“Fantastic tour”

The Night Tour with Tracie The Bug Lady
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Four of us took this tour our first night in Drake Bay, and it was just fantastic. Tracie is mesmerizing. The night was capped off when Gian found a velvet worm, which is unbelievably rare. Top notch. Tracie and Gian even send you a pdf file of everything you saw on your tour with pictures and links.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Went for the night tour a little bit disappointed after a day tour without seeing too much. BUT, during the first minute of the 2h30 tour, I understood, that for seing something you need to have exercised eyes. I have seen insects without thinking they were there. Hidden frogs, sleeping birds, and butterflies, a complete different world. Tracy opened my eyes, and I would love to return to explore. She has a lot of knowledge and share it with us. You can fell the passion she has.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

and she meant it...we were mesmerized....upon closer scrutiny, Tracy found and teased out all manner of creatures... lifting hidden trap doors, peering under rocks... all within easy walking distance of the Drake Bay Wilderness Resort. Tracy spins stories in a magic way guaranteed to have everyone hanging on her words, devouring her stories and volunteering to hold giant whip arachnids. Tracy is a scholar

Reviewed 7 February 2014

My family- husband, 11 and 8yr. old came back from our Sirena trip (which gave us amazing animal encounters), and then participated in this tour the next night. We have experienced many types of tours in many different parts of the world, but this tour was simply one of the best we have ever taken. Tracie is a master guide- not only in her knowledge of bugs and the night animals, but because she was able to weave really interesting stories of each of the creatures we saw. This really made the tour so meaningful- my kids were COMPLETELY entranced with her stories.
We had a small international group- about 8, which was very manageable.
Tracie's partner, Gianfranco, was another guide and they would piggy-back off of each other. While one guide was telling us about an animal, the other would be looking for the next creature- I thought that was a really efficient way of keeping us interested.
The tour lasted about 2 hours and had minimal walking- I think rubber rain boots would have been the best footwear. Leave the sandals because there are lots of ants on the ground. Tennis shoes are ok, but our walk to the meeting spot required us to go through some wet areas.
The Tour followed up with a really nice report about the evening conditions and information about all the creatures we encountered that night- you have to email them for it, but it was a really nice touch.

2  Thank Cyndi-Ryan
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was skeptical when my wife told me we were going to look at bugs in the jungle at night. My skepticism was quickly cleared up by the professionalism and enthusiasm of Tracie and Gian. They run an amazing tour and are incredibly knowledgeable about anything and everything that crawls in the night. We saw some phenomenal stuff, and they are great at explaining how all this life on the micro level connects to life on the macro level. Amazing. And then, they are happy to send you an email of what you saw on your particular tour. You've got to do it, kids and all.