“Hidden gem in Drake Bay”

Ranchitos Las Cotingas
Ranked #7 of 20 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2013

SUMMARY
Cotingas is a very good deal, if you don't need a high end place. if you don't mind the evening town noise of the occassional motorcycle and music, the view here makes this an amazing location. The owners are good people and the food is tasty. Breakfast is included, and you can buy dinner for a very reasonable price, so you get flexibility to eat elsewhere, and also to not pay for lunches you might not be around to enjoy.

I looked into staying at Aguila de Osa but just couldn't justify spending 5x the money to do so. My sense is that our room would have been a bit nicer (although still without AC, not that we needed it), and the facilities a bit nicer, but I don't know that the food would be *that* much better. Also we wouldn't have had nearly as good a view, although it would have been quieter at night.

GETTING THERE
We decided to fly from San Jose directly to Drake. I dithered between Nature Air and Sansa, until reading on the Nature Air website that Sansa's business strategy includes publishing a lot of flights and then cancelling the ones that aren't full enough for their liking. The Nature Air flight was great. That airport sense to mostly be used by them, with maybe one charter company.

The other option is to take the boat from Sierpe, but I was concerned about rain, waves, etc. In terms of the river mouth being dangerous, the folks here said that the boats these days are very powerful, and so they are able to manuever effectively through the waves. They also said the accident that happened a while ago was in a heavy wooden boat with a weaker motor. So the sense was that it's fine now.

LOCATION
* The view here is unparalleled. Looking around, we're at the top of the hill, and I don't see any properties around that are this high up.
* It's just 3 minutes to the beach.
* It's about 5 minutes to the "town" which means 2 general stores and a smattering of restaurants. Other than Curt's, the food at the restaurants tends to be fairly similar. A typical dinner cost us about $10 per person with juice.

There are many steps to get up to the property, but once you're up it's relatively flat. There is one room which is a second floor room.

Being close to town is nice in the sense that you can go other places to eat, and you can readily go to one of the two stores if you need something. The downside is that it's louder at night in terms of music and motorcycles. It wasn't oppressive but it was there. If you want a "middle of the forest" experience then it's not going to be close to town.

On the property here we saw a few birds, including a hummingbird, but not a ton of birds. Once in a while a squacking Macaw flew by, but it was so quick that it was easy to miss.

We took a hike on the trail to Cocalito beach (30 minute walk?) and saw Capuchin monkeys sparring with a wayward spider monkey, as well as a Tucan. There were probably a lot of other birds to see but you've got to know how to notice them--sounds as well as tree movements are a good start.

THE PEOPLE
Felix and Monica are really good people. Monica made great food for us, and was always very kind. Felix knows the tours and town inside out, and is well organized. He can make things happen for you. I felt zero pressure regarding tours; it was all about what we wanted to do. He also got us good pricing.

GENERAL AMENITIES
* Wifi: password protected wifi, which worked fine in our rooms, even for my phone which tends to only work with strong signals. sometimes they turn off the router, so if it's off you just need to ask them to turn it on. The speed was decent for general browsing.

* Covered eating area: great view of the bay. Also has a hammock.

* Beautiful native plants in the landscaping.

* In terms of payment, you can pay credit card, cash (American dollars) and it looks like Paypal for the deposit.

ROOM CHOICE
The two front cabins, Aracari and Jacobin, are spectacular. You can't go wrong with either one. Guacamaya is on the second level, above ??, has a safe, a hammock, and a great view--also a good choice. The other rooms are lacking one thing or another but would be fine as well. Remember as well that you can hang out in the common area in the middle, where there's a hammock, along with tables and chairs, and the amazing view.

Here is commentary on a few of the rooms:

Aracaci: unbroken view of the bay. further from the neighbors. Hammock on balcony.

Jacobin : wide view of bay, albeit with a tree partly in front. The tree adds interest; I personally like it. Next to the neighbors who have kids so you'll hear them sometimes.

Guacayama: second floor, has hammock.

ROOM AMENITIES
A safe with a detachable key lock. Not the sturdiest in the world but probably good enough.

Hot water, provided through the showerhead. So rather than being controlled by the hot and cold faucets, it's at the top. It has 3 settings, ambient temperature, half-warmed, and fully warmed. It can get decently hot if you want.

A fan.

Fully screened windows

Mosquitos weren't a big problem for us, although we got a few bites here

FOOD IN DRAKE
We found Monica's cooking to be the best we had. We went to a number of restaurants and had fish, and in general they were decent. Monica's was tastier than anywhere we went. We just needed to give her some advance notice that we wanted dinner there.

Gringo Curts was fantastic.

The restaurant next to the older general store, which also bakes bread, had better than average food. They also had a wider range of fruit juices.

The best mango juice we had was at Cabinas Manolo.

GENERAL STORES IN DRAKE
The 2 stores really don't have a lot in them, so bring whatever equipment you'll need. Good sunscreen is pricing ($15 to $20) so bring more than you think you'll need.
I would recommend bringing a plastic rain poncho; they sold kids ones here but I didn't see adult ones. I saw about 5 pairs of rubber boots; may not have your size!

They do sell water in various sizes, including a 6 liter.

Room Tip: The two front cabins, Aracari and Jacobin, are spectacular. You can't go wrong with either one...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank paulkon
There are newer reviews for Ranchitos Las Cotingas

Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Nice place to stay in Drake! Lovely wooden cabanas up on a hill with lots of birds etc.
Tours can be booked here; definitly do the corcovado & cano tour!! The owners do everything to make your stay perfect! She cookes really nice aswell!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 12 July 2013

getting to drakes bay was difficult but the owner Felix here personally gave us a ride. the cabin where we stay was rustic and beautiful. the view we had of drakes bay was picture perfect. no tv but no need with that view. food will be prepared upon request by felix's wife monica and breakfast is included. everything we ate here was presented well and was plentiful and was delicious. we ate in other places but nothing compared to the home cooking and the view. we were treated like family and every little request we had was fulfilled..

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is a charming place to stay and basic but comfortable for the price. Felix and Monica are absolutely charming hosts. She cooks fantastic fish and Felix is a knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide. We stayed here for 4 nights and used Felix's guiding services in Corcavado national park which he knows intimately.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Ranchitos Las Cotingas is a lovely hotel in Drake Bay run by Felix and his wife. We stayed for 3 nights. Our cabina had an amazing view of the beach. They have hot water, free wifi and the best dinner I´ve had at a hotel and definitely better than some of the resturants in Drake. For two of our days we paid for breakfast and dinner included in our room rate. They cook pretty much whatever you want, typical tico food, eggs and toast just ask. Dinner was a 3 course meal with generous servings the flan is fantastic. Oh, we also had fresh towels everyday without asking which is amazing. Bed was super comfortable, nice sheets, and the ceiling fan was heavenly for those HOT Drake Bay nights. An absolute authentic Costa Rican experience and I love that the hotel is run by a local couple. Felix speaks wonderful English and can help arrange tours, transportation, whatever you need. Pura Vida
Nicole and RJ Kelso June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissPerkyAK
Reviewed 20 May 2013

we had a wonderful time at las cotingas, including a private trip to a secluded beach at sunset, guided by felix. a lot of stories and history from a knowledgable ex-park-ranger! beautiful views from the terrace/dining deck, whether relaxing in the hammock or having home-cooked meals by monica. the hosts also arranged a snorkling and diving tour with local tour operators: both excellent.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2013

When I decided to go to,drake,bay, I was told by this swiss couple of one hostel. I wont say the name as everyone´s experience is different. I was unhappy and the room gave me the creeps. At the ecouragement of kevin the supermercado's employee, I moved to las continguas. What a difference!!! night and day. Las continguas is like a postcard. View of ocean is like a dream, and their gardinias are beautiful. the room was cozy and stylish. and CLEAN. from felix and monica (the owners) to their two cute nice dogs, everyone was very nice and accomodating. Felix arranged a horseback riding trip with marvin. He took me to a waterfall where I swam. If you choose to, Monica would cook you all the three meals. the whole village of drake bay is accomodating. Maikol is a young man who is eager with whatever you need. He helped with my internet inquiries. everyone who made it there, were surprised that there were not enough reviews on it. Felix also arranged a corcovado tour with carlos who showed us around and pointed out animals and birds. My only,complaint,was that,it was a little,pricey, otherwise carlos was wonderful. He walked the whole time barefeet which reinforces the fact that he lived in the park for a while. i cant admire him enough for it. He filmed me eating termites which tasted minty and barky. i learned later from others that we saw more animals with carlos than they did with their guide. this shows that carlos is a good guide. i personally liked him, i just wish it wasnt as pricey. when my snorkeling trip was cancelled, I practiced yoga on the wooden balcony facing the ocean and laid in the hammok lazily. It was truly peaceful. During my stay, I met many people. Everyone knows me as ana or imane "magnetismo". I had fun talking to everyone. If my friends in the states ask about a place to stay in drake bay, I would, hands down, recommend "las cotingas".

I have two advice: most places take credit cards, but bring some cash as the nearest atm is at 3 hours away, and dont expect to see every animal you read about in the guide, during the corcovado visit.

Room Tip: any room will do. they are all great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo