“Kalon Rocks baby!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort
Miami, Florida
“Kalon Rocks baby!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Wow! What a great adventure and life changing experience! I first started reviewing surf resorts when wanting to surprise my man with a trip. I finally decided on Kalon surf. I figured a luxury surf resort would be a trip in itself and if I learned to surf than that was icing on the cake.
Marcela was my contact and she was sweet, professional and accommodated all of my requests, from choosing a room to locating a place to donate school supplies & clothing. From the moment we got picked up in San Jose until we returned to the airport everything & everyone was top notch!
When we arrived at the resort we were welcomed with fresh fruits and a refreshing juice concoction. We were able to help ourselves to cold beers and wine 24-7 from the fridge.
The breakfasts were plentiful and just what we needed to get rolling in the mornings. Lunch and Dinners were served with beautiful presentation, taste and I think the the chefs threw some love in there for good measure!
Our room (Jungle room) had a picture window and a second door leading out to nice patio which was great for meditation or Pilates. However, we just loved that we had Toucans, Capuchin monkeys and even the elusive 3 toed tree sloth hanging out and welcoming us each day!
SURFING...ya baby this is what you come for! Let me start by saying YES you can teach a dog new tricks! Thanks to Roberto & Estefan I went from a beach bum to a surfer! From my first wave I was up and riding all the way into shore. Over the next few days I could feel and SEE (due to the video analysis) my progression. The video analysis is fun and inspiring as you get to hone in what you are doing right...and wrong ;)
The first couple of days were afternoon sessions so you could feel like you were on vacation w/o having early mornings. These were great as the sun was setting at the end of the day, beautiful. The morning sessions were cool because you were up with the sun and just totally communing with nature. WEDNESDAY was massage day and OH so needed. You will be sore in places you didn't imagine but it's worth every ache! BTW my husband was totally shredding by the end of the week and it was his FIRST time as well!
My husband and I have been officially bitten by the surfing bug...our lives have been enriched and we look forward to this new chapter in our lives together...as surfers!
Pura Vida baby!
Angie & Dan Novigrod

Room Tip: The jungle room was great...loved it's privacy. The pool is chilly in December.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AngieMiami

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I was crazy excited to go to Kalon Surf after reading all the reviews. Kalon definitely lived up to all my expectations and then some. We made friends with the other guests who were completely awesome and plan on keeping in touch with them. Kalon Surf took care of everything from picking us up at the airport with pit stops along the way to the mansion to grab some beers... check out the crocodiles and watch the sunset. The rooms were very nice and everything was kept clean and in order the entire week. The views are to die for and there are fun monkeys to watch in the trees!

Now for the Kalon Surf team... Kjeld and Silene are an amazing couple and made us feel completely welcome. They joined us all for dinner some nights, and Kjeld joined for surf lessons too! Speaking of surf lessons, Roberto and Esteban were always happy to take us to the beach and help us hone our surf skills. (I didn't have much skill... but they never gave up on me!) I think everybody stood up on the board on the first day... at least once. And it was really awesome to see the progression over the week. Roberto is full of great knowledge and always keeping an eye on you, checking to see if he can give you any tips to better your surfing. Esteban is right there to lend you a hand... or his leash to help pull you over some big waves! He's always in a playful mood, like the brother I never had. And all of your surf moments are captured via photo or video by Diego who camps out on the beach to get video for your daily video analysis. Sometimes you can catch him dancing on the beach when he's wearing his headphones... hehehe Fancy foot work! At the house Marcela is always around to take care of anything you need! She's seriously on top of everything and can book any excursions you want to go on. Esmeralda is freaking amazing! She made the best food all week! I was seriously in awe of her mad skills in the kitchen and plotted the entire week of how I would sneak her home with me. Chris is a new member of the team and wow was he awesome! For his first week on the job, he was killing it! It was great waking up in the morning and seeing his smiling face taking care of breakfast, etc. And I can't forget the dogs... Kala is so much fun on the beach! Luna is hiliarious and can keep me entertained with her antics for hours. Coco is adorable. And Charlie... well he's the man!

You may wonder why I spent so much time talking about everybody (and that's still not EVERYBODY). But that's because this team MAKES your trip. Kalon Surf is one big family, and after spending a week with them, you feel like you're part of the family too. It was really hard to leave them, and I've been daydreaming ever since I got home of when I can get back there.

Room Tip: Room availability is limited depending on when you book. But as far as rooms go, there is a room in...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

Kalon is a Villa on top of the hill in Dominical with a southing view to the jungle and ocean. Our surf holiday started as soon as we stepped foot onto this enchanted property. Simply everything was cared for, from waking up to driving down to the beach where our surf coaching begun at perfect surf times. We both made wonderful progress in our surf technique and style and enjoyed the personalized surf analyses every day. Our improvement and joy for surfing has increased even more. We left Kalon surf with the enquiry if there was space to extend our stay for another week of our holiday and we were pleased and sad at the same time that it was nearly booked out despite of the rain season...and who does not love to surf in the rain!! P.S: first time no sunburn since even quality sun protection was provided.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Kalon Surf mansion in June 2012. Though I had very high expectations based on a personal recommendation of a friend and all the enthusiastic user reviews here on Tripadvisor, my stay was even better than I could have hoped for.

I was in Costa Rica on a business trip and thought it would be a waste not to take the opportunity to extend my stay for some surfing, hence I booked at Kalon as a solo traveler. The guys and girls at Kalon made me feel at home and as part of the family from minute one.

