“Exceptional Staff-Incredible Location”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
New Hampshire
“Exceptional Staff-Incredible Location”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

If you want the real Costa Rica & the sweetest staff, look no further!
The people that wrote the garbage about this place should not be traveling
This is real and CLEAN and Michael, the owner, couldn't be more sincere or kind and helpful
The guys around the place are the hardest working- family I would call them since they just get along so great and are quick to help anyone
Friendly beyond belief
You should absolutely try Esteban, the chef,- his fish dishes are to die for!!

Surfers- why your boards are not piled up here...
I am not a surfer, but these are the biggest waves I have seen since Malibu or Venice
I sat at the bar & watched a Bruce Springsteen concert and had some beers as the ocean pounced about. & it just doesn' t get any better than that!!!!
Oh yeah-you have to like dogs as they are about, but they will not take food in the restaurant, just lots of pats
Go see Katherine in town at the Tourist Co and she will take care of just about everything
I could walk into town every day, but always needed a cab back and it was worth the $5
This is not a Chocolate on the pillow hotel- it doesn't pretend to be- but it does promise the best view in Dominical!
Even if you do not stay here- drop by for a drink or a meal ( really- just absolutely awesome!)
E mail if you have any questions

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Imaginekrf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The atmosphere in this hotel is pretty neat, we believe it is undergoing upgrades. The rooms were clean, no TV, we had no wifi in our room. And for what we got it was overpriced. The dining room was very dark, could not really see the food well, but the dinner was tasty. Breakfast was good, but it was no buffet, and you could only choose orange juice or coffee, or had to pay more. I don't believe we would return to this place again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kentucky
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I came with a group of girls and we had a wonderful time! The owner gave us a great deal as it was low season, and we got the VIP treatment since we were the only people in the hotel. The restaurant has really tasty food (although a bit pricy, but equivalent to the costs of other nearby restaurants), and the beach behind the property is AMAZING. It is like a private cove, seriously fantastic. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and the a/c was a godsend. It was about a 15-20 minute walk into the town for groceries and restaurants, but we saw lots of neat nature along the way. If you don't like dogs though you wouldn't like this hotel, as a pack of about 5 dogs run freely around the grounds,in the kitchen, and on the beach.

CONS: The pool has so much potential, but they didn't paint the bottom and so at first it looks to be brown and very dirty instead of being the typical blue color pool. There was also some awkwardness and confusion when we first checked in and also when we left, and also about breakfast, and the owner didn't seem to be too interested in customer service or interacting with our group. Also if we didn't speak Spanish this weekend may have been a struggle.

I would have given this experience a 5 if the attention to the customer had been better. While the staff accommodated us in every way (especially Antonio!), some things were a bit of a struggle or were made confusing when they shouldn't have been. They also should "get with the times" and have an online booking option, as well as accept credit cards.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My friend and I stayed here while attending a wedding and by the end of it all I wanted to beg the owner Mike for a job and never leave! The rooms are very nice and well appointed with all that you need, there is a pool to lounge at however the beach is only steps away and is absolutely beautiful with a cool fresh water stream feeding into the ocean and the rain forest comes right up to the beach, it's postcard perfect. The hotel is not in the center of the action in Dominical but it's a 3 minute drive to the heart of town or a 10-15 minute walk. Some reviewers complain about the noise of the highway and honestly I think they are just complainers, yes you can hear the highway noise but its only during the day hours and it's not constant besides if your in Dominical, why are you in your room? go out and enjoy and go to your room to shower and sleep and guess what, the highway noise won't bother you because at night there's next to none. The "reception" area also serves as the restaurant and bar, it's a large open air pavilion that never gets closed up or locked up so the breeze blows through day and night and can be a nice place to sit and quietly read a book or take in the view of the ocean or get a meal/drink. Behind the bar, acting not only as bartenders but also your server and/or concierge when you need good solid honest advice on where to go and what to do are Antonio and Juan, both made us feel like family and certainly treated us that way, these two will look after you no matter what you need and will forever be remembered by us, between these guys and the owner Mike we were made to feel so at home that I actually got watery eyed when we had to say goodbye, it felt like I was saying goodbye to my Uncles or Brothers.
Also don't be alarmed by the barking of a few dog's upon your arrival, these sweet guys are the hotels fearless guard dogs and they are very friendly, always willing to donate their backs/heads for scratching and petting, don't be surprised if they join you on walks as they love to keep guests company and will even try to jump in the car and join you for a drive if you'll let them.
Food here is good and fairly priced however pretty basic, if you want more creative dishes there are a few restaurants in town with creative menus but as far as culinary goes, Dominical is not the next top chef destination, it's local food, fresh, simple and in my opinion very tasty.
As I said before I absolutely love Roca Verde and will most certainly stay here again when I return, the only criticism that I have is the lack of hammocks, most places in town have them and it is a favorite pass time for me to lay in one by the beach while napping or reading a book, alas they have none so I hope they change that before my next visit as it was the only thing during my stay that I constantly longed for.

