“A perfect start of 2012 !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort
London
“A perfect start of 2012 !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We arrived on New Years Day late at night, slightly tired after attending a wedding in Colombia and wondering if we were up for 4 days of surfing. The next morning all possible concerns were gone the moment we woke up and saw the Pacific, looked around at the beautiful house and realised that we found our small paradise here in Costa Rica. This feeling never left us the days we spend together with the Kalon team.
Having only done some windsurfing in the past (which was of little use I discovered), the surf coaches made you feel eager to go and keep having fun, even if you kept on falling off the board. The video analysis made actually learning how to surf easier and quicker because you could see where you could improve. The most impressed I was when my 12 year old daughter was struggling and the whole team supported her and got her going again. I think they were even clapping, whistling and yelling louder than she was when she rode her first waves again. I think anyone that wants to learn or improve how to surf can benefit from the Kalon Surf approach. My body was tired but I wanted to keep on going surfing, so enjoyable was it !
Besides the surfing, the most impressive was how all other elements of the experience like the house, the rooms, the food and the Kalon team came together to give you the feeling that you are staying with some old friends who do their best to make you feel at home because they want you to stay as long as you want and come back whenever you feel like. If that was the intention then it worked for a 100%, since my daughter already asked when we are going back and with nowadays the easy connections between Europe and Costa Rica, this will certainly happen !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hsholland

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

For this years vacation I was searching for a unique spot where I can learn surfing. If the hotel was nice and the area would be nice even better. And if the people there would be cool it would even be great.

But: this stay at the Kalon Surf School exceeded my expectations.

First: The house where we stayed was a cool James Bond Villa with a stunning view over the Pacific Ocean. The room was cool, clean, there was an own terrasse with an own hammock. The villa is situated in the middle of the jungle, you can see and hear so many animals, it was amazing. And: the food was delicious.

Second: The surf lessons were absolutely professional and fun. I was teached surfing step by step, beginning from small white water waves until I was riding breathtaking bluewater waves. Yes guys, I saw a lot in my life but you will NEVER forget your first wave! And: the beaches where we have been were unique.

Third and most important: The team consisting of the owner Kjeld and the very nice people around him made my stay perfect. When I came there it felt like visiting friends whom I know for a long time. They gave me an warm welcome, let my enjoy my stay wonderfully and made it really hard to leave these marvellous people.

All in all: it was a stay which I will never forget and always look back to it until I will be there again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

I was lucky enough to spend four days and five at Kalon Surf in November. My primary objective in going to Kalon was to get some first class surfing instruction and was not disappointed. Jossue and Roberto are top-notch instructors. (Jossue also does an awesome backflip from the rope swing at the waterfall!) The extensive use of video analysis was an invaluable training aid. Everything at Kalon Surf is all inclusive from pickup and return at the airport to three incredible meals a day. The accomodations at Kalon are also first class. It didn't take long until I felt more like I was staying with old friends than just a guest. Many thanks to Kjeld, Marcela, Jossue, Roberta and Sabrina (and Kala!) for making me feel so welcome. Unfortunately, my wife was not able to make the trip with me but I've already booked a return trip for both of us in April.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Trip, after trip, after trip.. Falling into a routine with vacations can happen almost as quickly as our daily agenda. Same destinations, hotels, and restaurants, until you realize that you want to try something new, different and maybe a little spontaneous. Well, we were no different. And thankfully, those thoughts lead us directly to Kalon Surf.

Hands down, without a doubt the absolute best vacation. My boyfriend and I booked out surfing adventure TWO days before we left. Rob had surfed a little back in college. But myself, being a Louisiana native, never mixed alligators and surf boards. So we tried out luck with a trip that guaranteed the best surfing experience. And it was nothing short of successful!

The accommodations were wonderful, but the service and camaraderie was top notch. The people who initially were your coach, photographer, coordinator, and cook quickly became new best friends. Everyone went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and enjoying out stay. You will never meet a group of individuals who love what they do more than everyone at Kalon!

