“Trust the place and the people here.”
Review of Cabinas Manolo

Cabinas Manolo
Ranked #6 of 19 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Trust the place and the people here.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was at Cabinas Manolo for five nights and I would totally recommend it to anyone looking for a nice stay in Drake bay. You can go for the cheaper option of a room with shared bathroom or a private room. I went for the latter and was completely satisfied with the services I received. Rosanna and Sergio who manage the place are two of the nicest people I met in the area, and they went out of their way to help with whatever I needed. Even the cleaning/restaurant staff is extremely friendly and trustworthy. I loved the cleanliness of the place, something I really value in a hotel. The location is great too, right at the heart of Drake bay town from where you can take all the tours offered in the area, and the hotel management can take care of managing the tours for you too which is great. You can definitely find cheaper options in the area as well, especially when it's the low season, and I made some friends who had gone for those options and were satisfied too, but if you have a budget that allows you to stay in Cabinas Manolo, I'd say I loved the place and the service I was extended, and I think you will too. If I had any problem, I could be sure that if I mentioned it to the management folks, they would try their best to take care of it for me, which is more than what you can ask for in most hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Cabinas Manolo is a good place to stay to visit this far away area of Costa Rica. The rooms are very clean and the shared bathrooms are very clean as well. The service is great, the food at the restaurant is very good and the best thing is that the price is very convenient. From there you can do many tours and also walk to Rio Claro reserve. It is a great place to experience wildlife.

Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 12 May 2014

A friend and I stayed a Manolo's for 4 nights and opted for the all inclusive package which included two full day tours (Corcovado and Diving at Isla Cano), meals and boarding.

The room itself was spotless, tastefully decorated and NOT HUMID. We had our own patio and hammock area shares withe the room next to us. The meals were delicious and the trips beautifully organised, save for our guide that was clearly suffering from a severe hungover which was actually quite funny.

We would highly recommend Cabinas Manolo, staying with Roxanna and Sergio was an absolute treat,both super friendly and happy to help us with all our queries to make our stay as pleasurable as possible. The place had a great ambiance and really embodied the PURA VIDA spirit.

Room Tip: A fan is more than enough, you do not need Aircon!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

San Isidro de El General, Costa Rica
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Cabinas Manolo is leased from the owners by an Italian person who is fantastic and very friendly. They have renovated and painted this place and it is quite nice looking, however, they did not pay attention to what is really important in an overnight stay. They had no mattress cover so the fitted sheet kept bunching up and would not stay on the mattress, so you ended up sleeping on the mattress itself. The mattress was medium quality. The towels were old and raggedy and there was no water pressure and it took forever to rinse off from your shower. Lumpy pillows.. The website makes it look a lot nicer than what it is in reality.The price should have alerted me. I would have gladly paid $20.00 more per night to have better linens and towels. Even though it was in the middle of town it was very quiet at night. No air circulation. Needed to use very noisy fan.. The breakfast was terrible and the staff in the restaurant looked put out because we were there. I had to get up twice to ask for the menu. We were all very disappointed. I have been all over Costa Rica over the last 14 years and, honestly, this was my first complaint.

1 Thank Tolomuco
Rosanna U, Gerente at Cabinas Manolo, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,

thanks for taking your time to write a review.

First of all, I would like to remark something very important to us:

1) as written in other reviews, we are always very attentive to any special need or request from our guests, which means that whenever a problem or complain arise during the stay, we are more than happy to sort it out immediately, offering the best solution possible HERE, not only the best answer possible on Tripadvisor.

2) we have been running this place since 8 months only, as you say we are improving the place step by step but not confusing the priorities. First we had to deal with more important issues on our priority list (definitively not painting),and we are now in process of making more improvements, not always compatible with high season, full occupancy and with the intrinsic difficulties of living in a remote place.

Given the above specifications, I honestly don't understand why you didn't express your discomfort directly to us, giving us the possibility to relocate you in a different room or to solve these big issues with the mattress cover, the pillow and an ordinary fan (we can't be responsible even for hot weather and, just to be precise, Drake Bay is always pretty fresh at night) while you were still here.

Most of the linen and towels have been bought in February, we wash them every day, that's the most important thing when you are paying a few dollars to sleep in a clean, remote place in the jungle where the quality of water is not ideal for washing and where no other shop than 2 supermarkets is available. So in order to get new stuff, you need at least 2 days off (1 day travelling). Even so, I would have been happy to help you, had you ever mentioned anything to us.

Regarding the restaurant:

- we serve 3 types of breakfast, the Continental, the Tico and the American in order to meet everybody's tastes and preferences. Bread is homemade, fresh fruit is served with Continental and American, scrambles or fried eggs are upon your choice, abundant coffee and tea is available, butter and marmelade have no special secrets to be revealed so, I would have really appreciated a more detailed description than "terrible breakfast" just to know hat we are "kindly" asked to improve according to you.

- We honestly never take into consideration reviews based on "impressions" (they looked like..., I heard...,it seemed.... etc.) especially when referring to people as nothing is more clarifying than speaking to each other, even in a different language. The staff in the restaurant is always helpful and accomodating, nobody has ever got bored about showing the menu when requested or, even worse, about having people there. If you had to ask twice, it is because they were busy, especially for breakfast in the morning. This is an easy-going place and if you expect a 5 stars service when paying a small amount of money, it's definitively not your place.
Our staff goes often beyond their job, working on special occasions desserts or offering special dishes and details.

Finally, I take this opportunity to exhort our guests, who really would like us to improve, to report their feedback openly to us instead of "writing a posteriori". We would be more than happy to share a coffee time to speak firendly about their suggestions or to read their evaluation on the Quality form available in the room and in the reception.
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We visited Drake Bay and Corcovado National park this past March 2014 and we used Cabinas Manolo as our base for the whole trip.

The place is neat and clean and the staff always attentive. They organized all our local tours and sure we were not disappointed.

The best part was to wake up to the macaws and lots of other birds singing.

The visit to Corcovado National Park was wonderful, as we had the chance to stay overnight at La Serena Ranger station...but the surroundings of the Cabinas Manolo were as beautiful...just short hikes around the hotel and we found beautiful beaches, lots of birds, specially red Macaws, everywhere...awesome.

The horseback adventure was just magical..!

This area of the country is for sure a must for people with adventurous blood..not for the "relax, cocktail in hand by the pool" kind of tourist. No swimming pools or "party" ambiance here..just Nature at its best.

The beaches are unspoiled and hardly you see people here...

Bring good hiking boots, sunscreen,bug spray and a decent hat and you are good to go.

Thanks to Cabinas Manolo for their constant attention. We will be back!

Room Tip: the rooms facing the open mountains were best...could see lots of birds from our hammocks.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ileana Z
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We booked a 4 night package at manolo (snorkeling at cano island, rainforest trip corcovado and horse riding). Already the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake was a fantastic experience (endless river and rainforest). We booked a room for 3 person (there was actually space for 5). It was clean and spacious. The beds are equipped with mosquito nets and in front of the room there is a small patio with hammocks. We booked full board, so all meals were included. Breakfast was really nice, made with love. We especially liked the pancakes. Every night they served a great dinner with fruit juice. The reception was very friendly and helpful. We liked all tours, the guides are good and we saw a lot of animals. The horse riding was great. We were riding in a river to the waterfall and then back to the beach. The horses are healthy and very calm. The main beach is very close downhill. There is another small beach (Playa Cocalito) even nicer, about 30min walk, where you can watch the sunset. I liked Manolo and Drake Bay a lot. Its a very calm place, friendly people, great beaches, great nature. It felt like in paradise!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Antje F
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We made reservations for Cabinas Manolo in September 2013 for our April 2014 stay and for our two-night guided trip to Corcovado National Park, all made directly through Cabinas Manolo. Initially our quote for the two night trip to Corcovado was $390 per person for two people, but the price went down to $335.00 per person when we changed the reservation to three people. Unbeknownst to us until the day prior to our departure for Corcovado was the fact that another couple were coming to Corcovado with us and would share our guide. We were initially told that they would be with us just for the day trip and that they would not be spending the night. Then at the orientation meeting a few hours later, we found out that they were coming for one overnight. While this couple were very fine companions for the trip, we were disturbed to find out about this arrangement. We discussed it with Cabinas Manolo management and explained that we thought we were having a private guide (this is the most commonplace situation for overnight trips based on my experience at Corcovado). The management did not apologize for adding more people to what we thought was "our trip". I mentioned to the management that the price per person went down when 3 people were in the group, so how much does it go down further if 5 people are on the trip. I was told that it does not go down. I asked if there is a limit to the number of people they send on an overnight trip and was told that 6 would be the limit. Word to the wise: If you want a private trip you should be forewarned to explicitly request and have confirmed in writing that you are expecting to have a private guide. As I mentioned the couple who joined us were fine people, but their presence did affect our two night trip in at least one important way. With a two night trip, you actually get one full day in Corcovado to be spent as you and the guide discuss. However as the other couple stayed only one night, we all had to adjust our itinerary and lunch to take them to the boat that was picking them up at 1:00pm, right in the middle of our full day in Corcovado. That was unsatisfactory in my opinion as we could have been on a different hike with our lunch in backpack rather than going back to the boat and waiting for more than hour while we ate lunch and waited for the boat to come pick them up. In other words, their return schedule dictated the plan of the day for all of us.

We had an excellent guide arranged through Cabinas Manolo, who was extremely knowledgable of the flora and fauna and was particularly keen on the birds. He had no say as to group size or what constituted a group. One other note: If you go on the Corcovado overnight, be sure to request bunk room accommodations at Sirena Ranger Station, which is what we had. You should not expect anything but the most basic accommodation which is fine as you will be in a remote outpost within Corcovado.

Despite the above, we would recommend Cabinas Manolo to other Drake Bay/Corcovado travelers, but be aware of what you are reserving and be explicit about your wishes. Stan

Room Tip: Room 3 is a nice room for families as it is divided into two room areas. Room 4 is even another v...
Rosanna U, Gerente at Cabinas Manolo, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Stan,

first of all we thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and for defining our place "a good place to stay".

Regarding the Overnight I feel sorry about your comments as we already discussed it during your stay and I already told you that this tour is not a private tour. The cost for a private tour would be much higher due to a private boat. There's no mention on having a private trip on our website either (http://www.cabinasmanolo.com/tours_en.htm ) . You thought it but you never actually paid for a private excursion.

I also would like to mention that your price was for 3days/2nights in Corcovado and that you were alone on the second and third day, thanks to our arrangements to have everybody happy in full high season.

So, I agree with you in exhorting people reading the review to be clear about their wishes during the booking process as we will be more than happy to arrange private or customized tours.