The hotel was recommended by a European "backpacker" friend who is more comfortable with close accomodations and communal baths and cooking than I. The website did not give me the "visual" of the layout of the hotel nor a layout of the Drake Bay area, so I was pleased to find the hotel was one of the first entities when one arrives in the tiny but buzzing town of Aguillas 15 minutes from the airport on a paved road which wades two rivers enroute. I was given end-room #5 in a block of 5 rooms, all with A/C and an open air expanse of a bathroom the whole back width of the room, separated with double wide plastic shower curtain. The warm water was thoroughally adequate. There was a ledge and mirror for makeup, etc. Actually I couldn't figure out how to turn off the A/C till the second night and nearly froze. Several candles were left out on the night stand next to the one firm double bed, otherwise there was no other furniture, refrigerator or safe--or a blanket. The town has no bank or ATM so one has to approximate ahead and should sleep in one's money belt. Benches in front of the line of five units, with partial ocean view gave a communal "living room" feel to meet others, use WiFi, etc. The walls are thin, so be prepared for snoring and occasional wafts of cigarette smoke.
I felt very safe and cared for as their only solo female traveler. Backpackers stayed in another group of rooms with a kitchen and baths, and finally some individual bungalows farthest away down a cement block garden path. There is no restaurant or breakfast served, although at least 3 places are within the tiny town. The owner, Johnny more than made up for any inconveniences due to the basic nature of the hotel. He met me when the taxi arrived and seemed to be circulating the property, watching and available constantly. Aware of the acivities I had booked through Sol de Osa, he would would come at just the right moment each morning and hand me a Post-it note with the name of the person I would be meeting, where to meet and the time. He pointed out and showed me now to listen for trogans, parrots, and macaws. He let me use the internet in the office and stored my bags in a backroom, and even lent me a corkscrew, which I ended up breaking off in the cork. He could not have been more eager to help, any hour of day or night that he was inevitably there.
Though not as remote or romantic or, frankly beautiful or flora filled as the lodges down the beach or on the cliffs, I personally liked the location better as there were two pulperias to buy groceries, liquor, and incidentals, several restaurants for breakfast and dinner--including one with HUGE portions of just-caught fish and vegetables, a most welcomed milkshake stand, all within steps of the hotel. Boats to Cano Island, Sirena Ranger Station, and the Sierpe River leave from just down the hill at the mud colored and not very appealing waters of the crescent beach, where I only saw locals swimming and fishing. It is not known for any surfing, and most swimming is done in more remote coves to the south. Besides the few in Aguillas, other hotels are reached by water-landikng, or a trek along an ocean-view cliff path, crossing small waterways. Once the paved road and beach-walking end, and one must cut up into the woods to get to all the rest of the more southern hotels. Going to dinner other than in Aguillas means a headlamp and cliff walk, so I was glad for the options close to the hotel. For me, this budget option had just the things that were true and important and none of the rest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cabinas Jade Mar is located in Southern Pacific Costa Rica on the Osa Peninsula, perfectly situated in Drake Bay and near the Corcovado National Park in an area of Agujitas. This area of the Osa Peninsula is accessible by boat and car 4*4 and is one of album-tucanthe most remote and untouched places on Costa Rica's entire Pacific coastline. Our Drake Bay accommodations is 5 min walking to the ocean, immersed in the rainforest for an experience you won't forget. During your stay, you will explore endless small coves and beaches, fresh-water lagoons, and miles of hiking trails that wind through the rainforest make this the perfect spot to simply relax all day or embark on an eco-adventure experience second to none.Or only sit on our garden and take pictures of all the beautiful birds around the hotel. Room Air Condition Private Cabanas Ocean View Cabanas Family Cabanas Free WIFI Free Parking Friendly Pet ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and Booking.com so you can book your Jade Mar Lodge Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cabinas Jade Mar Hotel Drake Bay
- Jade Mar Lodge Cabins Costa Rica/Drake Bay