“Great place for lunch on the beach”
Review of Tortilla Flats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dominical
Tortilla Flats
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Montreal, Canada
“Great place for lunch on the beach”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I've never stayed at Tortilla Flats, but when we are in Dominical it is our favourite place to eat and grab a beer.

I hadn't been since 2010, and they have since expanded it and put up TV screens that usually play surfers all over the world carving the waves. Love the atmosphere (if you don't mind stray dogs wandering through and sand on the floor)

Pretty much anything you eat here is good, and most meals are between 3000 - 4000 colones ($6 - $8)

It's a fun vibe, you can leave your surfboard in view and is steps from the beach. Our kids love the grilled cheese sandwich, the arroz con pollo was awesome, and we have tried almost all the sandwiches and loved them. The big nachos with chicken will easily feed 2 people!

Pura vida!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I loved the location right by the beach! You can here the waves from your room. We stayed in room 17 (one double bed and one single bed), and payed only 15 USD for the room per night. We really enjoyed it!

The room was cute, a bit like a wooden beach cabin. The shower was great too, with hot water. There was a porch with a bench we could sit on. Towels are not provided, so bring your own!

We had dinner here once (hot veggie sandwich) which was good, but a bit more expensive than other place in town. We usually had dinner at the restaurant of Arena y Sol, and breakfast at the soda just opposite Arena y Sol.

I would recommend Tortilla Flats for its location at the beach, and just the laidback vibr

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Marlies84
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Tortilla flats is in front of the beach and has a nice restaurant/bar right next to it and so location is almost spot on. The rooms are very basic with no thought gone into design, the cleanliness was good though the rooms could definitely with a fresh coat of paint.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
San Diego
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My boyfriend and I are in our twenties and just went to CR for the first time last week. Our first stop was at Tortilla flats. I will give you an honest rundown of the place. Keep in mind this is coming from the viewpoint of a 25 year old woman. My surfer boyfriend couldn't have liked the place more. I'm not sure I would really want to stay in Dominical again considering CR has so many places to explore, but if I had to, I would choose to stay at Tortilla Flats over any other rest place in the area.

-Best location in Dominical (which is basically a muddy, stinky, naturally beautiful place)
- All the other hotels/hostels in the area look like crap.
- Has the best food/bar scene in Dominical. The food is actually really good, with the exception of a dish or two.
-The TF bar is the only "night life" in Dominical
- The staff is friendly, with the exception of one waiter who didn't appreciate my poor spanish
-The inside of our room was really quaint. I'm glad we brought a sheet to fit on the bed from home. I did however, have the best nights sleep of the entire trip on my Tortiall Flats bed.
-The bathrooms are kind of gross but just deal with it. That's what you should expect if you are at this type of place. It's part of the charm. Actually, the same thing can be said for Dominical in general.
-I suggest wearing flip flops in the shower. If staying at Tortilla Flats, consider yourself sort of camping at the beach instead of having a hotel.
-There's a sign in the bathroom telling you not to but toilet paper down the drain because the pipes suck. Of course, I did anyway.

Room Tip: Room 17 was a great choice!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KateySD
Reviewed 25 May 2011

All the dishes we ate at this place were amazing! We even took a detour from our trip to eat there again. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a nice casual place with EXCELLENT fresh seafood.

• Stayed May 2011
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Review
I've been to Costa Rica a few times before. I've always stayed in budget to mid range type hotels. I'm not really a 5 star type of traveler. Maybe, once I hit my 30's, my tastes and standards have changed, maybe not. Who knows? All I know, is that the one night I stayed at Tortilla Flats was gross, disgusting and terrible.

We booked two rooms for our group of 2 couples. We arrived around 2 pm in the afternoon. We were ok with the appearance of the hotel and pleasantly pleased with the bar/restaurant next door. You can't beat the location of the hotel, it's right on the beach. That is where the pluses end. Our room (Room 21) had mold all over the shower floor. It was so gross you had to wear your flip flops in the bathroom. The toilet wobbled and felt like it was going to topple over. The sink was dirty and had a giant hair ball in it.

It rained in the afternoon and the entire bathroom flooded. The roof had several pin holes in it and the water just POURED all over the floor, into the trash, it ruined the toilet paper. The hotel does not provide towels so we had no way to mop up the mess on the moldy floor without ruining our towels. The bar tender said he was too busy to help us and didn't have a mop.

I was a little sketched out by the bedding. I ended up sleeping in my sleep sack (It was left in my back pack from a recent camping trip). I found a giant cockroach looking bug in the bathroom in the morning. When I attemped to shower, there were loose electical wires hanging from the shower head. I wondered if I would make it out of there alive...

The next morning, we told the girl at the reception we were cancelling our reservation for the rest of the week. She, fortunalty, did not give us any problems. We went to Domicolos and stayed there for the rest of our trip.

Domicolos provides breakfast with its room rate. For 2 people the prices ends up being about the same, once you factor in food. And, Domicolos is HEAVEN compared to Tortilla Flats.

Room Tip: Run!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank tgogohoz

Travellers are raving about these Dominical hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I have been in CR for three months and this by far is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. I slept in my clothes and didn't touch a thing. It was filthy, the sheets, the bathroom and there is mold all over the walls. It was truly disgusting. I have stayed other places that were inexpensive and they were decent places. I refused to go barefoot. 16 hours after getting into Domincal, we left. Better places to go. If you are young, a surfer and get drunk every night, this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple