“Perfect Place to Stay in Dominical!”
Review of Hotel Domilocos

Hotel Domilocos
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Menlo Park
“Perfect Place to Stay in Dominical!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I just got back from a week in Costa Rica and we stayed at Domilocos for 3 nights. It was very easy to set up the reservation via email with quick replies from the owner, Michael. We arrived about 8:30pm on the 1st night and were welcomed by Michael. After a long day of travel, Michael got us all set up in our room, breakfast tickets, and internet code. We dropped things off in the room and walked about 15 steps to the restaurant and order some Imperial beer and some food.

The simple buffet breakfast is included and there was a nice spread of coffee, juices, fruits, toast, scrabbled eggs and pancakes. It is located on the South end of Dominical about a 5 minute walk to the center. It is about 50 meters to a beautiful beach and good surf.
We ate at the restaurant at Domilocos a few times and the food was fantastic and atmosphere was relaxing. We drove a car to Dominical and it felt very safe to park it at Domilocos because of the overnight security guard. Air conditioning was a nice bonus.

I strongly recommend this place for your stay in Dominical!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the bottom floor near the restaurant and were very satisfied.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Perth, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We found this hotel to be very lovely. The staff and owner Mike were very friendly, helpful, and willing to accomadate. We stayed for 2 nights. We enjoyed the quiet sunset evenings, a short walk to the little village.
The restaurant seved a good breakfast. The suppers were to die for. The food was very good and a very resonable price. The staff helpful and friendly.
The receptionist was very helpfull when we were trying to book the whale watching tour. She booked it for us at no charge. After we checked out they on adivce of Mike kept our luggage until we returned from our tour.
For quiet nights, and the price this was a very good hotel. I would return.

1 Thank Bonny L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights while in Costa Rica. We loved this spot and would stay here again next time we go to Dominical. It is about a 5 minute walk off the main strip so it is a little quieter at night. The restaurant/courtyard is beautiful. It has a warm friendly atmosphere. Breakfast was included and because of the way the hotel is laid you have the opportunity to meet a lot of people. By the end of our stay we had met so many people that we almost felt like we had lived there for a year. The owner, Michael was amazing. He checked in with us everyday, got to know our names and even gathered us up one night and took us to another town to see a local band that was playing. If we were to go back I would now almost feel as though I was visiting friends rather than returning to a hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kdsNYC_11
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

You know what...if I owned a beautiful property like this, I would not want to chase clients away because of a bad odor for weeks if not months. Highway to ruin sir. We looked at all the good reviews and took a chance the stinky review was isolated and dealt wtih. NOT. We tried to tolerate it after check in but it permeated all the rooms and the courtyard which is lovely was unbearable to sit in. Like being near a cesspool. Checked back out and went to Roca Verde for the night instead. Please repair your problem and post wheni ts done. You will lose a lot of clients just like us.

Room Tip: Pool is just like a big hot tub to sit in. No laps in this one.
1 Thank tubtent6
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We were welcomed in our room by an overpowering sewage smell. As if a room that smelled like a regurgitating septic system was not enough, the "cleaning lady" had left a large trash bag that contained all the hotel's trash just sitting outside our room. Were we checking in early before they had a chance to cleanup? No, it was 230 in the afternoon. So, after having my olfactory senses blown away, I headed downstairs to consult the owner about the obvious plumbing problems that the hotel is experiencing (see other reviews about the smell). He entered the room, sniffed around and looked at me like I was crazy. He had the gall to blame the sewage smell on the luggage I had brought in. Seriously, he tried to blame the septic smells on my belongings or maybe "something I stepped in." I was finally able to switch rooms (this one did not smell much better but was tolerable) after arguing with the owner. All the furniture is cheap bamboo and incredibly uncomfortable, especially the beds. The "maintenance man", who also doubles as the kitchen assistant at the restaurant, was cleaning the pool the entire time I was there, yet it was so filthy that I don't think that a frog would even care to live in it. Stay away from this place! The owner is rude, it is overpriced, and it just plain stinks. Furthermore, I believe that the owner is scamming Tripadvisor with false reviews. This review is legit, I stayed there and I have no motivation except to share my honest account and review of this place. At least the young lady who worked in reception was kind. You would be loco to stay at Domilocos.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank TheTamandua
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Hotel Domilocos is not just a hotel, it is a home. The minute we arrived, the owner Michael went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable with a great shower and bathroom. Michael and his wife Vivienne designed and built the hotel from scratch, and it is a friendly, Spanish Villa design with a beautiful garden. The restaurant not only serves the best food in town, but is a gathering place with a great sofa section in the corner where we all congregated, drank and had fun. I made myself a party with all of my new friends in Domenical (a very friendly place) and Michael and Vivienne served me and my friends just like I was family, cake and gifts included. Michael is an incredible host, and will stop at nothing to ensure his guests are happy.

This was the best hotel experience of my life and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a beautiful, peaceful escape where you will be surrounded by love.

Room Tip: liked the first floor but all are fine. They have a large honey mooon suite and a separate large ap...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eileen M
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We arrived in Dominical after a cold and rainy trip through the sierra. The weather was great and we did not have a clou were to stay for one night in this little surfer town. After checking out some hotels, we decided to stay in Domilocos - because it offers the best accomodation quality in town with nice rooms. Michael - the owner - gave us a lot of great tips for our holiday trip and we decided to give the restaurant a try. And that was the best decision we made - the Tapas were excelent - Pura Vida! To make the long story short - we stayed longer as we planed to stay in Dominical and eat 3 times Tapas in that great restaurant - Vivienne did a wonderfull job in the kitchen with her team. Best wishes to Michael and Vivienne - it was a great time in your hotel and restaurant.

Room Tip: Big suite on the first floor with balcony and ocean view
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple