon provided us... but they haven't seen the last of us! We are currently planning out next getaway to beautiful Domincal, for a reunion with some of our new best friends!

If you're looking for the perfect wave.... look no further than Kalon Surf Camp!

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank A-DubNY
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I just returned from a fantastic week at Kalon Surf - in many ways, it was like two vacations in one: the surfing component was a great workout but it was also a very relaxing time in a house with a great view of the ocean and friendly, interesting and welcoming people who quickly become your friends. This was easily one of the best vacations I've ever taken.

From a surfing perspective, the instruction was great, both on the beach and in the water. Jossue and Roberto are passionate and enthusiastic instructors, striking the perfect balance between being encouraging and also pushing me to get better. A really key element of the experience (and one I didn't full appreciate until I benefited from it firsthand) was the daily video analysis. It really helped to see what I was doing (even the embarrassing bits!) so that I could visualize what I needed to work at the next surf session. As a bonus, they also make a great video at the end of the week that shows highlights and charts the progress you've made.

The surfing component alone would have made this a great trip, but the time at the house was equally wonderful. Kjeld, Marcela and Sabriina were accommodating and attentive hosts. The house was great, with spectacular views of the Pacific and an awesome house dog, Kala. The food was great and plentiful, and the Wednesday massage was just what the doctor ordered. The overall atmosphere was relaxing and friendly, and I hated to leave at the end of the week.

It's also worth noting the lengths to which Kalon Surf goes to take care of everything - I was picked up and dropped off at the airport and really had nothing to worry about in between save for making progress on my surfing and enjoying myself and relaxing. You will definitely leave with an appreciation for Pura Vida and desire to return.

Many, many thanks to Kalon Surf for a great week!

Cheers
Ned Sheeran

• Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Ned S
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed with Kalon for a week. The enthousiatic team arranged everything so good, we only had to focus on how to surf. The nice villa and the specteculair views made the day complete. Unfortunately we had a lot of rain, so we had a few possiblities to explore the beautiful surroundings. We had 3 wonderful meals a day and even the getting up at 4.30 a.m. once was ok (although if getting up early is as hard as it is for me, you better inquire upfront when high tide during your stay). On wednesday we had a nice and needed massage. Altogehther we had a very nice week. Kjeld, Marcella, Jossue, Roberto, Sabrina and Evelyn thanks a lot for a wonderful week!

Reviewed 13 October 2011

I have been back from my trip to Kalon Surf for a month now and my friends are pretty tired of me telling them how awesome the trip was. My friend and I wanted to go to a surf school where everything was taken care of and we could just focus on learning to surf and having fun. Kalon was the perfect place. We surfed all morning with Jose, a great instructor and awesome guy, had lunch on beautiful beaches, surfed some more in the afternoons, then went back to the mansion we stayed in for video analysis, hung out with Kjeld and Marcela who run the place, and then had amazing dinners prepared by Pablo, the terrific on-site chef. The folks at Kalon are totally focused on making your trip a great and very personal experience and I can't recommend it enough.

Date of stay: September 2011