“Enjoy the Osa”

Guaria de Osa Ecolodge
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Guaria De Osa is amazing. if i were to say my favorite part of my trip there it would have to be the whole trip. Even getting to Guaria De Osa is amazing, by air, by water and by road. The accommodations were lovely and I cannot say enough about the staff and volunteers. Everyone was friendly and the food was delicious and felt good to eat so clean. As far as Dahlia and Jonathan, you can tell that their hearts are in their work. From start to finish the logistics were easy to sort out (with the generous help from Dahlia) and once I was there, if i needed anything Jonathan would provide a source of help. I was there over my birthday and the staff and volunteers made a beautiful chocolate cake for me to share with everyone there. To me that is more than I needed to know that the people involved with Guaria De Osa care about the individuals that stay in their ecolodge. There is no shortage of beauty and activities in and around the ecolodge to experience. Truly an experience I will never forget!!

1  Thank JennaNatalyia

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had very little idea as to what my experience on the Osa would be like. I visited the more populated Nicoya Peninsula one year earlier and enjoyed my time on the beaches and meeting the locals, but found it to be very dangerous in certain areas. I stayed at Guaria for a retreat last winter and met some of the most wonderful people. Waking up each day with the sun and laying my head to rest with moon above was like hitting a reset button for my entire being. Jonathan was our guide and he was able to take some time from his writing to go on hikes with us through the jungle, hacking into the thicket along the way with a machete in hand. telling us stories of the plant life and what properties they provide. He was able to take us on a boat ride out to Cano Island and told us the lore of the land. Each day we gathered together for meals enjoying the company of new family and friends. If you get the chance to enjoy Sarah's acupuncture treatments go for it! She's wonderful and all proceeds go to a noble cause. In the spirit of the rain forest get down Guaria de Osa and replenish yourself with the warm pacific ocean water at your feet and amazing plants and wildlife above. The meals and accommodations were simple yet luxurious for this backpacking hostel-staying girl. I will definitely return to Guaria when my turn comes up again.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my room way up on the hillside as it promoted me running up and down several times a day...
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I went on a retreat here last Jan, and loved it so much I am returning again this year. Guaria is a true " GEM "! The incredible Ecco lodge, rainforest, beaches, waterfalls, hikes, wildlife, sunsets surfing , snorkeling & all that jazz. Guaria has everything for singles or families. You take a charter plane, boat ride and a short hike to get there but that was part of the fun & so worth it.
I "love" remote places, but it was nice to be able to experience the remoteness and not have to backpack 20 miles in to do it & to feel pampered as if I was at a resort. That is what is so unusual & surprised me the most about Guaria,
I have to say the pics & description don't come even CLOSE to giving the "feel" or "beauty" of this special place & don't do it justice.
My room was on stilts over looking the ocean and was wonderful. The food is fantastic, the owners and staff are the nicest people you will ever meet & make you feel welcome and at home. I slept better here then iv slept anywhere.
It's truly a magical place & like most magical places you need to actually go experience it for yourself !
I just booked my reservations for Jan 2014 and am getting excited even just "thinking" about going back.
If you get fortunate enough to stay when Jonathan is there, he's the real deal, So knowledgeable and his hikes are the best. My family lived in CR for 20 years & there are a lot of beautiful places, but Guaria takes the cake for me.

Room Tip: The rooms on the hill are a short hike up & down but so worth it if you want a view.
2  Thank Debi P
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had been to the Osa on a few different trips before discovering Guaria de Osa. I must say that Guaria is the most beautiful lodge I have been to. The location is supreme..the jungle is rich with wildlife (beautiful birds, monkeys, butterflys, tapirs and their beautiful pet scarlet macaw named Anna). The ocean is beautiful for swimming and when the tide is right makes for some really great surfing. Guaria is located a short boat ride from Cano Island which has some of the best scuba diving and snorkeling I have ever done. The Island is a marine preserve and located at the edge of a deep ocean channel so unlike reef diving you have the opportunity to experience many other diverse species of deep water wildlife. Corcovado National Park is very close..last time I was there we saw Jaguar footprints! No Jaguar but maybe next time. The lodging is clean and comfortable with a super friendly and informative staff. The food is great! They try to incorporate local cuisine such as fish and jungle fruits and juices. I cant tell you enough how amazing real fresh mango juice tastes! I'd go back just for that alone!! One of the best things is hanging out in the Lapa Lapa lodge. The lodge is 3 floors with areas for relaxing in a hammock, an upper floor for yoga with beautiful local reclaimed hardwood floors, and the top floor for getting massages or meditating. You must watch the sunset for the top floor! I will have been back to Guaria 3 times now and will return again on my nest trip to Costa Rica

Room Tip: There are some raised platform cabins right near the beach if you like the sound of the ocean while...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I couldn't have asked for a more incredible opportunity to visit Guaria de Osa! As a volunteer, I felt so at home with all of the helpful staff, with Jonathan, the steward of Guaria de Osa and the amazing experiences provided by the gorgeous setting. The accommodations are fantastic and very clean. And the food surpasses that of most retreat centers.There are many activities to choose from daily, cultural and jungle exploration or the opportunity to truly relax into the tranquility of where the rainforest and ocean meet. Definitely one of the most beautiful places on this Earth. Exhibiting the true meaning of "retreat", I found myself and my life transformed in the best of ways after my time at Guaria. I will continue to return year after year!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2013

A real mission to get to from New Zealand but it was so worth it. I had the most amazing time here and I loved every moment. Wonderful people, beautiful surroundings, stunning sunsets and plenty of wildlife I've never encountered before. I had the most amazing experience swimming at night in the bio luminescence - breathtaking.
We hired some horses and had a friendly local took us on a trek that weaved along the coast from beach to bush, saw spider monkeys and even stopped for a swim at a river mouth. Bliss!
Another day we walked about 15 minutes to Rio Claro and hired some kayaks.
Down the other end of the beach is a beautiful waterfall- a lovely, peaceful place to visit.
I couldn't think of a more beautiful place to do yoga, we could see the sea and listen to the birds - I walked away from Guaria de Osa a very relaxed and happy camper.
The living/sleeping arrangements are great, I loved hearing the waves crashing a night mixed with the sounds of the jungle. I didn't mind the cold showers, it was so humid that they were a welcome escape from the heat.
I also participated in turtle patrol a few times, I feel so privileged to say I've helped save the turtles from poachers.
I hope that I will have another opportunity to visit again, thank you to Jonathan and all the lovely staff :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank velocitynz
ladna, Public Relations Manager at Guaria de Osa Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you so much for your visit and taking the time to write up a review here on tripadvisor. We were so happy to host your stay at Guaria de Osa - thank you for coming so far to visit us on the beautiful Osa Peninsula. Sending the very best from all of us at Guaria de Osa Ecolodge

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The best location we stayed at during our trip through Costa Rica. This is an optimal spot if you like seclusion. The staff is amongst the friendliest people we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The beach is incredible for playing in the waves and watching stunning sunsets. A variety of exploration options within close proximity: Corcovado National Park (to the South) and an awesome tour of Rio Claro by a local family (to the North). Thank you Jonathan and all the staff that made our stay delightful and memorable. We look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alison_and_Matt

Pura Vida from Guaria de Osa! We were so happy to host your stay on the Osa Peninsula. Thank you so much for taking the time to write up this review which is so inspirational to us. The birds, monkeys, whales, dolphins, flying fish and staff await your next visit! Best always, Guaria de Osa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake Bay
#2 of 49 in Drake Bay
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Guaria de Osa Ecolodge? Share your experiences!