“Why pay the high prices”

Hotel Cuna del Angel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rocky Point, NC
“Why pay the high prices”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We bookr
We booked this hotel after staying at Grano de Oro in San Jose and arrived thinking this was going to be a wonderful place to stay since they we're charging 172.00 a night for the rooms. We pulled into the parking lot and we're just a little surprised. The hotel sits on a small hill and there are some ocean views depending on where you are in the hotel ( our pricey room was ground floor with nothing to see but the pool area and trees). The ocean views are distant at best so the hotel can't be classified as ocean side to say the least.
The grounds are well kept and the hotel is clean but our room had a musty smell and needed a good airing out. The trip to the room is down a long dark hallway which puts a depressing air on the stay and there is constant road noise since the hotel sits above the main road.
We ate breakfast there since it was included in the price and it was fairly good with a restaurant which overlooks the trees and a distant view of the ocean. We declined on dinner and opted for a meal in Dominical after looking at the prices on the menu.

Room Tip: Wait until you get there to check the rooms out - I would imagine you might get a cheaper deal on si...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kenny P
, Manager at Hotel Cuna del Angel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
We are very sorry to hear you didn´t enjoyed your stay at aour hotel, what seems strange is to hear the rate you say you payed for your room is for the deluxe rooms, right in front of the pool, and for this rooms there is not a long dark hallway, they are very close from the pool, reception or restaurant. We feel sorry you didn´t liked our breakfast and considered our prices high, and you did not tried our food, our restaurant is consider one of the best of the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Windsor, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The grounds were splendid, but the rooms (and especially the hallways) were dark beyond imagination. We ended up leaving a day early, we just couldn't deal with it. Also worth noting... the margaritas (with a tolerable tequila) were $14 each, including tax. Pretty strange.

The internet connection was wobbly at best.

There are many other, better choices nearby!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John W
, Manager at Hotel Cuna del Angel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
We are sorry your expectations were not met during your stay.
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Loved everything about the trip and the hotel!! Dominical is a few minute drive from the hotel and has everything from restaraunts to shopping and bars. There is a bunch of stuff to do within driving distance like horseback rising, zip lining, butterfly gardens, kayaking, and just about anything! The views are gorgeous from the hotel and the staff is so friendly! The lady that cleaned our room even left fresh flowers on our beds one day!! :-) the restaraunt is a little pricey but its worth it!! I would definitely recommend this hotel to all adults! There's just not too much to do to keep the kids occupied :-)

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Stacynicole44
, Manager at Hotel Cuna del Angel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you very much for your comments, we feel very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and all the activities offered near by, you clearly knew how to enjoy Dominical and the hotel, we hope to see you next year as you say.
Billund, Denmark
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We enjoyed our room by the pool so much - the rooms are huge with everything you need and a lovely balcony/terrace. we saw tucans, howler monkeys and other birds in the surrounding trees. the pool area is nice with a great view. really good restaurant, good wines and great flambé pancakes - made right next to our table. the spa was closed when we was there but everywhere else a really good service. the only downside is the noise from the trucks on the road behind - we could not really hear it in the room but on the terrace.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmanDK
, Manager at Hotel Cuna del Angel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you very much for the time in writing your nice comments, we feel very happy that you enjoyed everything related with the hotel, we hope to see you again soon.
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2012

This hotel is set upon a hill overlooking the Pacific amidst the beautiul rain forest full of howler monkeys and beautiful birds. The breakfasts were served in their restaurants displaying the splendor and beauty of the area and was a great way to start the day off. The staff was courteous and very congenial. The only negative about the place was our room. We stayed in a cramped "jungle" room that had an outside covered deck but only a view into the hillside.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brent J
, Manager at Hotel Cuna del Angel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Hello Brent, thank you very much for the time in writing your comments, we feel glad you liked and enjoyed most of the services we offer, sorry you didn´t like the jungle rooms, some people like to be surrounded by jungle, maybe nex time you choose one of our deluxe rooms.
Dexter
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Do NOT use a groupon for this hotel or book via internet. As in most of Costa RIca, the best prices can be gotten on site. During the off season, no reservations are needed anywhere as hotels are empty.

