“Lovely, well-run place!”
Review of Hotel Domilocos

Hotel Domilocos
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
Reviewed 6 June 2013

This is an excellent hotel at a very reasonable rate. Dominical is a glorious beach. When I was there it was pretty empty, which suited me fine, though I gather there are high and low seasons. Still it's a beautiful, wide beach, undeveloped, peaceful place. The hotel is an easy walk to the beach. The rooms are basic (no TV) but attractive and roomy. There is internet in the room. The place is well run and the staff is friendly. The owner is German (or Swiss?), speaks at least 3 languages and is very engaging and responsive. The restaurant was good, though I only ate breakfast and a lunch there. But overall the atmosphere of the place was lovely, and for the price, it is an excellent deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 June 2013

This place is very basic... No bells and whistles at all. We chose to stay here for a night but then bailed out to another property after. The rooms are extremely basic but a decent size and clean. A decent value for the $50 we were charged but saw a painted sign in town adverting their $35 rate. I think it is common to charge less for those who are already in town and not booking ahead. The staff was friendly and didn't make us feel unsafe at all but we didn't feel comfortable leaving our cash and valuables there all day while we were out- no safe in there but not everyone has those in rooms.... With that factor combined with an uncomfortable bedew decided to head to another property in town instead with nicer beds and grounds.
If you just want a basic room with a good location Domilocos will do fine. Not a bad place at all just wasn't right for us on this trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at Hotel Domilocos and don't really have any complaints about this place. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and it's kind of refreshing not to have a TV, phone, or radio in the room. After all, you are on vacation and who wants these distractions? They do, however, have free wifi which is quick enough to let you stream movies from the internet. The hotel is also less than 100 m from the beach and far enough from the bars that you won't be bothered by the noise coming from them at night (yet close enough you can stumble back to your room after having one too many margaritas or Imperials).

Considering the other options in Dominical, I would highly recommend the Domilocos especially if you want to: 1) be near the beach; 2) stay in the town itself; and 3) don't rent a car while in Costa Rica. There are more upscale options in the area but you won't be within 100m of the beach and you will need to rent a car and/or hire taxis all the time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Yale_Alum
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

$50 per night including breakfast. Our room was clean but bathroom always had a sewerage smell. Bed was a bit squeaky but pretty comfortable. It was definitely nice having aircon. Breakfast is either buffet or not depending on how many people are staying there. Service at breakfast on our first morning (not buffet) was terrible - we sat down before 2 other tables but they were both served before us & had all finished & left before we ate. We had to go ask the kitchen if they were still bringing our food & discovered they didn't even know we needed food - I have no idea what the waitress was doing. The next morning was buffet & it was much better. One advantage of staying here was tagging along with Dylan from Sunset Surf when he took people out for surf lessons - for $5 each he drove us to surf spots Dominicalito & The Point & provided water, pineapple & homegrown bananas. Dylan's really nice & seemed like a great surf teacher.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank amaanda
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Clean room and good A/C. Having been to Costa Rica over 30 times in the last 9 years I realize things are more relaxed than the US.This was my second time , I stayed there a few years ago before construction was complete. They have come a long way and continue to make improvements. I didn't appreciate the stupid dogs either but it's Costa Rica! The owners were very helpful and nice. I'll stay there again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I recently stayed 5 nights here as part of a surf camp trip and was very happy overall. The staff were all really friendly and helpful and the room was very clean and spacious. The hotel is conveniently located only a few meters from the beach, and a short walk to the main street where the stores and restaurants are located. It was probably a little on the pricey side, but if you're in Dominical without a car and don't want to stay in a hostel then I don't think there were too many other decent options. The breakfast was good too, and wifi worked well except that I didn't quite have reception inside my room (at the end of the corridor). A/C and hot water were also fine.

Reading some of the other reviews, I think that some people have unrealistic expectations about what one should expect in a tropical beach location in a developing country. The people who call this place a "dump" have obviously not traveled too much beyond their comfort bubble, because that is a pretty ridiculous claim in my opinion. For example:
- The bed was definitely not the most comfortable I've ever slept on, but I didn't notice the dramatically loud squeaking that others reported.
- There are a lot of cats and dogs hanging around, but they mostly were just lying around quietly and didn't really bother my sleep at all.
- Admittedly the reception does smell of dog, but I didn't notice any obvious sewage smells that others mentioned. I sat in the courtyard daily and was never bothered by bad odors.
- The reception staff could speak perfect English, so not sure why others had issues with them.

Altogether I enjoyed my stay and would recommend Domilocos to others.

Pura vida.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank etb2102
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

I recognize a lot in the critics of other travelers. The front office is limited helpful, the reception smells of dog and you are waken by barking dogs in the morning. The rooms are spacious though very dark. The breakfast buffet is nice.

• Stayed: February 2013