The mansion itself is simply amazing. Located on a mountaintop, with a stunning view on the ocean and jungle, and especially when experienced from within the incredible infinity pool (see my traveller pictures). The house is very luxurious, yet super cozy and inviting. The living rooms on both floors give you that cozy feeling that only the very best hostels can give, however then mixed with pure luxury. The moment you step into the house you feel completely relaxed and instantly know that you are going to have a fantastic week.

The food served was delicious each and every day. Local dishes and freshly caught fish (or good quality meat for the carnivores) as well as the freshest fruit and smoothies you can wish for. It is very important to get good nutritious food when you've been out surfing (remember, it is not only fun, it is also hard work haha), and the crew takes a lot of care in providing just that.

The surfing classes were also of the highest quality. On the nearby beaches there are waves suitable for complete beginners, those with some experience (like myself) but also for those die-hard surfers who seek the big waves. Mike, Roberto and Kjeld were the best instructors I have experienced thus far. Every minute of the lessons was fun and they are able to explain very practically how you can further improve your surfing. They have a lot of patience and teach in a way that you get so much motivation from. And then seeing that actual improvement each time you go back into the water is an indescribable feeling.

And all of that ties into what, in my opinion, really sets Kalon Surf apart from any other place: the crew and the whole vibe / atmosphere that they create. Kjeld, Silene, Marcela, Mike, Roberto, they are incredibly hospitable and are guaranteed to deliver you one of the best (if not THE best) weeks of your life.

Altogether, I wish I could have given Kalon Surf 6 stars, but Tripadvisor will not let me. Do not doubt any further, book your holiday at Kalon Surf as soon as you can - you will not regret it! I will surely come back for a second visit (and probably third, fourth, ...), but then with my girlfriend and/or other friends, as I want them to experience such an amazing holiday as well.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Williamsburg, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Kalon Surf was one of our best vacations ever because the other guests were so much fun. Roberto and Mike are great instructors who make surfing not just challenging, but a ton of fun.

The house staff, Marcela, Esme, Maria and Vincent and did great job taking care of us.

When problems came up the owners did everything in their power to make it right, and to learn how to avoid the issues in the future.

We truly hope Kalon Surf continues to strive to be the top surf school for people who want to learn to surf while staying at boutique accommodations.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lou F
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

This place is more than a surf camp - it is a sanctuary. Nestled in paradise, the crew at Kalon go above and beyond to make sure your stay is everything you want it to be and to make your experience is a personalized one you will never forget. The surf coaches are highly skilled, knowledgeable and professional. You WILL learn to surf at Kalon. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ExHyattMember
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

We recently returned from one of our favorite travel experiences to-date—a week at Kalon in Dominical. We have two young daughters, one of which was insistent on learning to surf after watching Soul Surfer. After realizing she wasn’t going to give up, we decided we’d like to learn how to surf as well and could incorporate it into a family vacation. Our internet search for comprehensive surf lessons for novices led us to Kalon as the best fit. The owner, Kjeld, and his wife Silene, have put a lot of thought into crafting a top-notch vacation experience. The surf lessons are very effective, with instruction beginning on land and reinforcing steps that are easy to remember. The surf coaches, Roberto and Mike, are very helpful, not to mention incredibly likable, and were by our side every step of the way. As beginners, this was important, and we really appreciated their assistance with selecting the right waves. The Kalon staff takes surfing seriously, but they also gauge the level of interest of their guests and respond accordingly. They’ll take you as deep as you want to go, going into wave theory and giving you tips to continue to surf once you’re home. The video analysis aspect was extremely helpful, not to mention entertaining. We were also very thankful that the instructors focused closely on our girls. In fact, we never felt like we had to be by their side or be concerned about their well-being which allowed us to focus on our own surf experience.

The house was amazing. It’s almost as if it was built with a luxury surf school in mind. All spaces are lovely and the view is incredible. From the infinity pool, you look beyond the green foliage of the hillside to the ocean. It’s a view you never tire of enjoying. The food was delicious and healthy. They put a lot of thought into menu choices and variety. It was so nice to come into the kitchen area and see Esmeralda, the lead chef, and her assistant Maria, creating the next yummy meal of the day.

The schedule for the week was just right. We have had the tendency in the past to over schedule our vacations which leaves us exhausted as we head home. Dominical is a quiet area and while we did do the zipline (very fun!) and ventured into town one afternoon, there was plenty of time to relax. Surfing each morning was physically challenging, and left us fairly sore so having the afternoons unstructured provided an opportunity to read in a hammock or watch the storms that rolled through.

In addition to the beautiful beaches and great surf instruction, one of the best things about our time at Kalon was the people. They were all so warm and friendly, even the landscaper, Luis, and our taxi driver, Gilligan, who told us about the towns we passed through on our way back to San Jose. They made us feel so welcome and we really enjoyed getting to know them. Marcela is every bit as wonderful as the reviews indicate. She is a special person, who touches you in her quiet way. And then there are the other guests . . . . We hit the jackpot and shared our week with an amazing woman from Napa. It was so neat to get to know her over the course of the week and feel a connection grow as we shared surfing, food and drink. We really do miss everyone we met and hope that we will be able to go back in the not too distant future. Kalon is a special place, primarily because of the people!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical
#9 of 14 in Dominical
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge
Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas
Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Villas
Tulemar's Buena Vista Luxury Vil...
#2 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,097 reviews

Been to Kalon Surf - Surf Coaching Resort? Share your experiences!