The layout of the trip was exactly what we were looking for. Adventure and activity with a side of relaxation. Surfing early morning and afternoon was a great workout, and made the midday lunch, movies, games, and lounging much appreciated. There was never a short supply of incredible food, drinks, smoothies, pineapple and the famous brownies! Having video analysis of each surfing session was the key to leaning and improving the way we surfed. It is always easy for someone to describe what to do, but see yourself in action creates a different realm of learning. Plus having some insane photography to prove to everyone back home how amazing the trip was is definitely a plus!

We began as intimidated paddlers on boards and ended surfing with the locals. Regardless of your level of experience you will leave Kalon Surf a better and stronger surfer. We are forever thankful for the incredible memories and experience that everyone at Kalon provided us... but they haven't seen the last of us! We are currently planning out next getaway to beautiful Domincal, for a reunion with some of our new best friends!

If you're looking for the perfect wave.... look no further than Kalon Surf Camp!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A-DubNY
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I just returned from a fantastic week at Kalon Surf - in many ways, it was like two vacations in one: the surfing component was a great workout but it was also a very relaxing time in a house with a great view of the ocean and friendly, interesting and welcoming people who quickly become your friends. This was easily one of the best vacations I've ever taken.

From a surfing perspective, the instruction was great, both on the beach and in the water. Jossue and Roberto are passionate and enthusiastic instructors, striking the perfect balance between being encouraging and also pushing me to get better. A really key element of the experience (and one I didn't full appreciate until I benefited from it firsthand) was the daily video analysis. It really helped to see what I was doing (even the embarrassing bits!) so that I could visualize what I needed to work at the next surf session. As a bonus, they also make a great video at the end of the week that shows highlights and charts the progress you've made.

The surfing component alone would have made this a great trip, but the time at the house was equally wonderful. Kjeld, Marcela and Sabriina were accommodating and attentive hosts. The house was great, with spectacular views of the Pacific and an awesome house dog, Kala. The food was great and plentiful, and the Wednesday massage was just what the doctor ordered. The overall atmosphere was relaxing and friendly, and I hated to leave at the end of the week.

It's also worth noting the lengths to which Kalon Surf goes to take care of everything - I was picked up and dropped off at the airport and really had nothing to worry about in between save for making progress on my surfing and enjoying myself and relaxing. You will definitely leave with an appreciation for Pura Vida and desire to return.

Many, many thanks to Kalon Surf for a great week!

Cheers
Ned Sheeran

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Ned S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed with Kalon for a week. The enthousiatic team arranged everything so good, we only had to focus on how to surf. The nice villa and the specteculair views made the day complete. Unfortunately we had a lot of rain, so we had a few possiblities to explore the beautiful surroundings. We had 3 wonderful meals a day and even the getting up at 4.30 a.m. once was ok (although if getting up early is as hard as it is for me, you better inquire upfront when high tide during your stay). On wednesday we had a nice and needed massage. Altogehther we had a very nice week. Kjeld, Marcella, Jossue, Roberto, Sabrina and Evelyn thanks a lot for a wonderful week!

• Stayed November 2011
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

I have been back from my trip to Kalon Surf for a month now and my friends are pretty tired of me telling them how awesome the trip was. My friend and I wanted to go to a surf school where everything was taken care of and we could just focus on learning to surf and having fun. Kalon was the perfect place. We surfed all morning with Jose, a great instructor and awesome guy, had lunch on beautiful beaches, surfed some more in the afternoons, then went back to the mansion we stayed in for video analysis, hung out with Kjeld and Marcela who run the place, and then had amazing dinners prepared by Pablo, the terrific on-site chef. The folks at Kalon are totally focused on making your trip a great and very personal experience and I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical
Villas Rio Mar
Villas Rio Mar
#4 of 13 in Dominical
Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Villas
Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Vil...
#2 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,066 reviews

Been to Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort? Share your experiences!