“'crazy' about Domilocos” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Dominical
Voorburg, The Netherlands
“'crazy' about Domilocos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

My wife and I really had a fantastic time in hotel Domilocos. When we arrived in the village Dominical we thought it would only be for one night because we were on our way to Corcovado.
But after a splendid evening in the Italian restaurant “Confusione” (by far the best food we had in Costa Rica!) and the first holiday-night we slept really good, we decided to stay longer; finally another ten days!
The rooms are comfortable, clean, have a good working A/C and a superb price/quality ratio!
We’ve even got a discount because we stayed so much longer than we had planned. It was a pity the Jacuzzi was not yet working, but hey, you can’t have it all.
The restaurant is part of the hotel and it is absolutely great; fantastic food and good wines. If you are in (or the neighbourhood of) Dominical looking for a place to have diner, you really should go there!

The owners are a Dutch guy and his Costa Rican wife, and they were great hosts. Whatever we asked for or needed, they had time for us. They arranged some great trips for us of which the early-morning fishing trip was perhaps the nicest experience. He let me use his fishing gear and I caught 7 mackerels and a rooster-fish. Wow, what a blast !!!
We felt so sorry we had to leave. One thing we know for sure, next year we’ll be back, hopefully with some friends of us.

• Liked — good rooms and very good restaurant, close to the beach
  • Disliked — no remarks
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

We travel alot (my husband works for the airlines) - so don 't think I'm being picky, because I've seen everything - but I did not feel save at Domilocos - very weird environment - his own little Natzi camp?

I e-mailed the owner twice to book and phoned to confirm because Dominical is a 35 km drive down the worst dirt roads and bridges imaginable from Manuel Antonio - we totally shredded our rear tire on the SUV. When we got there, the girl at reception (nice enough but not a word of English) didn't have any reservation for us - but showed us rooms right next to the restaurant. We just drove from Puntarenus and were very tired, so asked if they had rooms away from the banging door of the restaurant, she said no - although there were around 10 rooms with the doors open. I asked her to call Michael thinking he may help translate - when the owner Michael stormed in, the girl had found 2 rooms 16 & 20, but then Michael said "No, you can't have 20 it's more expensive". I said, I reserved 2 rooms and just drove for 6 hours to get here, the least you could do is give us 2 quiet rooms. He just stormed off. Well, Dominical is very rustic with not much going for it except for the waves, so we decided to stay for 1 night.

The staff all stood around and glared at us the whole time, we thought that if we left our rooms they were going to steal our stuff. Even when we said hi or smiled, they glared. So weird, like the twilight zone. Hotel is okay for where it is, but that experience turned all 4 of us off.

We went down the dirt road to Sun Dancer, very rustic but clean and the staff were super nice, no fear they would steal from us there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JackyClaire
MiguelitoDominical, Owner at Hotel Domilocos, responded to this review, 30 April 2008
I´m sorry I can´t resist to write this response, but if I get a review, I want it to be fair, and this one isn´t fair.

I had email contact with the reviewer twice, once we spoke over the phone, and during this telephone conversation I accepted their reservation. As they didn´t want to give creditcard info, we agreed that I would keep the reservation (for the two quietest rooms we had available) until 3PM. Without them arriving before this time, or them calling us that they were on their way, I would remove the reservation after 3PM.
They came in at 5:30PM, were immediately annoyed by the fact that our receptionist didn´t speak Englsh very well, and more about the fact that they didn´t have a reservation any more. After three minutes the girl at the reception was almost crying, because they were very rude. I was at the beach at that moment, and another employee came to the beach to get me, to have me solve this big problem. So I went back to the hotel, and asked the receptionist what was the problem.
She didn´t get the chance to answer because the reviewer now started with me. How was it possible that there was no reservation, and the rooms that we had available (the same rooms that I had reserved for them, rooms behind the restaurant which are very quite), were completely unacceptable with all the noise from the restaurant etc etc. They wanted other rooms !!!!! The hotel was almost full, but there was one big room available, and another standard room. No problem, I said, but the big room is more expensive ($10 more). When I said this, the reviewer exploded more or less. Unacceptable, they shouldn´t have to pay more for a big room, because they had reservations, and she worked for a travel agency, and he worked for the airlines, and if I didn´t give the room for a lower price, she would put it on TripAdvisor immediately.
Realy nice. I gave the receptionist a sign that I didn´t want these people in the hotel, turned around and walked away to the beach.
What a pity that when I came back they were staying in the hotel, the receptionist was sick and tired of them and had just given them the rooms. But at least she paid the extra $10, and I was glad they left the next day.
We normally don´t have any problems with our guests, but arrogant people like this create their own problems.
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2008

Hotel Domilocos is an excellent hotel to stay at in Dominical. The hotel is newly built and has nice and clean spacious rooms, which even included air conditioning which was a huge plus. Not that it ever got too hot, but still it was nice having it. The beds are very comfortable and you get nice and hot showers, which is also another plus. My husband and I actually were driving around looking for a place to stay b/c we didn't have reservations and we were SO fortunate to come across this hotel. We stayed at various places in Costa Rica which included hostels and hotels, and this was by far one of the best in regards to the rooms. Addiitionally, I might add that the hostels in this area did not look too nice compared to the hostels that we stayed in in La Fortuna and Monteverde. This would be a place that I would want to spend a little more, which $40-50 is a GREAT PRICE for the added ammenities!!!! Another big plus was their Italian restaurant downstairs which has AMAZING food. I think I had the best lasangna that I have ever had. I also had a chance to take surfing lessons here which was a real treat, considering the beaches aren't as crowded as the beaches in Manuel Antonio. I WOULD HIGHLY recommend this hotel and would stay here again. :)

• Liked — Clean spacious rooms/ AC/ hot H20, 3 min walk to beach
  • Disliked — NO COMPLAINTS---loved everything!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2007

A beautiful hotel right in town at an amazing value. We stayed for four extra days we enjoyed it so much. The brand-new hotel is large, airy, and modern. The rooms are very tasteful and the bathrooms are huge and spotless. During low season, a double room is only $40 per night, much less than some of the dungeon-like rooms for rent right by the beach.
The owner, a warm Dutch man named Michael, made us feel right at home and his staff did the same.
If you'd like a nice (and kind of pricy) meal, there is Confusione, the Italian restaurant attached to the hotel. I'm not sure there's another restaurant in town with white linens.
I simply can't believe that people will stay anywhere else in Dominical within this price range. We loved the value, but stayed for the friendly, casual but elegant atmosphere. We'll be coming back to this hotel again and again.

5 Thank Lupinemoma