“Gourmet Raw Food 3 times a day, plus green juices”

and 1 more site!
Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Dominical
GreenLeadersSilver level
stamford
“Gourmet Raw Food 3 times a day, plus green juices”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Our last minute reservation turned out to be an excellent choice. Most of the time the food prepared for us was beyond expectations, including 3 green juices a day and fresh coconut water on demand. The surroundings are beautiful and very peaceful. We both had great massage twice within 7 days by Raquel - very skillful therapist - not to be missed. Fateh was extremely accommodating to our needs, and her Kundalini yoga classes every morning were divine on fresh air with early morning sun and sounds of waterfalls. We wish for longer hike trails on the property, and a planned swimming pool will be a great addition indeed. Be aware of additional cost of taxi to the nearby ocean beach $10 each way. The taxi drivers are very friendly. Great place to relax and eat healthy!

Room Tip: all rooms are greatly decorated and lovely, the first villa has the most sun exposure. we were in th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My husband and I traveled to Costa Rica for our 25th anniversary, I found this little gem of a resort by searching for vegetarian friendly vacations and now my ideas of travel are forever changed... I think I will let excerpts from my travel diary speak for themselves about this experience.
Day 1- arrived in the rain by private transportation. First impressions- Lit stone walkways, cobbles under foot, gracious host, natural interior, canopy bed, open shower and toilet, peaceful, zen. Dinner by candlelight was a fabulous end to a day of travel -blackberry drink, apple squash soup w cilantro, Fennel/orange/apple salad, tofu stuffed mushrooms, couscous, potato/mushroom ragout, raw chocolate tart and some fabulous costa rican coffee.
Day 2- Met Franco this morning who graciously served us a fabulous apple/cinnamon/soy smoothie along with my beloved steaming coffee, a fresh tortilla/tofu/tomato scramble and a lovely side of potatoes. Being a fast paced American woman I was asking about our schedule for the week ,what time is this and that etc. Franco wisely smiled at me and said "there is no time, you are on costa rica time" . This truly set the tone for the rest of the vacation. We met the lovely Fateh shortly thereafter, who shared her story with us and their vision and took me farther away from my fast paced world back home. We wander to the waterfalls-multiple levels, stone pathways, bamboo, restful benches, platforms, yoga platform perfectly placed by the falls, amazing noise of the water, gorgeous costa rican blooms.Wading in the falls, listening to nature, observe, sun through branches,lying on a bench we rest and listen. I feel the energy of the falls. To our room, void of internet/tv noise, I read and nap. 2pm I wander down for a detox massage with hot lava rocks- an intimate one person spa, with an outdoor shower surrounded by lush foliage. I have coffee first in the open air pavilion. I hear- water, quiet voices in native language chatter, it is calming. I see- palms, leaves, wind. I feel- open air, warmth, humidity. My therapist is kind, smiling , my massage begins with a coffee and chocolate exfoliation, then a warm chocolate soufflé applied to my skin, all followed by a hot stone massage. Scented oil,chocolate, I hear the forest rains begin, costa rican music plays softly in the background. I need a CD. Back in my room I soak in our hot tub- the sky is darkening , more rain is coming, it falls loudly- it is so peaceful watching from the porch as it falls on the lush leaves all around. I write and read, passing mindful moments in our peaceful suite. We wander to dinner, (we still dream of the lasagna that was served with a cashew lime pesto)-Vegan food the like of which I have never had before. Finished with an orange tart with a chocolate /nut base and more coffee of course. Back in our room we read to the noise of water and frogs chirping. Peace.
Day 3. Our private meditation class with Fateh. We are early so I ask for coffee in my typical American way- Franco tells me " I cannot give you coffee- you are going to meditation" . Wise man. We follow Fateh to the yoga platform overlooking the falls where we are told stories of yoga and gurus and the principles of interconnectedness and compassion. She talks of our brains and our hearts, we see her compassion and dreams. It starts to rain as we sit there, Franco walks down with umbrellas for us. Fateh teaches us meditation and mantras - the falls in front of us, the incense wafting by. I feel lighter,more energy,peace.
Day 4. Starting our day with organic tropical fruits oats and soy. We head to Dominical, our taxi ride easily arranged by Franco, we are dropped at a little one street town. Dirt roads, pot holes,surfboards,hostels. I am charmed. We connect to our children via text at a small coffee shop-coffee, the bleep of texts, curtains open to the street, blowing in the wind. We wander through little shops with art and jewelry and friendly shop owners. I am drawn to the fruit stand- watching coconuts cracked with a hatchet, given to thirsty surfers, I see fruit I do not know. So much I want to experience. We land at Cocos - a large open air pavilion overlooking the ocean-seeing palms, driftwood, surfboards, scattered tents with wares for sale. We eat cascadas, my husband has a cocktail. We walk to the beach with its crashing surf-to the left a forest and mountain view, to the right is driftwood with surfers perched upon them. Rocks pebble the beach, someone rides a wave. Shopping for trinkets, ambling along watching surf students and teachers and those who look like they live here. We end at Maco- an organic smoothie shop - having a green smoothie and an espresso martini . Stunning dinner at the resort-fresh juice drink, zucchini potato soup w cumin, cauliflower tofu dish, beet salad w almond mayonnaise and a pecan vegan ice cream for dessert. The food is so full of taste, texture and uniqueness, it is a delight. Full of food, full of this day we retire to our quiet room.
Day 5-The rhythm is different here- early to bed, arise with the noise of the day. Another charming breakfast, and we are personally driven by Franco to our tour of Manuel Antonio National Park- he skillfully shares stories of his country along the way- the rice fields, the palm factories, the Buddhist temple in the hills. Our tour guide is personally picked by the resort owners and waiting for us on arrival. We feel pampered and valued. Our guide regales us with stories of sex slave lizards and virgin births and teaches us of fauna and forest, intensely focusing his tripod he makes us feel like insiders, separate from all the other tourists there. We see sloths and white faced monkeys, ending at the gorgeous beach . We buy fresh mango from a man wandering the beach. Franco drives us back to the resort for a special lunch with a raw burrito. We learn it takes 8 hours to make the tortilla. It is delightful with fresh guacamole all artfully presented. Later we pass more time wandering the waterfalls. Dinner tonight is with an Asian flare,… We have so many questions about the food, so many new ways of preparation and presentation, we delight in each dish. Our waiter in the evening is Donald, he is always smiling, kind and gentle- we feel always as if we are hosted by friends.
Day 6- We have breakfast peppered with conversation from fellow guests. They are vegan activists , we share stories over apricot nectar and a delicious tofu scramble with tortillas,rice and beans. Our fellow guests decide to join us for our hike today to Nauyaca falls - Franco brings her a pair of his wife’s shoes so she will be able to go . Again feeling amongst friends. We walk to the falls , along the way we learn from Franco- about types of coconuts, tiny fruit by a soccer field. He feeds us edible flowers , shows us the wonders of wildlife here. The walk to the falls is downhill. An agouti passes by. The forest thickens and the trail narrows as we walk. The ground is moist, blackened with dirt,red roots and trees twisted with vines. We hear the falls before we see them.. stunning, powerful with a deep pool at the base. We cross onto rocks , led by Franco. I am never a fan of dark waters but I am in costa rica at a waterfall, how can I not get in? The water is cold ,rocks are slippery but I am in- the current is surprising , it takes me 2 tries to make it to the base of the falls. We each take turns sitting under the falls -it pummels your back, your face-cold,fresh,clear. Invigorating. I don't want to leave. We dry on the rocks, scattered like seals. Franco has a delightful lunch for us , a special one for me in keeping with my gluten free requests. We eat on the rocks in the sun, sharing the energy of the falls. The walk back is a trek- remember the downhill :). It is payback for the nice walk we had to get here. We are glad to reach theRambutan/ Lychee tree where we pause and gather our breath and eat fresh tropical fruit from the tree that currently hangs heavy with its delights. It is a perfect mid-hike moment. I am here alive in this beautiful country eating fresh tropical fruit from the tree. Don't forget. Franco stretches us out after the hike amidst high fives for a hike well done as parakeets fly overhead. We stop at an open air bar and enjoy an ice cold drink with majestic views of a forest/mountain range. Good conversation and basking in the afternoon of a day well spent. Once back at the resort the humidity has caught up with our room when the A/C was off. We are quickly given an adjacent suite next door to use as our room dries. Dinner is a raw feast of ravioli with walnut cheese and cashew lime pesto with red pepper drizzle , dressed with polenta quinoa with cream mushroom sauce and slow roasted squash, followed by a carrot tart with coconut cream. A lively discussion with fellow guests centered around kale, careers and vinyl records.
Day 7-Today we have our couples massage by the falls. We watch as an assistant carries tables down to the falls. They greet us when we walk down to the second deck. They take photos for us. Incense burns on all corners of the deck, the waterfalls gurgle around us, we lie covered in towels as sunshine trickles through the leaves. I remember to be in the moment-to breath, to relax to listen. This place makes it easy. My treatment is lovely. My therapist covers my eyes at the end and whispers thank you, its a reminder of the simple power of touch and words.
We are next set up for a romantic waterfall lunch. As always there are special touches everywhere- the bottom deck set up , flowers scattered, branches tied to the deck edges. We start with a raw pepita decorated with cashew cheese- it is fabulous and I am intrigued by how it is created. Donald pours us champagne followed by a large tray of homemade truffles, dipped strawberries , fresh tropical fruits and centered in the midst is a chocolate raspberry torte .Star fruits and fresh flowers decorate the plate. Conversation flows, about past , present ,future. Rain comes, and we run up the rain drenched path rescuing what delights we can in the process, laughing at ourselves and each other.
We head to Dominical again to connect with our littles. I am drawn to the fruit stand again and cursing my lack of Spanish I manage to exchange currency for a "fruit" I do not know -he peels them and puts them in a bag for me. Later I think he must be smiling, for whatever I bought , it isn't so "Fruity" -somewhere between a yam and a squash yet soft in texture. The town is quiet today- even the beach, drizzled with rain , stands alone. A rock temple greets us amongst the driftwood, waves crash. Again we are at peace with this country, this moment. What more can you ask from a vacation?
Dinner is initiated with a fruity drink and an incomparable asparagus soup with cilantro and baby asparagus tips followed by vegetables with cauliflower cream (for which I must have a recipe!), a side of tender brussel sprouts with onions and cilantro with a yam/apple/raisin curry and for dessert a raw chocolate torte with ice cream.
Day 8 Everything has such an ebb and flow here, even the pattern of the flow of the shower mimics this. We find out that the soap and shampoo in the suites are all locally made. Of course the resort itself is eco friendly in many other ways.
Breakfast today is a yucca patty with tofu scramble and a fresh fruit smoothie. We have arrangements to take a raw foods preparation class today with Fateh. Franco drives us as it takes place at his home up the mountain. The vista is gorgeous with mountains and forest and floor to ceiling windows open to air. Fateh and her dog greet us warmly and welcome us to the open kitchen where food is prepped for our class-bowls of soaked nuts, raisins, chopped fennel, peppers, onions, broccoli, mango, orange and lemon zest. Fateh guides us expertly through her repertoire of tools (mandolin, food processor, vitamix, dehydrator) and our entire raw foods menu- Zucchini rolls with broccoli-mole filling, Sweet camote unfried fries, sweet and sour mango dressing, avocado sauce and a coconut ginger ice cream for dessert. It is a delight to see that there is truly no skimping on fresh organic ingredients-from oils to Turkish apricots, to salt hand carried back from Bali. Fateh believes in the food that we eat and it shows in every touch she put into the ingredients of the food she prepared for us and the food that is prepared at the resort. She told us stories - of her culinary experiences, of how and why she buys her ingredients, of her recipes being perfected. She teaches us about living raw and teaches us about fermentation and nutrition. We end our discussions by imbibing in the food we created along with a lively dose of fresh Kombucha-the food is artfully and thoughtfully presented, set with bean sprouts , fresh spinach to garnish and sauces on the side. I find it amazing, delicious ,different. I want to send my oldest daughter here to learn from Fateh.
Day of Departure- Franco has arranged for our same driver to take us back to the airport. We have a leisurely breakfast of chia porridge, tropical fruits and smoothies and I am set with my coffee once again. We are sad to say our goodbyes but Franco tells us to come back during dry season and we will make arrangements for a coffee tour . Having gotten my love of coffee, he advises me which brands to buy at the shops on the way out.
As we drive we reflect once more on the beauty of this country, on the exquisite touches of the resort, of the openness and friendliness of the owners and staff. We felt so at home and at peace here-a rest for our minds- and we leave feeling more connected to each other, to nature and to our foods. Thank you to Franco and Fateh for your hosting and the delight of getting to know you and your country.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joy B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2013

From the moment we landed in Costa Rica we knew this would be a perfect vacation. It is hard to describe exactly what makes Costa Rica so magical - it's the beauty of the land, the kindness of the people, the pride they have in their country. Staying at the Waterfall Villas is a shining example of all this.
The resort itself is too beautiful for words, set on a waterfall that lulls you to sleep. The food is phenomenal - it has inspired me. My husband and I have only been vegan for about 2 years and it is wonderful to have Fateh's years of experience to learn from.
During our stay we were lucky enough to see a humpback whale with her calf, dolphins jumping in the ocean, the awesome flight of the pelicans and so much more. We even had a crocodile eyeing us as we kayaked through the mangroves. And of course waterfalls at every turn. The hike to Nauyaca Waterfalls is not an easy one but so worth it.
I could go on and on - but I will just say this was the best vacation and we will definitely be back to Waterfall Villas!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2013

After our trip last August, it wasn't even a question that we would be returning to the Waterfall Villas it was only a matter of when. We didn't even make it a full year, our second trip was early july 2013. The Staff is wonderful and the food is delicious, we already knew we loved the Waterfall Villas and now our friends that we returned with love it too. We all are eagerly planning our next trip can't wait to be back miss it more every day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gregory S
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This Resort is beautiful. The grounds are well kept with very spiritual type decorations. They have 2 little hiking trails and you can walk around the waterfall and sit by it in the chairs they have set up.
My boyfriend bought a knife at the souvenir shop that we can't bring in our carry on bags, so our host offered to ship it to us from California when he visits in October.
The vegan breakfast and dinners were always fantastic and delicious.
Our host was accommodating and knowledgeable. He helped us out with whatever he could.
We picked the Dolphin watching cruise, and 2 waterfall hikes which included a jungle hike in the second one.
The dolphin cruise was a bust. There were no dolphins to see, so I can't recommend this tour.
The second day we had a national park hike planned , but I didn't bring shoes with proper traction. Our host took us to the beach and to a waterfall instead and that was a nice time.He included homemade lunch.
Our third tour was a jungle/ waterfall hike. This was the best part of the trip. We saw all sorts of animals and had a wonderful tour guide.

Cons:
- We had ants in our room by the third night, We didn't have any open food around and we still can't figure out why we had ants. They were headed for the toilet and jumping in the water.
- The bedding was washed or dried with strongly scented material and it caused my boyfriend to have an allergic reaction all over his body. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to bring benedryl.
-There was no hair dryer in the room or laundry service like you would have in a typical hotel. After all of the wet tours and hikes, our clothes and shoes were soaked and mildewy. We had no way to dry them. Definitely bring a hair dryer!

* Make sure to have cash on you if you want to go to the bars at night in Dominical. You need cash for the taxi and the bars.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Pellucidsoul
Arizona
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at the Waterfall Villas from June 22-July 1 and it was the first time in "many" years that I can honestly say I relaxed completely without the phones, computers, TV, radio, etc etc. The ultimate in rejuvenation and "getting away from it all." We had the private pickup to and from the airport and I recommend that. No hitches.

Donald was awaiting us for check-in and got us settled in the dragonfly suite which we loved. All rooms have balconies overlooking the calming stream below. Our room had no A/C, but we enjoyed it just fine as we were provided with a nice floor fan we turned on us at night along with the ceiling fan. Very comfy. We had a resident small gecko who vocalized to us at night from the ceiling and I would chirp back at him. There is also a family of larger geckos outside the room which we enjoyed.

Fateh was away on a yoga retreat to Bali but husband Franco did a marvelous job of arranging all of our excursions for us and even led us personally on the hike to Nauyaca Waterfall which was amazing. Franco is a true naturalist and knows his native Costa Rican flora and fauna well and it was such a treat to have him point out interesting flowers, fruits, plants, and wildlife along the way. I must warn you though, that you better be in pretty good shape to hike the trail OUT of the falls as it is a somewhat challenging uphill trek all the way.

Other excursions we did included a trip to Corcovado National Park, Manuel Antonio National Park, and whitewater rafting, all of which were great! If it is your first time to Costa Rica, I would say that out of all of these, the Manuel Antonio excursion is a must. We also walked the 2 km to the Reptilandia reptile park just up the road from Waterfall Villas. We highly recommend that--tell the owner Quetzal, that Ted sent you.

We also did the couple's massage along the waterfalls which was such a treat. The best massages we have ever had--anywhere.

The waterfalls on the property are very nice and make for some good photos. We found several species of toads and frogs, lizards, and even fruit bats, and many neat birds.

The food was absolutely wonderful! Hats off to Fateh for teaching the gals who do such an admirable job of preparing those delicious meals! Even though Fateh was not present, we could feel her touches around the property and with the decor in the room. We hope to meet her in the future.

I hit it off with Donald, Franco's brother talking about wildlife and whatever. He was such a treat to meet and visit with.

Can't say enough about this place and the people who are involved. So friendly and accomodating. I miss them already.

Being vegan made this all the better, but we did eat a couple of lunches in Dominical. If you are vegan, we recommend eating at Maracatu which had some very tasty vegan dishes. Another place is Chapys where we had an excellent vegetarian pannini. Wow!

Recommendations: Bring a deck of cards, insect repellent, water shoes for wading along the creek, etc. We spent quite a few afternoons watching it rain on our balconey and we read, talked and just relaxed. We also played a lot of rummy in the evenings. Terrific!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AZTedandBarbee
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We found Cascadas Farallas after searching for vegan retreats. Although our schedule did not allow us to meet Fateh (owner) while we were there, she was very reponsive to all my emails and so helpful in planning our trip. My wife and I did the 7 day vegan package with a mixture of raw and cooked meals. The chef was very thoughtful with our meals including many allergy issues my wife was dealing with. The food was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. It was so nice not to worry about cooking or searching for restaurants with healthy vegan food while travelling. We got 3 delicious meals a day. When we had day trips planned we let the kitchen know and they packed a nice lunch for us. The location was perfect -- away from the crazy night life on the beach and the heavily trafficked tourist areas. I loved the small scale of the retreat. We visited the secluded waterfalls on the property nearly every day -- it was a great way to cool off. The management accommodated our 1 year old baby without any problems (although we brought our own port-a-crib). We loved our (air-conditioned) room. I really appreciated Franco's help in arranging a rental car for us when we needed it for a day trip to the mountains and also in calling a speedy driver to get us back to the airport on our last day. We did several day trips that were arranged by the owners and enjoyed them all - especially the waterfall hike led by Franco. Perhaps the only potential problem we noticed is that the trips we requested were planned without any input from us. In other words we did not know the days, times, manner of travel or eating arrangements until we asked after we arrived. It didn't really matter for us because our plans were flexible enough that we were able to adapt without any issues. However, another couple that we got to know was upset because a day trip they had paid for conflicted with their plans to drive back to the airport. So you might want to clarify your day trips before you go if you want the owners to arrange them for you. I highly recommend Cascadas Farallas, especially if you like to get away from the touristy stuff and enjoy some peace and quiet without making your own vegan food.

Room Tip: I think it was worth it to pay extra for an air conditioned room. A couple of the rooms sit right ov...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winterfall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dominical
Villas Alturas
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge
Hotel Diuwak
Hotel Diuwak
#11 of 14 in Dominical

Been to Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas? Share your experiences!