Used a Groupon priced at $308 for three nights for two people, excluding the 13% sales tax. Arrived to see a large sign prominently displayed on the road in front: "Doubles starting at $79. 3 for 2 nights Friday and Saturday. 2 for 1 Sundays through Thursday."
My son and I traveled at the beginning of May which is the beginning of the "green" or off-season. The weather was fine. The hotel itself is quite nice, but you have to take a taxi for $12 one way to get to any other restaurants. The hotel restaurant is VERY EXPENSIVE. Waiter asked us if we wanted still or sparkling water and when we said sparkling, we were charged $12. Most meals were $30 - 50 without appetizer, per person. They automatically add in a 10% service fee and the 13% tax. If you go into Dominicale (taxi or local bus) you can buy some great seafood for 2 for about $30.
Beware of groupon deals or maybe it is the honesty of the management. The deal stated "a one-hour massage for two" was included. When we went to book our massages we were told by the receptionist that she was also did the massages and that the groupon was poorly written. It actually meant a 1/2 hour massage per person. We pushed back and they honored the wording of the Groupon. Also, the receptionist is the masseuse. We stayed three nights but only was able to book a massage on the morning on the day we checked out. She was off from work on one of the days and not available on the others because she was the receptionist.
The book in the room also stated that lunch was served from 11 to 6.( Lunch is much better priced than the dinner menu which is over double). When we arrived at 4:30 for lunch we were told that lunch ended at 4. I went back up to our room and brought down the book because I thought I might have misread it. I hadn't. When I pointed out the times in the hotel book, they honored them.
Overall, Cuna Del Angel is a quaint little boutique hotel. If you want to stay put and enjoy the views and don't mind paying the high prices, this might be a good choice. For us, we won't be back. Much better deals can be had in Dominicale or Quapos.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
hcda, Manager at Hotel Cuna del Angel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Hello dear costumer, please don´t miss lead future Groupon costumers or future clients, Groupon is a very serious company that analyzes very well each and every offer posted, and assures that don´t won´t get a better offer on the internet or on site. You are not telling the people who read your review that the offer for $79 a night is and offer on a lower category room, that has no comparisson with the one you bought, $79 is for a jungle room, a lot more rustic, groupon offer is on a standard deluxe, totally different. 3x2 and 2x1 specials, Groupon knew of this specials, this specials don´t include 1 hour massage per person on a couple, if you buy the special (3x2 or 2x1) and one hour massage per person on a couple the cost will be higher. We feel sorry that you considered our restaurant prices very high, we try to keep up with quality and have been rated as the best restaurant on the area. Yes 13% sales tax, and 10% service tax are added by law, is not a decision of the hotel, they are added in any restaurant that you go in Costa Rica. Regarding your massage, sorry for the misunderstanding, Groupon is not wrong, is 1 hour per person in a couple, and that is what all the future Groupon costumers will get. At the end please accept our apologies for not satisfy your needs.
UK
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed at Cuna del Angel mid April 2012. After 3 weeks in Costa Rica this was my beachside treat at the end of my trip. The rooms were pleasant enough and I booked myself into the restaurant for dinner for the first night of my stay. I asked for tap water in the restaurant and was told, for the first time in Costa Rica, that I had to have bottled water. It wasn't until the bill came that I was made aware my water for one was charged at $9. The food was fine, but unspectacular and at £100 for 3 courses for one I expect spectacular. Compare this with dinner at La Cusinga down the coast, $21 for 4 courses including juice, tea and tap water and the food and the price are both incomparable. This was the first time on my whole trip that I felt that I had been ripped off and that it was intentioanal only served to add to the annoyance.
On my return to the UK I checked my credit card bill and found an extra $200 charge from Cuna Del Angel on my card. After 2 unreturned emails to the hotel I asked the travel operator through whom I had booked the trip to intervene on my behalf. Cuna Del Angel admitted that they had charged someone else's bill to my card and agreed to refund me. That was 2 months ago. The money has still not been credited to my account, there has been a series of excuses for this but at no time have the hotel been proactive in chasing any of this; it is only at my prompting that anythigng gets done. Over 2 months of having to constantly chase this down is increasing frustrating, and despite a couple of half hearted apologies I have been neither convinced that this is being dealt with competantly nor have I been offered any form of compensation for the inconvenience, the interest incurred and the changes in exchange rate which will affect this refund.
I rarely write reviews on service but this irritation has driven me to as it I do not feel that I am being shown any respect or courtesy over this matter.

Room Tip: Don't go here without a car: it's iaccessible for those using public transport and cabs are...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Roisebud74
hcda, Manager at Hotel Cuna del Angel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Please accept our apologies on what happened to you during your stay at the hotel. Yes, you are right, we never had to charge those $200, it was a mistake, but believe me, we are doing all our efforts with the credit card company to return you the money, it is out of our control, we have the best intentions to return that money to you, we even decided not to charge a penalty when you decided to leave the hotel 3 days prior to your check out day, our policies state to charge a penalty with early check outs, but we fully understood your situation and the kind of hotel you were looking for and decided not to do the charge. We won´t stop doing our best to return your money.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
Villas Alturas
Villas Rio Mar
Villas Rio Mar
#3 of 14 in Dominical
Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas

Been to Hotel Cuna del Angel? Share your experiences!