“Amazing hospitality and great location”
Review of Jademar Cabins

and 1 more site!
Jademar Cabins
Washington DC
“Amazing hospitality and great location”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We spent a total of 3 nights here. After one night we did a 3 day/ 2 night trip in Corcovado National Park. Johnny let us keep our bags secure with him while we were gone.
Johnny and his family are very welcoming and friendly! The common areas were cleaned very well each day. We stayed in a private room without AC but the 2 fans in the room were sufficient. Location is right in the center of town with some great views of the bay. Laundry service was top notch. At the end of the trip Johnny even drove us all down to the beach to catch the boat to Sierpe in his new truck. Also Internet connection was very fast and reliable for the duration of the time I was there. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank alwaysReady2Fly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at Jade Mar for a week, Johnny helped me with my excursions and recommended day hikes and things to do. I stayed in a cabin with an ocean view and private bathroom. The cabin was comfortable, clean and peaceful. There are lots of beautiful birds to watch in the gardens. It's about a 5 min walk down to the bay and restaurants are super close.
Hikes from Drake Bay are amazing, walking on a jungle trail over suspension bridges and creeks to find a beautiful private cove around each corner.
In drake I went on a night hike to see frogs, my guide was great and we found lots of frogs and bugs.
From Drake I did a great kayak tour of the Mangrove forests, snorkeling and a hike in Corcovado national Park.
I really enjoyed my stay here, the cabins, Johnny and his wife, the excursions and the peaceful coves. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Cabins are more private, there is no ac but I didn't need it, with a fan and sea breeze it was f...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Teri M
Richmond, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The hotel was recommended by a European "backpacker" friend who is more comfortable with close accomodations and communal baths and cooking than I. The website did not give me the "visual" of the layout of the hotel nor a layout of the Drake Bay area, so I was pleased to find the hotel was one of the first entities when one arrives in the tiny but buzzing town of Aguillas 15 minutes from the airport on a paved road which wades two rivers enroute. I was given end-room #5 in a block of 5 rooms, all with A/C and an open air expanse of a bathroom the whole back width of the room, separated with double wide plastic shower curtain. The warm water was thoroughally adequate. There was a ledge and mirror for makeup, etc. Actually I couldn't figure out how to turn off the A/C till the second night and nearly froze. Several candles were left out on the night stand next to the one firm double bed, otherwise there was no other furniture, refrigerator or safe--or a blanket. The town has no bank or ATM so one has to approximate ahead and should sleep in one's money belt. Benches in front of the line of five units, with partial ocean view gave a communal "living room" feel to meet others, use WiFi, etc. The walls are thin, so be prepared for snoring and occasional wafts of cigarette smoke.

I felt very safe and cared for as their only solo female traveler. Backpackers stayed in another group of rooms with a kitchen and baths, and finally some individual bungalows farthest away down a cement block garden path. There is no restaurant or breakfast served, although at least 3 places are within the tiny town. The owner, Johnny more than made up for any inconveniences due to the basic nature of the hotel. He met me when the taxi arrived and seemed to be circulating the property, watching and available constantly. Aware of the acivities I had booked through Sol de Osa, he would would come at just the right moment each morning and hand me a Post-it note with the name of the person I would be meeting, where to meet and the time. He pointed out and showed me now to listen for trogans, parrots, and macaws. He let me use the internet in the office and stored my bags in a backroom, and even lent me a corkscrew, which I ended up breaking off in the cork. He could not have been more eager to help, any hour of day or night that he was inevitably there.

Though not as remote or romantic or, frankly beautiful or flora filled as the lodges down the beach or on the cliffs, I personally liked the location better as there were two pulperias to buy groceries, liquor, and incidentals, several restaurants for breakfast and dinner--including one with HUGE portions of just-caught fish and vegetables, a most welcomed milkshake stand, all within steps of the hotel. Boats to Cano Island, Sirena Ranger Station, and the Sierpe River leave from just down the hill at the mud colored and not very appealing waters of the crescent beach, where I only saw locals swimming and fishing. It is not known for any surfing, and most swimming is done in more remote coves to the south. Besides the few in Aguillas, other hotels are reached by water-landikng, or a trek along an ocean-view cliff path, crossing small waterways. Once the paved road and beach-walking end, and one must cut up into the woods to get to all the rest of the more southern hotels. Going to dinner other than in Aguillas means a headlamp and cliff walk, so I was glad for the options close to the hotel. For me, this budget option had just the things that were true and important and none of the rest.

Room Tip: Room 5 was on the far end with side windows. Others do not have to walk by your unit.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MaryJanePiazza
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Johnny is the most amazing host I had in all the places I stayed in Costa Rica. He really cares for his guests and somehow remembered what I was doing each day. He helped in booking tours and recommended nice walks.

The cabinas were really lovely and great value for money. My friend and I had a room with our own bathroom. The room was basic (no cupboards) but had a very comfortable bed, was quite spacious and had an air-conditioner. The shower had nice warm water. The rooms were cleaned every day and were spotless. The communal kitchen was well equipped, clean and it was absolutely lovely sitting on the balcony, sipping tea and watching the colourful birds come and eat the fresh fruit Johnny left out for them (I was kind of envious!). Speaking of the birds, they are quite loud so if you are someone who likes to sleep past 5.30am in the morning I suggest using earplugs. I recommend sleeping early and waking up early though as there is plenty to do in Drake Bay!

Cabinas Jade Mar is in a great location. It's less than a minute walk to the 2 supermarkets, there are lots of nice eateries and bars nearby and the beach is 5mins away. I will definitely be staying here again when I next go to Drake Bay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Evansville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 March 2014

As soon as we stepped off our boat ride, we were welcomed by the owner of Jade Mar, Jonny. We greeted us with a smile and welcomed us and took us to the hotel. We immediately felt welcomed, comfortable and fit in. Jonny was always there to help us with questions about the area or to coordinate a taxi, tour, laundry services.

Our hotel room was perfect for us. It was clean, but simple. The outdoor tropical landscaping was gorgeous on the property full of exotic birds, and some animals with a great view of the town and the bay. The location of the property is great too as it is on the edge of town and close to restaurants, the super market and the beach. The price for the hotel was inexpensive, the beds were comfortable and we had air conditioning. I can't say enough about this place. I would come back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: They do have several options - rooms with shower and bathroom, rooms with shared bathrooms, and bung...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leora G
Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. We really felt appreciated. The kitchen is well equipped and clean. Rooms were very clean and comfy with candels and flowers (atleast in the ones with own bathroom). The garden is swarming with wildlife and have the most amazing view. Perfect place for a good book in a hammock. You never want to leave.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Henrik L
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at Jade Mar. Johnny and Grethel are warm hosts and I really felt welcome. I had a great view, the room was very clean, as were the bathrooms. They have a kitchen with a fridge so you can prepare your meals there. Great wifi too.

The one thing I didn't like was that my room did not have a closed window and since it was close to the kitchen I could hear everything, which can be annoying in a place where people get up at 5. But still, great value for your money!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
#2 of 18 in Drake Bay
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Jademar Cabins? Share your experiences!