“Wish we were still there ...”
Review of Costa Paraiso

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dominical
Costa Paraiso
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Florida
“Wish we were still there ...”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Just got back from Costa Paraiso in Dominical and missing it already. Wanted to leave a positive review to help other travelers and also show our appreciation to our hosts for making our stay so enjoyable. Sandra particularly went out of her way to help us with booking trips and also liaising with our surfing school. The chef, Bryce makes some of the best food we've had anywhere.
Agree with other reviews about beautiful setting and immaculately maintained gardens.
Our room (the dolphin lodge) was spacious for 2 of us and equipped with excellent AC. No phone or TV, but then we came here to escape those. Well equipped kitchen with full-size fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker and toaster. Also nice to have a safe for our valuables, as well as a friendly night-time security guard keeping an eye on the place.
The rooms are fairly close to the highway so you will hear some road noise from occasional large trucks but they tend to blend in with the crashing of the breakers. Also given the tropical setting insects, frogs, etc. are pretty loud. We were so exhausted from surfing and day-trips that we slept like logs anyway.
Note location is a couple of KM from Dominical so it's better to have a car. Also getting 4WD will save you worrying if you'll make the steep driveway. Would recommend this also generally as some 'roads' can be pretty hairy. Also Sat-Nav saved us from hours of frustration especially in San-Jose area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LA-Z-Diver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My brother and I recently spent a week in this picturesque hotel and we definitely could have stayed even longer. The hotel is located on a private setting surrounded by a lush tropical oasis of exotic flowers, plants, and wild life. Its walking distance to the beach and just a very short distance from town. The grounds are very well maintained and provide a very refreshing and relaxing environment. The oceanside pool and numerous hammocks spread throughout the property were definitely a plus. Providing that the property sits right on the ocean it displays quite the "wave show" on the volcanic rocks that can be seen daily right from your dinning table. If you're lucky you may even see dolphins! Speaking of dinning the food was fantastic. We tried everything on the breakfast menu (some things more than once) and every dinner we had was delicious. We actually felt like we had a private chef. Everything was prepared fresh and I agree that the fish tacos are a "must have".... probably the best my brother or I have ever eaten. The staff here was extremely helpful (thank you Sandra and Bryce) and was more than accommodating. The rooms were very clean, had great AC, and comfy beds. We stayed in the Monkey Room and had a view of the ocean and fell asleep to the sound of it every night. My brother and I had some of the best sleep we've had in months. Overall I think this hotel is a fabulous place to spend any vacation. If I ever return to the Dominical I would without a doubt stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ATLw0rldtraveler
Ojochal, Costa Rica
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I was excited to stay here because it is directly on the beach. Surprisingly there are not that many hotels in Costa Rica that are. That part was great. There are rocks just off the beach and the pounding waves are amazing. Something you will hear constantly during your stay. Loved it. At night they shine a large light on the rocks, which is a nice touch. Fun watching the bats eat bugs that gathered by it. It is a small property but the grounds are impeccable. The rooms are comfortable and clean. They could use a decorator’s touch, but the bed was very comfy. I read about road noise, but it totally wasn’t a factor for us. Occasionally during the day you would hear it, but nothing annoying. Breakfast in the restaurant was very good. Nice selection on the menu. Lunch has to be scheduled. Dinner involves a couple of choices that change each night. Be aware their restaurant is only open for dinner Wednesday through Sunday and they only have a certain amount of the two choices. Let them know early in the day if you plan on eating there and what you plan on eating. Just so you are not disappointed. I read a review about the restaurant being an issue because they didn’t have a car. This is not a place I would stay without a car. The pool is small but adequate. The people who worked at the hotel were very nice and accommodating. For the price point, this place is spot-on. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scott D
CT
Reviewed 24 May 2011

If you visit Dominical, stay here!! Seriously. I'm a picky traveler and this is a great spot. if they included breakfast in their price I think it would be a great value as well. But the grounds are wonderful, the crashing waves are a pleasure to watch, and the location with nearby waterfalls to explore can't be beat.

Only cons: Internet was hit and miss. Very soft beds. Shower water not very hot.

On a side note: Dominical was our favorite town in all the places we visited in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Toucan Room is most private room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2011

We will return to Costa Paraiso, with its fantastic location complete with crashing waves, green and grey iguanas rooming the grounds, and friendly, easygoing staff.

The hotel is small and intimate with just a handful of rooms (4-5) with basic kitchens, air-conditioning, some with new decor (in some rooms) and a nice beachside pool. All the things a young family can really enjoy! Many upgrades have recently been made (by new owners) and the grounds are in wonderful shape with a gardener working 24-7 to keep things beautiful.

The restaurant kitchen was basic, but the cook produced fantastic pizza (it was a fun pizza night, which we were grateful not to have to leave since rainy season started to hit while we were there) and the banana pancakes were lovely. We will stay here again if we come to town.

We stayed in the Dolphin Suite, and our only major reservation with the Dolphin Suites is that it appears to be one of the "older" apartments on the property (the 2 other newer apartments been recently redone and look fantastic!) and we noticed the peaked roof of our condo was covered with a light layer of powdery green mold or mildew.

To be fair, we didn't mention this to the staff because we didn't notice it until our final night (we booked 4 nights) but its something they should try to address immediately. I was having breathing issues (recently found out I have asthma) and I couldn't figure out why I was coughing uncontrollably during my stay. I figured it out the last night as I lay in bed and looked up to notice the light highlighting a powdery mildew/mold covering about 20% of our ceiling. Uggh.

Still, don't take away from this that the place wasn't clean. Maid service came every day and great care was taken to make up the rooms and keep the ground immaculate. Costa Rica is a fairly humid locale and it was hot season --still, the mold issue needs to be addressed asap. It is a health concern.

The setting is incredible (right on the ocean) but the coastal freeway is right behind the hotel. You won't hear much traffic on this coastal freeway, but when a truck does go by, it is quite loud. Still, the setting and light traffic flow offsets periodic traffic noise, in my opinion.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We just got back to Toronto and had a great time in Costa Rica with my family. I especially loved Costa Paraiso. The location was fantastic. The grounds and facilities were just right. The view is priceless.

Sandra and Travis were very accommodating, helpful and warm.

The food was also outstanding. I had fish tacos at least 5 times in 10 days and theirs were hands down the best.

Room Tip: Call
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Absolutely beautiful bit of paradise. If you can't relax here then you're doomed to a life of stress. Totally offers the "pure life" experience of Costa Rica - city fumes and smells will seem like an insult when you return home. Amazing food - personal touches in presentation, the ocean thundering in the background...unforgettable!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family