“Quaint place to stay”

Hotel Rancho Corcovado
Ranked #10 of 20 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I had picked this hotel not knowing anything about where I was going but for the tours. What a wonderful family that manage this hotel. I was treated as one of their own. The scheduled tours were right on time and magnificent. The food was excellent, fresh that was served. All of the people went out of their way to accomodate me. So friendly. The cabins are on a hill but my legs were never in better shape! The grounds/gardens are gorgeous. The rooms very comfortable, and the birds singing in the morning and at night, the sound of the surf and the tree frogs, well, I have never slept better. Cannot wait to go there again.
Bobbi D

Room Tip: The higher cabins have perfect view of the gardens. Quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank bobbi1653
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rancho Corcovado

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I really liked this place because it is a good place to swim. can drink coffee at any time of day. is a good place for children. ahh but not w-fi. although it may ask if you can use theirs. But ones you are in this Rancho you forget your techg
pleople are very friendly and helpful.
very clean . i only saw smilling facing .. muchas gracias Rancho corcovado ..tuve unas vacaciones sanas.

Room Tip: i stayed in number 7 but there is many that you can chooce from , depending on your buget .
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank galvezm39
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Beautiful beach location. Manager will help organise trips to national park or other activities. Rooms are extremely basic, but hygienic (except they don't clean in the corners), extremely friendly and helpful owners and personnel, no WIFI but the manager might let you use his LAN connection, or there are two nearby cafes with WIFI, beach was nice -- but they need more chairs. They serve excellent breakfast, lunch and dinner. Coffee and tea are available all day and cakes in the afternoon. (Make sure you like dogs, or can at least stomach them, if you book there.)

Room Tip: there are 2 rooms with A/C. It is worthwhile as it is extremely humid!
Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Christoph O
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Rancho Corcovado is a wonderful hotel right on the beach at Drake Bay. It is family owned and run. Mario, who originally established this hotel 19 years ago, personally greeted every guest with a warm handshake each time he saw them. I even got a hug the second day. His son, Javier, is the hardest working hotel manager that I've ever seen. They make you feel like part of the family.
My wife was a bit concerned when we first arrived on the boat from Sierpe. We got overheated waiting at the restaurant near the dock for the boat trip to the hotel, and did not cool off much during the trip on the boat. We went into our room - almost on the beach - and there was no air conditioning. Many of the rooms were up a hill – quite a climb – but guests who stayed in them told us of seeing many birds from their rooms. We saw some Scarlet Macaws right outside our room.
We lay down in the room - simple, but very clean and with all of the things we needed - and thought at first that 3 nights here might be unpleasant if we stayed that hot all the time. But there were two fans, one on the ceiling and one on the wall, and as we cooled off we learned that this was enough to keep us reasonably comfortable. We would have preferred curtains that provided a little more privacy, but this was not much of an issue because our windows were much higher than people walking by could see through for the most part.
The shower had an electric water heater that turned on as water went through it. This made us a little nervous, but we did not touch it except to turn it on during our first shower. A burned out light bulb was addressed very quickly. There was a small problem with the shower drain not being able to drain fast enough when water was run at maximum rate for several minutes. Again, this was not a big problem for us but made a little extra work for the maid.
The food was the best that we ate during our 18 day Costa Rica trip. It was simple, but there was always more than I could eat. My wife has an allergy to chiles/peppers. We told Mario when we first arrived, and the kitchen staff never forgot to prepare special meals for her without this allergen. Even for two of the lunches that we ate off site during tours.
Our package included two tours, one to Corcovado National Park and one to Cano Island. These were group tours that included 10 guests. I have a disability that requires me to move more slowly while walking and did not want to impede the others during the hike in Corcovado. I talked with Javier, and he said that because we had already paid for this tour with a group, he would get a private guide for us and only charge the additional cost. This honesty impressed me.
We left money as a tip for the maid each day in our room, but always found it left in place. We discovered during checkout, that they only accept tips placed in a box that is divided among all staff. This honesty by the maid also impressed us.
The tours were wonderful and guides were great. Our trip to Corcovado went to La Sirena, which is almost 4 times farther away than the San Pedrillo ranger station, but presents better opportunities to see wildlife. Our private guide, Esteban, wanted us to learn about the whole environment, and did an excellent job of doing this while moving slowly enough to make my disability a non-issue.
We saw 3 species of monkeys, including the endangered Squirrel Monkey. We also saw a Tamandua at close range and my wife got good pictures of all of these, with Esteban's help. Also saw lots of birds, insects, spiders, flowers, etc and my wife got great photos of these as well. This is a great trip that I recommend highly.
The other tour was a trip to Cano Island which is located several miles offshore from Drake Bay. During our trip, we saw 3 baby humpback whales, two of them with their mothers. Unfortunately, we did not see the breech. I snorkeled on the Pacific Ocean side of Cano Island along with most of those on this tour. The snorkeling equipment was provided, along with some basic instructions. Saw a sea turtle underwater as well as thousands of beautifully colored tropical fish. The water was quite clear and the currents minimal. We saw dolphins on our return trip, and stopped at a beautiful beach named Playa San Pedrito for a great lunch on the way back as well as some swimming.
I really recommend this hotel. People who have difficulties moving should know that boat landings at the hotel, as well as those at Corcovado and Cano Island are "wet" landings. There are no docks, and you must get of the boat into shallow water near the beach, sometimes while waves are moving the boat. The guides, staff, and other visitors were extremely helpful to me during these landings and departures, and though I fell in the water a couple of times, they were gentle falls and I was helped up quickly.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms close to the beach and they are literally a few steps away. The rest are up...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I cannot even begin to say enough great things about this place! Our room was less than 30 yards from an amazing beach. The rooms are very simple but VERY clean and provide you with the basics you need. The hotel is owned and operated by an incredible Costa Rican Family that makes you feel right at home. Roger the owner was super hospitable as was his brother Armando (who I might add has amazing stories to share). The property is centrally located and well kept. The food was great; Daisy and the crew do an incredible job in the kitchen. The staff is friendly and trustworthy. One of the best things about this place is it's location on Drake Bay and the fact that the family also owns and operates a boat (driven by Armando) that you can hire for tours to the Corcovado National Park. We WILL be back and I HIGHLY reccomend this place to anyone traveling looking for a great vacation!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The rooms are basic and quite a walk up the hill to our room...but we felt like we were on top of the world! Beautiful beach, great tours to Corcovado Park and Cano Island and terrific bird watching from our porch and the restaurant. I can't say enough good things about the staff....so warm, welcoming, and eager to please! We felt like part of the family by the time we left!

Room Tip: Top of the hill for a great view and birdwatching at sunrise!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We had a room that took a long climb to get to but worth the climb. We would sit outside our room and bird watch. Wonderful! We also loved being able to walk out of the restaurant and into the water. Food was good except the meats were overdone but there was so much of everything else, it did not matter. Rooms clean but simple. Manager very helpful to organize activities. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: Certainly worth the climb to get the rooms furthest up the hill.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family