“Stinks! Literally, it smells awful.”
Review of Hotel Domilocos

Hotel Domilocos
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We were welcomed in our room by an overpowering sewage smell. As if a room that smelled like a regurgitating septic system was not enough, the "cleaning lady" had left a large trash bag that contained all the hotel's trash just sitting outside our room. Were we checking in early before they had a chance to cleanup? No, it was 230 in the afternoon. So, after having my olfactory senses blown away, I headed downstairs to consult the owner about the obvious plumbing problems that the hotel is experiencing (see other reviews about the smell). He entered the room, sniffed around and looked at me like I was crazy. He had the gall to blame the sewage smell on the luggage I had brought in. Seriously, he tried to blame the septic smells on my belongings or maybe "something I stepped in." I was finally able to switch rooms (this one did not smell much better but was tolerable) after arguing with the owner. All the furniture is cheap bamboo and incredibly uncomfortable, especially the beds. The "maintenance man", who also doubles as the kitchen assistant at the restaurant, was cleaning the pool the entire time I was there, yet it was so filthy that I don't think that a frog would even care to live in it. Stay away from this place! The owner is rude, it is overpriced, and it just plain stinks. Furthermore, I believe that the owner is scamming Tripadvisor with false reviews. This review is legit, I stayed there and I have no motivation except to share my honest account and review of this place. At least the young lady who worked in reception was kind. You would be loco to stay at Domilocos.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank TheTamandua

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Hotel Domilocos is not just a hotel, it is a home. The minute we arrived, the owner Michael went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable with a great shower and bathroom. Michael and his wife Vivienne designed and built the hotel from scratch, and it is a friendly, Spanish Villa design with a beautiful garden. The restaurant not only serves the best food in town, but is a gathering place with a great sofa section in the corner where we all congregated, drank and had fun. I made myself a party with all of my new friends in Domenical (a very friendly place) and Michael and Vivienne served me and my friends just like I was family, cake and gifts included. Michael is an incredible host, and will stop at nothing to ensure his guests are happy.

This was the best hotel experience of my life and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a beautiful, peaceful escape where you will be surrounded by love.

Room Tip: liked the first floor but all are fine. They have a large honey mooon suite and a separate large ap...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eileen M
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We arrived in Dominical after a cold and rainy trip through the sierra. The weather was great and we did not have a clou were to stay for one night in this little surfer town. After checking out some hotels, we decided to stay in Domilocos - because it offers the best accomodation quality in town with nice rooms. Michael - the owner - gave us a lot of great tips for our holiday trip and we decided to give the restaurant a try. And that was the best decision we made - the Tapas were excelent - Pura Vida! To make the long story short - we stayed longer as we planed to stay in Dominical and eat 3 times Tapas in that great restaurant - Vivienne did a wonderfull job in the kitchen with her team. Best wishes to Michael and Vivienne - it was a great time in your hotel and restaurant.

Room Tip: Big suite on the first floor with balcony and ocean view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M K
Reviewed 28 December 2011

The owner was the best! I do not like insects. There was a wasp nest in the shower which sounds horrible... it was hilarious! We went and got the owner and he came up right away to get rid of them and never had any problems after that. The restaurant was very nice with the geckos chirping at night and the food was great. Had a great time in the little town of Dominical.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adriennelin
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed here 3 nights and were very pleased with it all. Our room was very clean with a strong hot shower. Bed = basic size, orthopedic matrass.
All staff is nice and pleasant.
It feels safe and friendly around here. Very close to the beautiful quiet natural beach.
We loved the hole vibe in this fantastic surftown and you just gotta unwind and enjoy....
The nextdoor restaurant ConFusion serves FANTASTIC red wines and a very tasty selection of tapas and other italian golden oldies like Pastas and Pizza. Cheers!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Luigiams
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed at THe hotel a whole week and enjoyed that big room 2nd floor with large balcony.Was fantastic!! After meeting the owner on our first day ; already made us feel at home.By the time evening came we enjoyed his tapas like menu (also has full meal options) and wine as he had a few good bottles.
The hotel is well maintained and the location perfect.Quiet in a corner of the town.Dominical is more quiet and down to earth.Still a lot of foreigners trying tosurvive by jewlery making but we see that every where. That being said the beach is to die for ; long and wide and nice to swim. Dom has it all:good affordable food, atm's, supplies,nice beach bars and lot's to do in the region.
Back to the hotel and Micheal the super friendly owner from holland and his tico wife. They love food and wine and so we got together one night to dine with them and offered to prepare a dish for them since they were looking for something to ad to the menu:a type of salad. After a few bottles of great wine offered to share my ceasar salad with them,wich i prepared in their restaurant and served to the staff afterwards.Kind of the guests serving the resto owners.Yes they loved the dish so much that by the next evening all the menus included the now famous * ceasar salad a la Philippe*. Yes it still makes me proud and i heard it was a big seller.Good for them!!! they work really hard at making everyone happy and i pray the second stage for the hotel will come to life.
The price includes a great breakfast to start your day and if you take the time you will find they know the area very well and can help arrange anything with a smile.
Very greatful to them and will return if only to have some wine and chat with Micheal

Room Tip: Small hotel very close to ocean.We had the penthouse room 2nd floor with large balcony,light and spa...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gohabsgo1954
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I love this place, just got back after staying for a week. Michael the owner and manager will really go out of his way to help out and made you feel at home. I was traveling alone, and he and his staff made me feel extremely welcome, more like a friend visiting than a hotel guest. I loved the three dogs on the property, they are charming, cute and friendly. 2 would often escort me to the beach in the morning, but if you're not a dog person don't worry, they'll leave you alone.
The place and rooms are really clean, with hot water (even during prime showering times) and A/C. there was a TV in my room but I never bothered turning it on. The bed was super comfy, and the breakfast offered at the restaurant was really good. Dinner was also tasty, I recommend the pizzas and tapas.
The price was right too, next time I'm in Dominical I know where I'm staying.
Oh yeah, the beach is literally less than 2 minutes away by foot and it takes maybe 5 minutes to get to town and the cafe right next door makes the best mango smoothies in the world.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo