“a Paradise”
Review of Costa Paraiso

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dominical
Costa Paraiso
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Stayed 4 nights in Dolphin Lodge, enjoyed our stay. Nice room, nice staff. Perfect location.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mersu56

Reviewed 23 December 2009

Me and friend stayed for a week at the Costa Paraiso and had fantastic time. The location is great! It's in a quiet and secluded spot but its no than 5,10 minutes away from Dominical where you can eat or have a drink. From the hotel you have a spectacular view of the garden, pool and beach. I spent most of my time relaxing on the porch of our cottage, relaxing in a hammock by the pool and relaxing on the beach. This is a place, you probably can tell, that you can relax at. There's free wireless but it barely makes to the cottages. I could access it if i was right by the window or out on the porch, however you can just go down to the deck of the main cottage and surf from there and enjoy the view. You'll need a car if you stay there. Everything is pretty close but its not walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Calgary_Charlie
Reviewed 20 December 2009

We stayed here on our way back to San Jose from the Osa. We just wanted a place to stay for the night, but had such a great experience we ended up staying for 3 days. The manager/owner told me that they had just finished extensive renovations. We stayed in the Monkey room and everything in it was new which was nice. They also had a new rooftop patio that we spent a couple evenings hanging out on. They have a big light that spotlights the rocks and waves in front of the place at night that is a nice touch.

The location and view are great and you can walk to the nearby beach in a couple minutes. The manager is very personable and helpful and took us to a nearby waterfall one day that you can slide down that was very cool. They have no restaurant, but all of the suggestions they gave us for places to eat were very good and they said they were going to be offering a paid breakfast as well quite soon. The manager also invited us to a BBQ with his friends while we were there that was a lot of fun.

The pool is kind of small, and there is some noise from passing trucks at times, but neither are really a serious problem. They are a few minutes away from the town of Dominical, so having a vehicle is a big help if you plan to stay here. This place is not the Four Seasons, but all in all we had a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2009

Flew in to Quepos with some friends and spent 7 days in and around Costa Paraiso and Dominical. This place is a hidden gem. The ocean is 50 feet in front of you and about 2 kms of beach about 600 feet to the left (no surfing though that is about 5 mins drive south if you are a noob or 2 minutes north if you are "good"). Highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We spent four days at Costa Paraiso and just loved the tranquil simplicity of this 5 unit paradise that is contrasted by a rugged, explosive coastline. Situated just steps away from the crashing waves, a short three minute walk took us to the beautiful Dominicalitos beach. Jennifer, the resident “do it all”, was very pleasant and helpful with any request we had. She made us feel like we were old friends.

We stayed in the Dolphin Lodge which offered a kitchenette. The room was clean and comfortable, even for the four of us. I strongly suggest having a rental car if you stay at Costa Paraiso since there isn’t much around within an easy walking distance. Costa Paraiso is the perfect place to relax without any distractions, including a phone or TV. We will definitely be back one day.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2009

After much research, I chose this location (over Coconut Grove; just 2 mins further south on same beach) because I specfically wanted to be near the water and have an uninterrupted view of the ocean from my room. In that respect, our room (called Toucan Nest) delivered the goods.

However, I was somewhat dissatisfied with my experience at this hotel - due mainly to my preconceived notions of what it would be like. So, depending on what you are looking for, this could either be a real great find... or a little more inconvenient than you bargained for. Let me explain...

We did not have our own transportation and were staying in the Dominical area for only 3 nights. We were busy during the day exploring the region, so we didn't return to the hotel until evening (note: sunsets are early here - it's dark by 6:00pm). In hindsight, I really wish we had an extra day just to hang out at the hotel, laze the day away in one of the hammocks, watch the surf go in/out and catch a spectacular sunset (for which this hotel is perfectly situated).

I mention all this because if you plan to be in Dominical for only a few days - and especially if you don't have your own transportation - I'd say you are much better off considering the convenience of staying in town.

