“Well located and caring is all you need!”

and 1 more site!
Jade Mar Lodge Cabins
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The hotel was recommended by a European "backpacker" friend who is more comfortable with close accomodations and communal baths and cooking than I. The website did not give me the "visual" of the layout of the hotel nor a layout of the Drake Bay area, so I was pleased to find the hotel was one of the first entities when one arrives in the tiny but buzzing town of Aguillas 15 minutes from the airport on a paved road which wades two rivers enroute. I was given end-room #5 in a block of 5 rooms, all with A/C and an open air expanse of a bathroom the whole back width of the room, separated with double wide plastic shower curtain. The warm water was thoroughally adequate. There was a ledge and mirror for makeup, etc. Actually I couldn't figure out how to turn off the A/C till the second night and nearly froze. Several candles were left out on the night stand next to the one firm double bed, otherwise there was no other furniture, refrigerator or safe--or a blanket. The town has no bank or ATM so one has to approximate ahead and should sleep in one's money belt. Benches in front of the line of five units, with partial ocean view gave a communal "living room" feel to meet others, use WiFi, etc. The walls are thin, so be prepared for snoring and occasional wafts of cigarette smoke.

I felt very safe and cared for as their only solo female traveler. Backpackers stayed in another group of rooms with a kitchen and baths, and finally some individual bungalows farthest away down a cement block garden path. There is no restaurant or breakfast served, although at least 3 places are within the tiny town. The owner, Johnny more than made up for any inconveniences due to the basic nature of the hotel. He met me when the taxi arrived and seemed to be circulating the property, watching and available constantly. Aware of the acivities I had booked through Sol de Osa, he would would come at just the right moment each morning and hand me a Post-it note with the name of the person I would be meeting, where to meet and the time. He pointed out and showed me now to listen for trogans, parrots, and macaws. He let me use the internet in the office and stored my bags in a backroom, and even lent me a corkscrew, which I ended up breaking off in the cork. He could not have been more eager to help, any hour of day or night that he was inevitably there.

Though not as remote or romantic or, frankly beautiful or flora filled as the lodges down the beach or on the cliffs, I personally liked the location better as there were two pulperias to buy groceries, liquor, and incidentals, several restaurants for breakfast and dinner--including one with HUGE portions of just-caught fish and vegetables, a most welcomed milkshake stand, all within steps of the hotel. Boats to Cano Island, Sirena Ranger Station, and the Sierpe River leave from just down the hill at the mud colored and not very appealing waters of the crescent beach, where I only saw locals swimming and fishing. It is not known for any surfing, and most swimming is done in more remote coves to the south. Besides the few in Aguillas, other hotels are reached by water-landikng, or a trek along an ocean-view cliff path, crossing small waterways. Once the paved road and beach-walking end, and one must cut up into the woods to get to all the rest of the more southern hotels. Going to dinner other than in Aguillas means a headlamp and cliff walk, so I was glad for the options close to the hotel. For me, this budget option had just the things that were true and important and none of the rest.

Room Tip: Room 5 was on the far end with side windows. Others do not have to walk by your unit.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MaryJanePiazza

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Johnny is the most amazing host I had in all the places I stayed in Costa Rica. He really cares for his guests and somehow remembered what I was doing each day. He helped in booking tours and recommended nice walks.

The cabinas were really lovely and great value for money. My friend and I had a room with our own bathroom. The room was basic (no cupboards) but had a very comfortable bed, was quite spacious and had an air-conditioner. The shower had nice warm water. The rooms were cleaned every day and were spotless. The communal kitchen was well equipped, clean and it was absolutely lovely sitting on the balcony, sipping tea and watching the colourful birds come and eat the fresh fruit Johnny left out for them (I was kind of envious!). Speaking of the birds, they are quite loud so if you are someone who likes to sleep past 5.30am in the morning I suggest using earplugs. I recommend sleeping early and waking up early though as there is plenty to do in Drake Bay!

Cabinas Jade Mar is in a great location. It's less than a minute walk to the 2 supermarkets, there are lots of nice eateries and bars nearby and the beach is 5mins away. I will definitely be staying here again when I next go to Drake Bay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

As soon as we stepped off our boat ride, we were welcomed by the owner of Jade Mar, Jonny. We greeted us with a smile and welcomed us and took us to the hotel. We immediately felt welcomed, comfortable and fit in. Jonny was always there to help us with questions about the area or to coordinate a taxi, tour, laundry services.

Our hotel room was perfect for us. It was clean, but simple. The outdoor tropical landscaping was gorgeous on the property full of exotic birds, and some animals with a great view of the town and the bay. The location of the property is great too as it is on the edge of town and close to restaurants, the super market and the beach. The price for the hotel was inexpensive, the beds were comfortable and we had air conditioning. I can't say enough about this place. I would come back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: They do have several options - rooms with shower and bathroom, rooms with shared bathrooms, and bung...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leora G
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. We really felt appreciated. The kitchen is well equipped and clean. Rooms were very clean and comfy with candels and flowers (atleast in the ones with own bathroom). The garden is swarming with wildlife and have the most amazing view. Perfect place for a good book in a hammock. You never want to leave.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henrik L
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Jade Mar. Johnny and Grethel are warm hosts and I really felt welcome. I had a great view, the room was very clean, as were the bathrooms. They have a kitchen with a fridge so you can prepare your meals there. Great wifi too.

The one thing I didn't like was that my room did not have a closed window and since it was close to the kitchen I could hear everything, which can be annoying in a place where people get up at 5. But still, great value for your money!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LisanneDG
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Drake Bay is gorgeous and Cabinas Jade Mar is the perfect place to stay! Rooms are super clean, the view from the patio is amazing, there is even a small kitchen were you can cook your own food, and the hosts are lovely!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Because of this nice hostal we lengthened our stay at Drake Bay. It's located really near to the town's markets. It's run by a nice family who were very helpful. We stayed at the block with shared bathrooms and a real nice common area with a kitchen and a nice sea view. They're putting fruits for the birds there and also a Tukan is really often comes along, some people are going on search in the forests for this and there it is right for your nose!! Perfect place to cool out and enjoy the good things in Bahia Drake.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple