“An absolute dream come true!”

Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I wish I could give this resort an even higher rating because it was absolute paradise. My sister and I visited Costa Rica for 11 days and our last 3 days were spent at the Copa De Arbol.

I have so many raving reviews to say about this place but I will start with the amazing staff. Angel was absolutely fantastic! He is very knowledgable about the surroundings and the wildlife in the area. He was also very attentive to seek out my sister and I to show us different animals and even came to find us when he saw whales afar in the ocean! It was a real pleasure to deal with him during our stay here. We also had a great time with the manager that was always around while we were having meals in the dining area (I sadly forget his name!!) We had so many chats with him - finding out more about the culture and economic history of Costa Rica which lasted upwards of over an hour. In addition, the housekeeping staff was also amazing and so quiet - everytime you came back to your room, the beds were made and a fresh cold pitcher of water was waiting in the Cabina.

Next, the Cabinas were SPOTLESS and gorgeous! The architecture was breathtaking and the bathrooms were beautiful! Laying out in the hammocks, reading a book was one of the highlights of my stay here. We were walking distance to the beach (which was picturesque!).. We even hiked along the coast and found our own little private beach area.

But my absolute favourite part of my entire stay was the Chef Miguel! He should seriously be applauded (and applauded again) for his culinary perfection. Every single meal was perfectly executed and ridiculously delicious. All of the meals were by far the best meals I have ever had...ever.

Thank you Copa De Arbol for making our stay there perfect. I will forever dream about this resort and will most definitely be returning!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda C
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

I feel so fortunate to be able to live and work with the incredible group of people that form our staff. We are much more like a family than a group of co-workers and it reflects in so many of the reviews here on Trip Advisor. Thanks Amanda for taking the time to share your experience and for being a part of our dream.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

My life goes on from one tourist destination to another, traveling to many different hotels and places in Costa Rica, as I work in a travel agency. However this past weekend I took some time off and decided to visit the Drake Area, where I staid at Copa de Arbol.. I was a normal journey taking my early flight from San Jose to Drake, nice trip for about 40 minutes, then you reach a very small airstrip very close to the coast.. Once there you start to feel the warm weather of the Osa Peninsula Area, very sunny, a little humid but very nice indeed… I guy with a very olg Jeep picked us up, this Jeep was and old Toyota Land Cruiser truck, with seats on the back and an open root, very rustic, and that’s where the adventure really begun…
The ride on that Jeep was for about 20 minutes, we drove through rivers, along the coast, enjoying the beach on one side and Jungle on the other. We were 3 couples on our way to 3 different hotels, we made friends ride there…
We reached the beach where a nice boat was waiting for us, the captain helped us in and there we were on our way to Copa de Arbol which is like 10 minutes away… the water was perfect, between a little green/bluish color… my girlfriend and I were trying to guess which one of the properties in the area was Copa de Arbol… we knew it when we saw a root very close to a small nice beach…
Once there, we were welcomed by their staff, Angel if I remember correctly welcomed us and walked us to the restaurant, it was around 830 in the morning so they offered us breakfast, some fruits, coffee and a delicious coconut water (agua de pipa)… right there we saw monkeys trying to steal the cookies they have for the guests and the coffee station all day.. though and fast guys I can tell you, they grabbed the lid of the jar like it was nothing.. I met Jay one of the owners there and we laughed about the monkeys..
All our gear was already on our cabin, Angel showed us the place, beautiful new rooms, AC, great ocean view, they ask you to leave your shoes out, which is actually cool.. ahh by the way, the put lots of fresh flowers on your room, bathroom, etc… We rested for a while and then decided to check out the pool, this pool has 3 levels, with a hot tub on the upper level and its right in front on the ocean,,, so your view is spectacular, I was told that you can actually see whales sometimes from the pool… I wasn’t that lucky thought!!
Arnoldo came to us like around 12:30, he was our waiter, he started talking to us very friendly, and asking us if we would like something to drink, or maybe to have lunch by the pool, great idea!! We have a perfect Fried Fish Salad, really fresh, crispy and delicious, let me tell you that food an Copa de Arbol its just incredible… I’ll tell you more about that later…
Let me fast forward here for a moment, its already 4.45 in the afternoon of last Friday, we wre thirsty and went to the bar (barefoot as this is the rule  ) , to be surprised by Arnoldo again with a guest appetizer hour, that turns out to be ceviche… delicious again (BTW they do this appetizer activity every day for their guests at 5pm)… so ceviche and local beers, the perfect combination… when we realized it was already dinner time, the hours flu away while talking with people from different places, enjoying beers and great service, etc. Arnoldo our new friend came to us to check if we would like dinner, he came with 2 recommendations, chicken and a catch of the day,,, FRESH TUNA,, my favorite.. the food was sooo good that we had to meet with the Chef, a Costa Rican guy, very shy but with an incredible gift for food… for me this is one of the best meals I’ve ever had, and it was consistent cause the Chet (Miguel) blew me away again the next night…
I have to make this review short now, but let me finish by saying that this place its outstanding, and its coming from someone who knows the industry, been in many places, etc… so many activities (we did Stand Up Paddle), but they have kayaking, fishing, hiking, etc and so easy to relax at the same time… the people is very friendly and courteous. For me it was a short 3 day trip, but big in experience and satisfaction… THANK YOU COPA DE ARBOL FOR A GREAT TIME…

Room Tip: Get there flying to Drake Bay, its a shorter ride...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

It seems we forgot to thank you for the spectacular review. Although it’s taken us 4 years to reply to you, you are very much appreciated and we’re grateful for the kind words. We’ve done quite a bit of refining since 2013. With time comes experience and we’ve come a long way over the years. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I just came back from an 8 day stay at the resort. This resort is fantastic! Every member of the staff is very friendly and takes pride in ensuring you have great time during your stay. I traveled with a group of 20 and the staff learned everyone's name the first day. The location is amazing! The resort is located in a very remote area in the middle of the rain forrest on a beautiful beach. The only way to get to the resort is by boat. The wildlife in the area is amazing! We were visited daily by a group of Capacino (White Faced) Monkeys that were always into mischief and very entertaining to watch. The food is amazing! Our group requested a totally VEGAN menue during our stay. We all agreed that they prepared the best vegan food we have aver had... The cabinas are beautiful and very comfortable. All of the cabinas have an excellentview of the Ocean or Rain Forrest.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Perry C
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Hey Perry,
It was a blast having you and the rest of your group take over the whole hotel. It was the first time we had an all vegan menu and I agree that chef Miguel knocked it out of the park. When I told him we had a group coming for a week with this dietary request, he just smiled. Miguel is a true artist who has a true passion for what he does and loves catering to the different dietary needs of our guests. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband wanted to book a vacation for us where we could really relax, get away from our hectic jobs, and enjoy nature. So we spent 5 days at Copa de Arbol, and what a wonderful time we had! Our cabana was so comfortable and extremely clean. The food was delicious--fruits and vegetables were so fresh and every meal had a beautiful presentation. Our waiters Orlando and Henry looked after our every need, and our master chef Miguel outdid himself with his fabulous creations. Every night, one of the owners, Mike, stopped by at dinner to inquire how our day had gone and how we were enjoying our stay. Angel and Johnny were equally accommodating and made certain we had a wonderful time. As far as some of our excursions arranged by the hotel, we chose to trek through the jungle in the Corcovado National Park and went snorkeling at Cano Island. Our guide, Mauricio, was not your typical tour guide by any means--He was extremely knowledgeable about the animals and sea life that we saw, answering every question in detail and providing many interesting facts--which made our excursions so much more interesting. To and from both locations (Corcovado Nat'l Park and Cano Island), we saw numerous humpback whales and their calves, which was an exciting bonus for us, as we stopped and watched them just yards away from our boat. We also saw the largest school of dolphins I have ever seen, and sea turtles along the way. Snorkeling at Cano Island was a lot of fun and we saw eels, spotted stingrays, and colorful fish. At the resort itself, we saw toucans, scarlet macaws, and several different species of monkeys leaping from tree to tree. My husband got many postcard quality photographs of some very unusual animal species, such as the anteater we saw during our trek thru Corcovado Nat'l Park. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so hopefully some of these photos will show you everything you can look forward to--and more--if you should choose to visit this wonderful place. Yes, it was expensive--but it was worth every penny that we spent. I am just now getting around to posting this review--one month after the trip--and still raving to my friends and colleagues about our wonderful vacation! My only regret is that we only spent 5 days in this paradise!

Room Tip: We were in Cabana #9 - wonderful view of the ocean, and the sounds of the waves crashing was soooo r...
5  Thank Elaine M

Hey Elaine,
Thanks for taking the time to post this very informative review. It was great having you and Bruce spend your precious free time with us! We are honored that you chose Copa as the place to unwind. It’s very rewarding to be able to provide our guests with personalized service and the type of adventurous immersion in nature that people anticipate when they visit the Osa peninsula. We hope to see you and Bruce again soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This place is truly amazing. The cabins are ver nice and luxurious, in the middle of the forest and with a view on the sea.

Service is excellent. It is luxurious, but without the blah blah, true, authentic luxury. perfect.

The food is amazing.

The trip we did were wonderful.

Really, though quite expensive, I recommend this amazing place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thomas, thank you for sharing a little about your experience here. We are pleased that we met your expectations and hope to see you again someday soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed at Copa de Arbol for 5 nights in July with our two boys aged 14 and 9. Absolutely loved the place. Our cottage had two floors with two bedrooms and a sleeping area in the living room. My favorite place was the bathroom with Japanese style bath and a window overlooking small garden with a stature of Buddha. Everything, and I mean everything was absolutely perfect. I am not going to duplicate previous reviews, I agree with all of them. What made the difference for us, was amazing attention and care of chef Miguel who prepared very special meals for Andrew. Our son has got multiple foods allergies and his choice of what he can it is rather limited. So it seemed to us, before chef Miguel expanded Andrew's menu dramatically. We took home Miguel's Apple pie recipe and it is being cooked a lot. We were treated like family and the place felt like family. We hope to come back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Suite #5 if you travel with kids and want privacy for yourself.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank melnikova21

We are so fortunate to have Miguel as our chef. He is so talented it’s hard to put into words. I am so spoiled eating the tasty creations he cooks everyday. Like all of our staff, he truly cares about each guest and every meal he serves, and enjoys accommodating special diets. Many of our guests have ended up in the kitchen with him learning a few of his tricks and getting the recipes to their favorite dishes that he prepared during their stay. To us you are a part of the Copa family and we hope you come back soon. Thank you!!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I can't say enough good things about our experience at Copa De Arbol. It was absolutely beautiful. We saw monkeys outside our room!!! We also saw toucans, bats, macaws, and multiple bird species, etc. Mauricio, our tour guide for 3 trips, was a wealth of knowledge on various species in the area because of his degree in biology, as well as his experience with the conservation foundation in the Osa peninsula. Our tours would not have been the same without him. The manager Johnny and the concierge Angel asked us every night how our day was and if there was anything we needed for the following day. The restaurant had great food and Orlando and the restaurant crew was amazing. Overall, we felt the staff was friendly and very helpful. This was a dream vacation and we hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Lindsey, I had a great time sharing stories with you and David during your visit. We are glad you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you both again!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake Bay
#2 of 2 in Corcovado National Park
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!