I thought this hotel would be a little closer to Dominical than it actually is and that you could get there by walking along the beach (you can't). The first part (just north of the hotel) is unaccessable (has rocks/cliffs), so you have to walk along the main road. After about 15 mins - past Villa Roca Verde - we cut through a villa complex still under development, climbed through a fence & crossed a small stream to access the end of the spectacular beach that continues uninterrupted all the way to Dominical townsite. (Perhaps there was an easier access point to the beach a little further down the road...? I wouldn't know). All this to say, it ended up being a 45min sweaty adventure just to get to town (note: it's REALLY humid in Costa Rica - be prepared to sweat!).

Another important point to keep in mind when considering this hotel is that there is NOTHING to do at the hotel once the day is over. Yes, there are a few lovely covered porch/patio areas to sit & read, but that's about it. There is no TV in the room. There is also no bar/shop/restaurant (either on-site or nearby) to get something to snack/drink/have dinner. So, if you haven't stocked up your fridge with any goodies, it may suddenly feel a little "too remote" for your liking. Of course, you could arrange for a taxi to pick you up to go back to Dominical - but all of this requires a little effort.

So - depending on your circumstances - you may perceive this hotel very differently.

I would recommend this hotel only if you were I] specifically looking for something remote/away from the tourist scene; II] using this as a base to explore the area and had extra time to just chill out at the hotel and enjoy the incredible beach surroundings (our trip did not allow for that) & III] prepared to buy some food/drink in advance so that your kitchenette was stocked for those quiet evenings or breakfast in the morning (note: breakfast is not include nor offered at hotel). Having your own transportation - while not essential - certainly would help as there really is nothing nearby within easy walking distance.

Even though we were here in the off-season (and received a discounted rate for the room), I do also have to question the cost of this hotel -- it really is pricey for what you get (or don't get). You can *easily* find accommodation in the town of Dominical for considerably less. True - you won't be right on the beach and enjoy a killer view from your front porch, but in hindsight, I would have traded that for the convenience of being closer to the town for eating/bar options once it got dark. Again - if you have your own wheels, this becomes a non-issue.

As for Dominical, I expected it to be more developed than it was. It really has an under-developed, surfer dude Tico beachtown vibe (which I wanted to experience). However, if you are not staying directly in the town long enough to enjoy this, it will probably feel too slow/boring if you're just passing through. Plus I thought the beach would be a little cleaner/more "user-friendly" (great for surfing, but no establishments directly on the beach to buy a drink/watch a sunset, etc.).

In contrast, Manuel Antonio - while definitely much more developed than Dominical - was still nowhere near as developed as I had expected/dreaded. And so my experience there was much, much better (in fact, the vibe I got from M.A. was what I originally expected to get from Dominical). And much to my surprise, for the SAME price as Dominical, our hotel there (Villa Roca) had a too-die-for infinity pool overlooking the ocean with a choice of restaurants within 5 mins walking distance and easy transportation options (bus/taxi) to either Quepos town or the beachfront by Manuel Antonio Park. For me, that worked my travel buzz much better... so again, it all depends on what type of experience you're looking for.

To recap: if you are looking for a beautiful, but remote/under-developed area from which to explore this Pacific region of Costa Rica, this is an excellent choice. If you want to be within easy walking distance of restaurants & Dominical town life, this will probably be a little too far out and you'd be better off finding something closer to town (or consider staying in Manual Antonio).

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BuzzTraveller1967
Reviewed 18 September 2009

The location is priceless which makes the rate at Costa Paraiso a bargain. Dominical is remote enough to keep the big crowds away, but large enough to have plenty of restaurants, a few of which are truly excellent. But 'progress' is coming. Even the last 40 kilometers of dirt road and one lane bridges are disappearing. The staff at Costa Paraiso treat you like visiting family. They take care of you and make you feel at home at the same time. During the six days we were there the family next door to us brought back a load of fish they had caught that day and the CP staff cooked them up and invited all the guests to the party.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple