“You have to stay here - it is outstanding”

Casa Horizontes Corcovado
Ranked #4 of 18 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Godalming, United Kingdom
“You have to stay here - it is outstanding”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Casa Horizontes is a fantastic place to stay. Yami and Pedro are very welcomong, caring, considerate and helpful hosts. The location has great views of Drake Bay from the balcony and the birds and animals are all around. A huge iguana sunning itself and vultures drying their wings after a rainstorm in a nearby tree, monkeys attempting a raid on the breakfast table on the balcony, all sorts of birds, including humming birds and toucans in the garden, scarlet macaws flying by, agoutis making their way through the plants. We also went with Yami's sister as our guide on an outstanding whale watching trip.The food is excellent with breakfast and dinner included in the price and lunch offered for a very reasonable cost. The rooms are clean and comfortable. This is one of the best places we have ever stayed and it was somewhere we did not want to leave.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Duncan W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Puno, Peru
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Casa Horizontes is one of those rare finds that leads me to write this review. Imagine sipping your morning coffee in a wooden chair handmade by Pedro, (the entire house was built by Pedro with great skill in woodworking) watching Toucans and monkeys in the nearby trees, a spectacular ocean view and breeze. Delicious homemade dinners and breakfasts, comfort and relaxation, peacefulness. Staying with Yami and Pedro and their family will be an experience that will bring you back again and again. Yami can help you with all your questions, provide motherly advice on where to swim, help you with travel problems and fill your stomach with fine Tico food. When we went for the night tour with the bug lady Tracie, Pedro set out rubber boots for our family to wear. Spotlessly clean, safe, and authentic. We cannot wait to return. Thank you Yami and Pedro for such a wonderful stay and all your hospitality in your bed and breakfast (and dinner!).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janis S
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I went to Drake Bay earlier this month (July 2014) and decided to stay at Casa Horizontes. I was 5 (now almost 6) months pregnant at that time and the only downside about staying at this place was the hike up, but I did those hikes a number of times anyway when we stayed there and I was OK.

The view was amazing. That alone was worth the hike. We got to see the sea and the forest. Birds of all sorts were literally flying in front of or above us because we were at that height and the trees that surrounded Casa Horizontes were abundant and varied. They attracted animals of all sorts. Macaws and hummingbirds were daily sights. Toucans hung out by a nearby tree almost every day. Capuchin monkeys usually paid us a visit in the morning. Iguanas and butterflies were also part of our daily guests. I just loved sitting at the balcony with my delicious cup of Costa Rican coffee and just watched the birds.

We stayed there for four nights-five days. My husband went scuba diving at Cano Island and hiking at Corcovado National Park. I opted to not leave Drake Bay because doing so meant I had to take a boat and the sea was choppy and bumpy most of the time. It was really not recommended for me. Yami and Pedro really took care of me while I stayed behind at the house. Yami arranged a short hiking tour to the primary forest at Drake Bay with a really great guide and even asked Pedro to come pick me and another guest up at the end of the tour so we didn't have to walk all the way back to the house. Yami also made sure I had everything I needed and always checking up on how I was doing. It really meant a lot to me that she cared that much.

Breakfast and dinner were part of the price. They were always delicious. If you're doing tours then lunch is provided by the operator. Yami can prepare lunch if asked. I did it one time because I was too tired to hike down and up again to go to a nearby restaurant. She created a wonderful and delicious lunch for me for a really reasonable price. Most of the fruits and vegetables they served came from their own yard.

Pedro is also a very kind person. With very limited English, his weapon was his charming smile and kind eyes. He picked us up at the bottom of the hill to then drove us up to the house when we first arrived. He also took us to the airstrip when we had to fly back to San Jose. The beautiful Casa Horizontes is Pedro's work of art. He made everything himself: the house, the new balcony, and the furniture.

