“By far the best value in Costa Rica”
Review of Costa Paraiso

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dominical
Costa Paraiso
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Reviewed 17 November 2010

We loved Costa Paraiso! It's small, private and friendly with the most incredible view of the ocean. It was like visiting a friend in paradise. We stayed in the Dolphin Casita and had plenty of room for our family of 5. We loved that there are no tv's, our time was spent swimming in the pool, reading and enjoying leisurely gourmet dinners made by Bryce. Sandra was incredible, getting us everything we needed and helping to organize a trip to Cano Island and surf lessons. All of us rate this as one of the best places we stayed on our trip and for the amount it cost us, we are certain it is the best value in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Costa Paraiso

Reviewed 13 October 2010

I've stayed at quite a few cabinas/hotels throughout Costa Rica over the years and Costa Paraiso stands out as my definite favorite. In fact, this is my first review on tripadvisor and I just had to create an account to share my wonderful experiences at this place.

When my wife and I arrived, we were greeted by Bryce and taken up to the Toucan Nest where we stayed for four nights. It had a great big patio overlooking the garden and the ocean. The room and view reminded us of the private bures in Fiji. You can even see the garden and the ocean from your very own bed! And yes, the bed was very comfortable.

Every night we enjoyed personal homemade dinners. I loved the three-course dinners with desserts. A couple nights they served fresh fish. I don’t even like fish , but this fish was too fresh and tasty to pass up. I totally over-ate on pizza night. Bryce and Sandra served us a whole pizza and when we were about half way through the first pizza they told us that three more pizzas (with different toppings) were on the way. I couldn’t resist trying some of each.

I didn’t jump in the pool but it looked very well maintained. I did, however, jump into one of the hammocks near the pool (a must). I love this location for surfing too. A short walk to the north puts you at playa dominical which is one of the most consistent breaks in CR. It’s one of those waves that’s always bigger and heavier than anywhere else. If it gets too big or walled at playa dominical, you take a short walk south and surf at dominicalito where it’s always smaller. One day, Bryce took me out surfing at dominicalito and we had some good waves with no crowd. I’ll never forget the reef out front though. We were so entertained each time a big wave came in and spilled over the reef like a waterfall.

The entire staff was great. My wife even said, “they make me feel like a celebrity.” The entire experience felt very personal and welcoming which is what I look for when I travel to Costa Rica.

BOTTOM LINE: There are no TV’s, no bars, and no nightly entertainment. If you are looking for those things this place is not for you. If you are looking for privacy, excellent food, and friendly people, I think Costa Paraiso will exceed your expectations.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank willandbrittany
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We arrived at Costa Paraiso tired after having driven from Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean coast (a 7 hour drive). We teetered down the extremely steep entrance driveway (I'd estimate it was a 30 degree slope) and pulled into the carpark, which overlooks a swimming pool area and beautiful gardens. Beyond this was the Pacific ocean, roaring and crashing against the rocks maybe 30 yards from where we had parked. The location was truly stunning (see pictures).

My only complaint at this point was that we could really have done with a beer, and unfortunately they don't serve alcohol on the premises so we had to go to nearby Dominical and buy some beers from a supermarket. At this point (around 5pm) the heavens opened, as they do every day about this time on the Pacific coast, and we found ourselves driving through a tropical downpour. We had dinner in the hotel's open-air restaurant that evening, which has a lovely personal feel to it. The tables are candle-lit and again only yards from the ocean, which you can no longer really see as it's dark by this point, but you can hear the waves hitting the rocks and smell the salty air. The food was fantastic - fish and pulled pork tacos, with great flavours and exquisite presentation. Breakfast the following day was a la carte, and again delicious and beautifully presented (see pictures - pancakes with banana and syrup, and special omelette).

We stayed in the Toucan's Nest apartment. The accommodation was OK. The room had A/C and the bed was comfortable, plus there was a nice porch area with a couple of rocking chairs and a table where you could sit and relax by watching/listening to the ocean. I wasn't overly impressed with the bathroom - it was quite cramped, and the pipes below the sink would start to emit a "drain" smell whenever you ran the water. I mentioned this to the owner and he said that the plumbing was a bit "old school". From what I've read, the other rooms/apartments are better than this one though.

Overall I would recommend this place only if privacy and seclusion, good food, and being close to the ocean are appealing to you. Although it's only 2km from Dominical, it's a bit of a hairy walk along the main road with enormous trucks thundering past, plus with the tropical downpour that seems to happen like clockwork each day, you're likely to get wet if you attempt it. You do feel a bit cut off when you're staying here, so don't book it if you're expecting to be able to walk to nearby bars and restaurants every night. In our view, the best things about it were definitely its beautiful location and great food.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I stayed 4 nights at Costa Paraiso in the Tucan casita. The view from my room was amazing. The property is secluded but not terribly far from the main city of Dominical. I arrived late in the evening and it was raining pretty hard. Sandra, greeted me at the taxi and helped carry my bags to the room. Then Bryce (the manager) proceeded to cook me an amazing 3 course meal.

My only wish was that Costa Paraiso provided a few more amenities. My room didn't have a phone or tv. It would have also been nice to free breakfast and laundry service. My computer crashed so Sandra was nice enough to let me use the office computer. Maybe they could get a public computer that the guests could use to check flight status/bus schedules or check email.

Overall, excellent stay!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at this property. I only have a couple complaints about the room we stayed in. The one we stayed at had a connecting door between the two rooms and it is very loud. We had another couple show up at 11 PM at night and we could hear every word they said. Other than that the property, location, price, and room were very nice. Thus the reason for only a three on the room and sleep quality.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snesbitt0007
Reviewed 21 May 2010

We loved our stay at Costa Paraiso, it is so beautiful and tranquil here. Great property with an amazing location. We felt like it was our own private oasis!! Rooms were spacious and clean(we stayed in the Monkey Room) The breakfast was delicious, one morning we watched dolphins play in the water while eating breakfast on the terrace. Very relaxing and enjoyable. We will be back again!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ciclistacanadiense
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Honestly, the most beautiful, romantic, breath taking affordable spot to stay at. All the reviews we read were so true. All the renovations are done and done very, very well. Rooms are updated, clean and cool. The beds/mattresses are great. The landscaping is wonderful. Hammocks are relaxing. You have to run/walk on the beach in the morning. The beach is shaded and the sand is great for running or walking. I am writing my review from the birds nest up above office, looking at the waves crashing on the volcanic rocks. I don't want to go home. The Toucan's Nest is the best but we also stayed in the Dolfins Lodge which is very nice with a small kitchen. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple