“The best of the Osa- by Jeremiah”

Guaria de Osa Ecolodge
Glacier, Washington, United States
“The best of the Osa- by Jeremiah”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had been to the Osa on a few different trips before discovering Guaria de Osa. I must say that Guaria is the most beautiful lodge I have been to. The location is supreme..the jungle is rich with wildlife (beautiful birds, monkeys, butterflys, tapirs and their beautiful pet scarlet macaw named Anna). The ocean is beautiful for swimming and when the tide is right makes for some really great surfing. Guaria is located a short boat ride from Cano Island which has some of the best scuba diving and snorkeling I have ever done. The Island is a marine preserve and located at the edge of a deep ocean channel so unlike reef diving you have the opportunity to experience many other diverse species of deep water wildlife. Corcovado National Park is very close..last time I was there we saw Jaguar footprints! No Jaguar but maybe next time. The lodging is clean and comfortable with a super friendly and informative staff. The food is great! They try to incorporate local cuisine such as fish and jungle fruits and juices. I cant tell you enough how amazing real fresh mango juice tastes! I'd go back just for that alone!! One of the best things is hanging out in the Lapa Lapa lodge. The lodge is 3 floors with areas for relaxing in a hammock, an upper floor for yoga with beautiful local reclaimed hardwood floors, and the top floor for getting massages or meditating. You must watch the sunset for the top floor! I will have been back to Guaria 3 times now and will return again on my nest trip to Costa Rica

Room Tip: There are some raised platform cabins right near the beach if you like the sound of the ocean while...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Durango, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I couldn't have asked for a more incredible opportunity to visit Guaria de Osa! As a volunteer, I felt so at home with all of the helpful staff, with Jonathan, the steward of Guaria de Osa and the amazing experiences provided by the gorgeous setting. The accommodations are fantastic and very clean. And the food surpasses that of most retreat centers.There are many activities to choose from daily, cultural and jungle exploration or the opportunity to truly relax into the tranquility of where the rainforest and ocean meet. Definitely one of the most beautiful places on this Earth. Exhibiting the true meaning of "retreat", I found myself and my life transformed in the best of ways after my time at Guaria. I will continue to return year after year!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

A real mission to get to from New Zealand but it was so worth it. I had the most amazing time here and I loved every moment. Wonderful people, beautiful surroundings, stunning sunsets and plenty of wildlife I've never encountered before. I had the most amazing experience swimming at night in the bio luminescence - breathtaking.
We hired some horses and had a friendly local took us on a trek that weaved along the coast from beach to bush, saw spider monkeys and even stopped for a swim at a river mouth. Bliss!
Another day we walked about 15 minutes to Rio Claro and hired some kayaks.
Down the other end of the beach is a beautiful waterfall- a lovely, peaceful place to visit.
I couldn't think of a more beautiful place to do yoga, we could see the sea and listen to the birds - I walked away from Guaria de Osa a very relaxed and happy camper.
The living/sleeping arrangements are great, I loved hearing the waves crashing a night mixed with the sounds of the jungle. I didn't mind the cold showers, it was so humid that they were a welcome escape from the heat.
I also participated in turtle patrol a few times, I feel so privileged to say I've helped save the turtles from poachers.
I hope that I will have another opportunity to visit again, thank you to Jonathan and all the lovely staff :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank velocitynz
ladna, Public Relations Manager at Guaria de Osa Ecolodge, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you so much for your visit and taking the time to write up a review here on tripadvisor. We were so happy to host your stay at Guaria de Osa - thank you for coming so far to visit us on the beautiful Osa Peninsula. Sending the very best from all of us at Guaria de Osa Ecolodge
Fort Yukon, AK
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The best location we stayed at during our trip through Costa Rica. This is an optimal spot if you like seclusion. The staff is amongst the friendliest people we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The beach is incredible for playing in the waves and watching stunning sunsets. A variety of exploration options within close proximity: Corcovado National Park (to the South) and an awesome tour of Rio Claro by a local family (to the North). Thank you Jonathan and all the staff that made our stay delightful and memorable. We look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison_and_Matt
Pura Vida from Guaria de Osa! We were so happy to host your stay on the Osa Peninsula. Thank you so much for taking the time to write up this review which is so inspirational to us. The birds, monkeys, whales, dolphins, flying fish and staff await your next visit! Best always, Guaria de Osa
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I traveled here on a ten-day Group Retreat. This was truly a memorable and life-affirming experience that is sure to be one of the most impactful things I have ever done. Guaria de Osa is one of the most remote places I have ever visited on earth, and while down there I was more in tune with nature and with myself than I have ever been. I also have fond memories of everyone I met down there, both fellow retreat-goers and those working. Jonathon and his staff are excellent stewards and guides, and helped make Guaria a temporary home away from home. There were many things to do - horse rides, hikes, ocean swimming - but I was often satisfied relaxing in the oceanview cabin, listening to the sound of the waves and the wildlife. Guaria is a little slice of heaven that I can always conjure up in daily life. It is truly a place that changes lives. I will leave it at that.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jayhawk_traveler_88
Oakland, California
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Costa Rica is a magical place by itself; but Guaria's staff, food, cozy rooms/ cabins made it really special. I was there as part of a ten day group retreat and had amazing experience learning and getting to know folks from all over the world. Great care was taken to cater to the guests for dietary and accommodation needs. The wildlife on the grounds and close ocean beach was amazing. You can even take part in the daily early morning "turtle watch" to save some of the most endangered species from poachers. And one of Costa Rica's greatest National Parks is a few hour's hike down the beach. There are many day trips and tours to explore the Osa Peninsula while you are staying at Guaria. But just hanging out at the beach and in the rainforest is very relaxing and rejuvenating. Definitely recommend this "piece of heaven on earth" to all....

Room Tip: All the rooms/ cabanas are quiet and cozy. I saw monkeys in the trees outside my window!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
california
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Guaria de Osa is by far one of the best possible places to stay on the osa pennisula. I have travelled extensively on the Osa and tried different accommodation types. I joined the Guaria de Osa group retreat and was amazed at the quality of service, the location, the wildlife conservation, and the other guests.

There is something magical about this place that seems to attract similar minded and appreciative people. The accommodations were very comfortable, the food was simply amazing, the staff made me feel like family, and the travels to and from were seamlessly organized.

After this retreat I know that anytime I come to the Osa this is the place I will stay.

Room Tip: There are nice bungalows near the beach, fall asleep to the sound of the waves and wind and wake up...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank honest_dude_ca
ladna, Public Relations Manager at Guaria de Osa Ecolodge, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Friend,

We are so honored and pleased that you loved your time at Guaria de Osa.
Your experience fills us with happiness and inspiration.
Your review is the best possible confirmation that we are accomplishing our mission.
Thank you, sincerely, for your recent visit.

We hope to see you again sooner than later.
In best regards and PURA VIDA!
Guaria de Osa
#27 of 40 in Osa Peninsula
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Guaria de Osa Ecolodge? Share your experiences!