“Very good!”

Ranked #7 of 20 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
“Very good!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Nice place to stay in Drake! Lovely wooden cabanas up on a hill with lots of birds etc.
Tours can be booked here; definitly do the corcovado & cano tour!! The owners do everything to make your stay perfect! She cookes really nice aswell!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
Reviewed 12 July 2013

getting to drakes bay was difficult but the owner Felix here personally gave us a ride. the cabin where we stay was rustic and beautiful. the view we had of drakes bay was picture perfect. no tv but no need with that view. food will be prepared upon request by felix's wife monica and breakfast is included. everything we ate here was presented well and was plentiful and was delicious. we ate in other places but nothing compared to the home cooking and the view. we were treated like family and every little request we had was fulfilled..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Constantia, South Africa
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is a charming place to stay and basic but comfortable for the price. Felix and Monica are absolutely charming hosts. She cooks fantastic fish and Felix is a knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide. We stayed here for 4 nights and used Felix's guiding services in Corcavado national park which he knows intimately.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Palmer,AK
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Ranchitos Las Cotingas is a lovely hotel in Drake Bay run by Felix and his wife. We stayed for 3 nights. Our cabina had an amazing view of the beach. They have hot water, free wifi and the best dinner I´ve had at a hotel and definitely better than some of the resturants in Drake. For two of our days we paid for breakfast and dinner included in our room rate. They cook pretty much whatever you want, typical tico food, eggs and toast just ask. Dinner was a 3 course meal with generous servings the flan is fantastic. Oh, we also had fresh towels everyday without asking which is amazing. Bed was super comfortable, nice sheets, and the ceiling fan was heavenly for those HOT Drake Bay nights. An absolute authentic Costa Rican experience and I love that the hotel is run by a local couple. Felix speaks wonderful English and can help arrange tours, transportation, whatever you need. Pura Vida
Nicole and RJ Kelso June 2013

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissPerkyAK
Oberursel (Taunus), Germany
Reviewed 20 May 2013

we had a wonderful time at las cotingas, including a private trip to a secluded beach at sunset, guided by felix. a lot of stories and history from a knowledgable ex-park-ranger! beautiful views from the terrace/dining deck, whether relaxing in the hammock or having home-cooked meals by monica. the hosts also arranged a snorkling and diving tour with local tour operators: both excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2013

When I decided to go to,drake,bay, I was told by this swiss couple of one hostel. I wont say the name as everyone´s experience is different. I was unhappy and the room gave me the creeps. At the ecouragement of kevin the supermercado's employee, I moved to las continguas. What a difference!!! night and day. Las continguas is like a postcard. View of ocean is like a dream, and their gardinias are beautiful. the room was cozy and stylish. and CLEAN. from felix and monica (the owners) to their two cute nice dogs, everyone was very nice and accomodating. Felix arranged a horseback riding trip with marvin. He took me to a waterfall where I swam. If you choose to, Monica would cook you all the three meals. the whole village of drake bay is accomodating. Maikol is a young man who is eager with whatever you need. He helped with my internet inquiries. everyone who made it there, were surprised that there were not enough reviews on it. Felix also arranged a corcovado tour with carlos who showed us around and pointed out animals and birds. My only,complaint,was that,it was a little,pricey, otherwise carlos was wonderful. He walked the whole time barefeet which reinforces the fact that he lived in the park for a while. i cant admire him enough for it. He filmed me eating termites which tasted minty and barky. i learned later from others that we saw more animals with carlos than they did with their guide. this shows that carlos is a good guide. i personally liked him, i just wish it wasnt as pricey. when my snorkeling trip was cancelled, I practiced yoga on the wooden balcony facing the ocean and laid in the hammok lazily. It was truly peaceful. During my stay, I met many people. Everyone knows me as ana or imane "magnetismo". I had fun talking to everyone. If my friends in the states ask about a place to stay in drake bay, I would, hands down, recommend "las cotingas".

I have two advice: most places take credit cards, but bring some cash as the nearest atm is at 3 hours away, and dont expect to see every animal you read about in the guide, during the corcovado visit.

Room Tip: any room will do. they are all great.