We did not spent time at the lodges of Hacienda Baru itself, but we booked the tour "A night in the jungle". It was one of the highlights of our trip in Costa Rica. First of all we must say that we were so lucky to be the only guests that booked the jungle trip that night. So in fact we had a private tour, just the two of us and the guide. I can imagine the experience will be different if you are in a bigger group of people. That said, we had a GREAT tour. We started the tour at Hacienda Baru at 3 pm, walking slightly uphill with a guide into the forest. Our guide was very sympathetic and skilled. He showed us so many birds and other animals. He even carried a huge pair of binoculars all the way, to show us things up close. The walk was easy and not too strenous at all despite the heat, as we could walk in our own pace and stopped frequently. Around 6 pm we arrived at the camp, which is a wooden platform with roof in the middle of the jungle, with chairs and tables to sit and enjoy the surroundings. There are also several simple cabins to sleep. We had a 2-person cabin. It is a wooden platform, the walls are made of mosquito nets, 3 walls are blinded so you have privacy and 1 wall is mosquito net only, so you are "open" to the jungle there. Of course there is a roof to shelter you from rain. There was a simple double bed, which was already made with clean sheets for us. The guide made a bbq and cooked us a simple, but very good and tasteful dinner. After dinner we made a night walk through the jungle. It was great! We saw lots of tarantula spiders, a small snake, lots of interesting insects and reptiles. We had a good night sleep in our cabin, listening to the sounds of the jungle at night. There is a normal flush toilet at the camp (flushes with river water) and a mirror and basin to brush your teeth or shave. There even is a simple shower but we did not use that. The sounds of nature at dawn were amazing! We watched nature awake from the platform, while the guide made of coffee and tea and breakfast. Then we walked back to Hacienda Baru, seeing lots of animals along the way (monkeys, a sloth with baby, etc). It was strange to be back in civilization after these wonderful hours in the forest! Great tour, strongly recommended!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The lodge is located at the entrance to Hacienda Baru National Wildlife Refuge which protects 330 hectares (815 acres) of tropical forest, wetlands, mangrove and 3 kilometers of pristine Baru Beach. The refuge offers seven kilometers of well marked nature trails and a bird watching tower for a modest entrance fee. Guided tours with sharp-eyed local guides include two different types of canopy tours, five hiking tours, a camping tour and three bird watching tours. Hacienda Baru National Wildlife Refuge & Lodge is situated on Costa Rica's Southern Pacific Coast. This is a region of distinct natural beauty where forest covered mountains rise up from the dramatic Pacific coastline. The village of Dominical is just 3 km from Hacienda Baru located. Hacienda Baru Ecolodge's bungalow style cabins are large and roomy. Each one has two bedrooms, one with a double bed and the other with one double and one twin bed. Each bungalow has a bathroom with hot water shower, living room, porch, and kitchenette. For your convenience, they come equipped with fridge, coffee maker, hot plate and fans in all the rooms. They are ideal for families. In addition to the cabins, Hacienda Baru Ecolodge is now offering six new Pool View Guest Rooms. Each of these superior units has a large bathroom, a porch and ample space for beds and other furniture. Each will normally have a king size bed and a twin bed , but they can be equipped with up to four twin beds. Each has a frige and coffee maker as well. The attractive tile roofing is made from recycled plastic bags. A well ventilated design, insulation between the roofing and the polished teak ceiling, and overhead fans all insure cool comfort for our guests. All of the teak and gmelina wood used in the construction came from Hacienda Baru's own plantations. The wood for the pine beams and cypress furniture all came from plantations as well. Not a single piece of the wood used came from a natural forest. Solar heaters provide plenty of hot water for the bathrooms. The outside walls are slate and polished teak. The new guest rooms are conveniently located right in front of our new swimming pool. Our breezy open air restaurant allows you to observe the gardens and natural surroundings as you dine. We have five private ranchos for guests that want an intimate setting perhaps for a romantic candlelight dinner or a special family meal. Our menu is primarily very tasty typical Costa Rican food, but we do offer a variety of dishes for those who either don't like or want a break from rice and beans. We offer a selection Costa Rican fruit drinks known as FRESCOS meaning refreshing, soft drinks, a selection of Costa Rican beer, you must have heard of Imperial, wines and other licors. The swimming pool at Hacienda Baru Lodge is disinfected with ozone produced by an ozone generator which injects a constant flow of this eco-friendly gas into the water. This system of disinfection allows us to maintain a very low concentration of chlorine in the pool. The chlorine level is so slight that it is imperceptible to pool users. The swimming pool is open from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Guests from both the cabins and guest rooms are welcome to use the pool during these hours. Bird Watching, Canopy Exploration and Ecological Tours are our specialty. Our bilingual grass roots naturalist guides will help you discover the wonders of the tropical rainforest, such as leaf cutter ants, the sleepy sloths and the nesting site of the Common Pootoo. On our tours you can experience everything from the Rainforest Canopy to Mangrove Swamps or the Jungle at Night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Hacienda Baru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Baru Hotel Quepos
- Hacienda Baru Costa Rica/Dominical