All and all staying at Casa Horizontes was an unforgettable experience. I felt the love Yami and Pedro for their guest house and for their guests. Everything was simple and easy. Just ask and they would try to cater your every need. Thank you, Yami and Pedro! I'll send you the baby pics once she's here. Oh, yes, it's a she! :)

Room Tip: The room at the top (Romantic Room) offers the best view but no private bathroom. So does the family...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andini H
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I cannot praise this place enough. For those who love nature, want to blend with local people, see wildlife it's hard to find a better place to stay.

The view from the house balcony is fantastic. The house is located on top of the hill right in the the primary forest, plus it has an ocean view as well. Right from the balcony you can see plenty of wildlife. Capuchin monkeys were visiting us every morning. We saw many hummingbirds, magnificent Toucans and Scarlet Macaws, as well as many other birds.

The rooms are very comfortable. I stayed in Toucan room, and highly recommend it. It has a good view, plus it has a private bathroom.

The owners, Pedro and Yami, are very kind and welcoming people, they are doing everything to make you comfortable. Yami speaks very good English. Elia, Yami's sister, is an excellent guide, I spent with her two days in Corcovado NP, in Sirena Ranger Station (highly recommend this trip).

The food was excellent, Pedro is a great cook.

We also had a free Wi-Fi, which worked pretty well.

The only challenge for some people might be climbing up the hill where the house is - this is a trade-off for the great view. But for absolute majority of people this is not a problem at all. Even for me this wasn't a big deal, and I'm by no means a good climber (I'm 55, have some extra weight and had a hip replacement surgery). And when I arrived by boat with the luggage, Pedro met me there and drove to the house, he also dropped me on my way back.

If I go to Drake Bay again, I'll definitely stay in Casa Horizontes again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter A
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a super good stay in Drake bay with Pedro & Yami in Casa Horizontes. With love and care prepared tasty local food for breakfast and dinner, a great view from the high terrace overlooking the bay. Maybe one of the best views in Drake Bay. Have seen Macaws, Tucans and Parrots flying flying over and passing us. At night great place to relax. Rooms are not big, but clean and have mosquito nets. Centrally with regards to the town, leaving point for tours. The boats arrive only 100m from Casa Horizontes.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a own bathroom. We had the Tucan room which had a small bathroom and nice view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 2 June 2014

First off, I think it's helpful to note that Casa Horizontes does imply a somewhat challenging 200m hike from the base of Drake Bay (challenging especially in the rain), but it is WELL worth it! Set on a hillside with views of the bay, fresh mangoes (in season) and lemons from the garden, beautiful wood detail that they take great pains to maintain in excellent condition, hot water in the showers, spacious rooms... it is clear that this place is very much their pride and joy. Although the house itself is wonderful, it is Yami and Pedro's hospitality that really sets this place apart. Just a few examples of how they went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and pleasant: my group and I (7 of us total) ended up renting out the entire place, including the kitchen, and they provided us with everything we needed (pots, pans, coffee filters, you name it). Although we were cooking for ourselves and not receiving meals, they still welcomed us with fresh fruits and juice when we first arrived and when we returned from our trek to Corcovado national park. Made the beds everyday. When they saw that we did not have rain boots for Corcovado, they brought out a big sack of extra boots for us to borrow during our two days in the park (by the way, in rainy season, these made a HUGE difference in the quality of the experience - hiking boots alone are insufficient unless you want to be soaking wet the whole time). By they way, Pedro and Yami also recommended Elia, Yami's sister, as a guide for the park, and I cannot recommend her more, whether or not you manage to stay at Casa Horizontes. Elia is amazing, so talented and good-sprited, she made our trip unforgettable. All in all, this was the perfect visit to Drake Bay!

Room Tip: The loft room does get pretty warm during the day, but it's adorable and the high-powered fan ta...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank julia c
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This place is amazingly connected with the beautiful nature surrounded by it. Located up on the hill between the jungle trees and pretty ocean view. The hospitality by Yami was beyond words, I was truly overwhelmed!
As a backpacker the price was a little high, but it worth every dime :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo