“Great deal for budget travellers”

Martina's Place Hostel
Ranked #3 of 18 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Great deal for budget travellers”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I was looking to visit Drake Bay in order to travel to Corcovado. Martina was very helpful even before I got there she pre-booked the day trips for me and my friend (Corcovado, Cano Island, Rio Claro). Martina's house was a great place to meet other travelers and relax. The staff was absolutely wonderful (Thanks Mike and Angelica for taking us swimming in the beautiful river!) and the kitchen was great for cooking. I would highly recommend Marina's place to other travelers.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Hola guapa! Thank you so much for your response and it was great having you girls here- almost like family :-) I will say hello to Mike and Angelica. Take care, Martina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My girlfriend and stayed at Martina's Place last week, and we loved it! Martina was extraordinarily helpful from booking the hotel, to helping to book and schedule all the tours and hikes, to recommending and describing the local restaurants, all through helping us communicate with the next hotel about arranging an airport taxi. We stayed in room #1, which has it's own bath (for warmer water in the shower, turn down the water pressure, it definitely got hot enough for it being 90 degrees outside ;) ), and is set off to the side of the building, so had lots of windows and was fairly private. No AC, but we were down there to get out of the New England cold, so we didn't mind a bit (plus the ceiling fan helped a lot). Great location, up the hill from the beach, and around the corner from the 2 supermarkets + restaurants. Nice to have a kitchen for breakfast & coffee before heading out for the day. All in all, couldn't be happier with our stay. Thanks, Martina!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #1, which has it's own bath (for warmer water in the shower, turn down the wat...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Hi Greg, thanks for your wonderful review, it was definitely a pleasure having you guys here in my little hotel.
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This is a great place to stay while exploring Drake Bay. We loved the kitchen and cooked many interesting meals. It was nice to be able to help ourselves to coffee or tea. The hotel is situated close to grocery stores and restaurants as well as nice routes for hiking and walking. The owner and the people who work at Martina's Place are very nice. We enjoyed our stay and look forward to another visit.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Hello Kayla, thank you so much for your review- nobody ever cooked that much in our kitchen as you did :-) and I am happy you liked it...I enjoyed our hike in Progresso with Carlos and all those big trees... May be you guys make it back to Drake one day :-) Martina
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 December 2012

When I was in Santa Teresa my wallet was stolen so I was in need of a place to stay on a budget and Martina was gracious enough to let me stay at her place and even pay via paypal.

She also suggested a great hike and set me up with an awesome tour of Corcovado.

I also very much enjoyed the traditional food that is served in her kitchen.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael G
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Hi Michael, thank you so much for your review! And I hope you still have good memories of your stay in Costa Rica although you've been robbed. I am happy I could help you a little...
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I could not have been more pleased with my choice of a place to stay in Drake Bay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were really cute. There was a kitchen to cook in, hammocks to chill in and it was just a very pleasant place to be. They help you with booking tours and transportation to whatever extend you need. We came by bus and Martina booked us a fairly priced taxi and water taxi to get the rest of the way there and was highly communicative through email before I got there.

Conveniently located and highly affordable, I completely recommend it. I was with a friend but there was a family with kids staying there too and it nice and quiet and family friendly. I fully recommend it to just about anyone who wants comfy yet simple accommodations while staying in the beautiful Drake Bay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Hello Fionnuala, thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am glad you liked your stay so much...just I am sorry I did not meet you in person. Next time? :-)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Whilst despairing at my bug ridden choice of accommodation in Drake Bay, I wandered into Martina's place and was immediately greeted warmly and shown a lovely clean comfortable room to which I moved into swiftly. I only spent 2 nights which was too little as this was a home away from home
and the perfect place to explore Drake Bay or simply relax. Martina is very helpful in answering questions, booking tours, giving local advice and she kindly booked all my onward travel to San Jose which was very much appreciated.
I liked the easy going atmosphere at Martina's, nothing was a problem. I would definitely recommend it and it is great value for a big room. She also has tents in the lovely garden if you want to be closer to nature and an addition of 2 more rooms recently. I think you should book in advance as Lonely Planet have just discovered Martina's Place and added it to the latest edition.
Next time I will stay longer here.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank mia t
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Hi Mia, thank you so much for this fantastic review! It was absolutely a pleasure having you as a guest, you are easygoing too :-) You definitely have to stay longer next time to explore Drake Bay more!!!!
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My partner and I and our son recently had the pleasure of staying at Martina's Place, and it was one of the best spur of the moment decisions we have ever made. The location is perfect, just steps from the beach, and the quality of our room far surpassed our expectations for being such an affordable place, especially in a location where reasonable can mean well upwards of a hundred us dollars. The kitchen was really useful, the wifi was great, and most of all, there was Martina. She took us on a tour around the countryside on her morning off and showed us a couple of really nice local spots, knew all the best places to eat and go for hikes, and in general, was everything and more you could possibly want for an innkeeper. I would highly recommend her place to anyone who is looking for reasonably priced (yet still very comfortable and modern )accommodations in Drake Bay.

Room Tip: The apartment is wonderful, especially if you are a family as there are four beds and it opens direc...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you very much for your review! It was so much fun having you guys and little River in my house...I really hope to see you again soon!