Casa Horizontes captures the true spirit of Costa Rica, and the warmth of a family that genuinely tries to provide comfort to their guests. We are a family of four (daughters age 12 and 14) who came to Drake Bay at the end of a month of travels through Costa Rica, and stayed for six nights.
Hosts Yami and Pedro, with daughter Gloriana, treated us like we were part of their family. As historical residents of Drake Bay, they have the best information and perspective on tours and activities in the area. Pedro picked us up when we arrived by boat, and each day offerred to pick-up anything we needed/wanted from the local store. Yami checked-in each day and helped us arrange any tours we were interested in.
The house is beautifully constructed by Pedro, with hand carved woodwork and attention to make sure the rooms are comfortable. Beds had mosquito nets and bathrooms were clean with good showers. Fans helped keep the house cool in the evening and the dining area outside overlooking the bay was a perfect place to see toucans, monkeys, scarlet mccaws, iguanas, sea birds, hummingbirds, and many other creatures. Monkeys visited every day and this was one of the highlights for our daughters.
The food was simply spectacular and some of the best cuisine we have found while staying at bed and breakfasts. Morning meals were always healthy and delicious with fresh fruit, eggs, toast and juice. Dinners were diverse and delicious, including freshly caught fish, chicken, beef, home-made lasagna, salads and tasty deserts. Fresh coffee and cookies were always available in the afternoons, and Yami would arrange for a picnic lunch if requested.
Yami helped us arrange tours including:
1. Tracy the bug lady night tour -- fascinating and highly recommended.
2. Cano Island Snorkeling -- we went with a local guide who was excellent, seeing humpback whales and snorkeling with sharks/rays and many tropical fishes.
3. Hike to San Josecito beach with Yami's sister as guide -- she was fantastic and the hike was very beautiful.
When our daughter was feeling ill, Yami helped us postbone a tour until she was well enough to go.
Yami and Pedro were extremely attentive, but never intrusive. We always felt that we had privacy and time to relax when we needed it. Their family is inspirational and amongst all the things we experienced on this trip, probably these memories we will reflect on the most.
If you are looking for accomodation in Drake Bay that allows the opportunity to experience some Costa Rica culture, a wonderful family that will take good care of you if you run into any problems, access to the best tours/guides in the area, and food that would rival the best resorts, then we highly recommend Casa Horizontes.
We will return to Drake Bay in the future as the area is so spectacular with so many more things to do, and without a doubt we would stay again at Casa Horizontes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The house is a wooded building, with an ocean view balcony, located away from the main town, but just 200 meters from the beach; it also has a tropical garden with a lot of forest in the backyard, a lot of wildlife is spotted from the balcony. Yamileth and Pedro Caravaca offer rooms with a ceiling fun, and shared hot water shower, breakfast, laundry service, tours and transportation info. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Casa Horizontes Corcovado reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Horizontes Corcovado Costa Rica/Drake Bay