Room Tip: Between the Beach, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing, Repelling, Horseback Riding, Zip Lining, Tree Climbing...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We really enjoyed our time at Roca Verde. The pool is so nice to have in the heat of the day. The rooms are good sized and very clean. Michael, the owner, was so nice and helpful.

We were there mostly to surf so I think it would have been better for us to stay closer to town. The walk back and forth on the beach is fine and safe, but you have to be aware of the tides and if you forget something its a long roundtrip. Bring a headlamp to walk the beach at night.

The noise from the highway is also pretty bad. Brake mufflers are not required in Costa Rica and its too bad that you can't easily hear the beautiful birds or ocean, but I think highway noise is something you'd hear anywhere in Dominical unfortunately.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Our family was lucky enough to spend a month in Costa Rica this past January. During that time we stayed at a long list of places around the country. Some were budget minded and some were what i would call over the top. Out of all these places my family would have to choose Roca Verde as our favorite. The accommodations were clean, the atmosphere was quiet and relaxed, the ocean is literally a stones throw away, great food, good surf right out front.....obviously it was great. BUT.....what really set this place apart from all the others was the genuine hospitality. You see, there is a difference between good service, attentive servers, yadda yadda and what we experienced at Roca Verde. The staff was great, but the owner, Mike was what made the difference. My kids still talk about him and want to go visit Mike. He was just a genuinely nice guy. He let my kids play in the kitchen, he served us free food from a dish he had made for all the staff, he gave us a ride to our next place down the road, etc. etc. etc. He made us feel at home, and welcome. That is what makes a great place to stay and that is why Roca Verde is where we will stay the next time we are in Dominical.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Roca Verde property is great, and the location is amazing - you get a beautiful almost private beach with it. Domincal is about 1km (careful, on google maps it shows as being in the village), it's better to have a car, without one you can either walk on the beach which is nice during the day (only possible during low tide though) but not sure how safe during the night or walk along the highway which is also a bit scary.

The staff is nice once you get know them a bit, we stayed there 4 nights and they warmed up a bit after 2-3 days. Service is really slow though, it takes 20 minutes in the morning to get a juice and then another 20 minutes to get a toast with jam, so if you have early plans for the day, it's better to skip breakfast. Upon arrival, there was no information provided at all (breakfast/restaurant hours, whether it's safe to swim, how to get to the village etc), for everything you have to ask and it feels a bit as if you are bothering, though I am sure that's not intentional.

It would have been easy to point out in correspondence over email before our arrival that credit card payment is not possible (the only place in Costa Rica in a price range over 100US/night that we saw that doesn't accept credit cards), though the owner was flexible and gave us all the time needed to get to a bank.

The place has really great potential, with a bit more efforts from the staff and owner it could be a true gem.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple