“Wow--So Great!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Shelter from the Storm
Reviewed 12 March 2008

Not a hotel but more like a villa or casita. We felt like it should be on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous (but it was affordable-shhh).
We stayed in the Monkey house. It was up a spiral staircase. The back deck was amongst the trees. We sat in the leather rocking chairs and watched the monkeys, iguana, toucan and butterflies. From the kitchen and living windows we could view the ocean. The four separate lodgings share a common swimming pool and the "rancho" which is a large open area (but covered) that has a TV, bar, tables etc.
Everything seems new. Very clean and Costa Rican contemporary. I felt pampered and well care for by Donna and Daryl. We stayed for about 10 days, taking day trips to go snorkling, hiking, exploring but some days stayed home and read and enjoyed just being in a great setting. No need to take a zip line, we were living in the flora and fauna amoungst the wild life! -- PS-Take a 4 wheel drive it's a steep road but by the second day, it's old news and no big deal. Enjoy the adventure.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JaneCalifornia

Reviewed 27 February 2008

I really didn't think a property could actually live up to such overwhelming praise, but it did. Everything about Shelter From the Storm was amazing, from the accommodations to the owners (the awesome Daryl & Donna) to the views to the wildlife to the honor bar . . .I could go on for days. My husband and I stayed in the Monkey House for 4 nights (NOT long enough) and will definitely be back. If you would like a full review of our stay and some pictures, please visit my blog entry at: http://urstinkymonkey.blogspot.com/2008/02/costa-rica-part-2-finally-p.html

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lori T
Reviewed 21 February 2008

My wife and I spent 5 nights at this great little place. The owners were fantastic and go the extra mile to address every need. The setting is beatiful, up the side of a hill with great ocean views. Their web site does not do it justice. Beaches are a 3-5 minn drive. A 4 wheel drive is a must. There are numerous beaches to explore. The surf town of Dominical is 5-10 minn drive. If ya like to surf look up Steve, lessons $10 or board rental for $10 a day, the owners of the hotel have contact info. We went to some great resturaunts, our favorivate was the Chef's table, well worth the drive thru the jungle. We spent a morning horseback riding to a waterfall, really a great trip. We spent another day diving Cano island. I surfed 3-4 sessions in Dominical. A great quiet place where one can do as littel or as much as one likes.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MarylandJackstraw
Reviewed 29 January 2008

I am a raving fan of STFS. The place is more beautiful than pictures can portray. Daryl and Donna are nicer than the reviews about them. Dominical is my new favorite beach area.
We stayed in the Monkey House. Great bed, view, amenities. Darryl is the best concierge you could ask for. Instead of telling me where to find they guy who was taking me fishing, he got up and drove me there at 6 am. They know all of the restaurants in the are too. You really feel like friends with Darryl and Donna and the others who are staying there, but without anyone getting in your business.
If you go to Dominical or Uvita, DO NOT go to a hotel. Go to STFS. They can set up anything you need. Fishing, Massage, Dinner. Make sure you have a car with you so you can see all of what the area offers
Make sure you go to Playa Vetannas for Sunset. It is Awesome. Make sure you get up for sunrise around 5:30. Walk to the point at STFS and enjoy. It is truly remarkable.
Make sure you eat at the Chef's Table and at Maracyunya in Uvita. Both are great.

2  Thank beavomexico
Reviewed 28 January 2008

We booked four nights at this villa based primarily on reviews here and looking at their website. Obviously, everyone is in love with the property and the hospitality of the owners, Daryl and Donna. As such, our expectations were really high.

This place somehow exceeded our expectations. This part of Costa Rica was our favorite - not crowded but plenty of natural beauty, adventure activities and beeches. The villas were very well appointed and offered great views of the beech. The swimming pool and common areas were a great refuge from the hot and steamy beeches. Plenty of great local places to eat.

We saw more wildlife from our balcony (monkeys, toucans, reptiles, etc) than on any paid tour that we took while in CR.

We really miss the place and hope to return.

Hopefully the Dominical/Uvita area and SFTS don't change too much.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 11 January 2008

We enjoyed staying in Villa La Cuesta at Shelter from the Storm. It's in a great location. Close to supermarkets,banks,a gas station and plenty of places to eat. Plenty of beaches to choose from. Really incredible views. Donna and Daryl are super hosts. Good people with great personalities. The pool was just the right temperature, plenty of pool towels to wrap up in while enjoying a cocktail at the honor bar. This couple got it right with this place. There isn't too much they haven't thought of. Our villa was directly across from the Rancho (pool/bar/lounge area). From our patio we had a partial view of the ocean. Every morning and every evening a family of monkeys would travel past our balcony through the trees!! It was really cool. I hope Donna and Daryl never trim those trees cuz monkeys and half an ocean view is way better than chopped trees,no monkeys and a full view. :) We would easily stay there again and hope to. We also enjoyed Daryl's VERY CLEAR, often amusing directions back to the airport. If your thinking about this place, just book it. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed 27 December 2007

My husband and I stayed in the Monkey House for two weeks in October and November. It is now December and I still feel the calm of Shelter from the Storm ---or as Daryl says Shelter from your Personal Storm. Usually it takes just days to get back from vacation, but my experience of peace and quiet remains.

The Monkey House is a wonderful experience ---to be up in the trees away from it all (cell phones, tv, radio,etc) and yet to be able to hang out at the Rancho with other people.

Daryl and Donna were wonderful hosts. Their guidance with day trips, restaurants etc etc made it easy to navigate a country which we had never visited. Donna and Daryl both have a strong appreciation of what it means to get away. The property is beautiful

Now, this is all is not to say that our vacation was dull and boring. Amongst our day trips, the highlight trip was to Corcovado via boat, although it was rainy and stormy and our hike in the Park somewhat shortened.

Both my husband and I rate this as our nearest to perfect vacation. WHat can I say if I still feel the peace two months later?

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple