“Highlight of our trip!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

It's hard to describe just how wonderful our stay at Copa de Arbol truly was. I'm writing this review on our first day home after visiting Costa Rica for 10 days, and Copa de Arbol is the part of Costa Rica I miss the most!

First, the journey there: We flew into Drake Bay airport, rode in a rustic truck bed through back roads to a boat, which we took to the hotel. It was a fun, adventurous way to star our journey! Francisco was a good driver and we saw dolphins during the boat ride

Once we reached shore, we were greeted on the sand by the amazing Copa de Arbol staff. Johnny and a few other staff members made us feel instantly welcomed with cool towels, welcome drinks, and their unparalleled friendliness! We were then shown to the restaurant where more amazing staff members brought us fresh coconut water (in the coconut), fruit and more refreshments! We heard that the boat ride from Sierpe was also a fantastic adventure, so maybe we'll try that route next time. (We also heard that Sansa was more on-time that Nature Air, fyi, as both of our N.A. flights were late, but the staff and transportation arrangements still flowed smoothly!)

Staff: Every one of the staff members at Copa de Arbol were FABULOUS! We feel like we left with new friends, Johnny, Ronni, Orlando, Nancy, and so many others! We were always greeted by name and they went out of their way to do whatever was needed to make us feel at home. One of my favorite memories is simply hanging out with Nancy at the bar and chatting about life while my husband and I sipped pina colodas. Thank you all!!! We miss you already!!!

Rooms: The cabin was impeccably clean and fresh, filtered ice water was delivered every few hours (just don't forget to put the do not disturb downstairs if needed, the all-glass views are pretty exposed) :)

Grounds & Facilities: Beautiful! The mineral pool (no chlorine!) had fabulous views and the hot tub was the perfect place to unwind and share stories of the day's adventures. No tv's needed here, as the monkeys provide the entertainment! There's nothing like watching four monkeys play (and plan the best way to sneak food from the kitchen!) in the tree just outside the restaurant while having lunch!

Food: The food. Where to begin? I think this may have been the highlight of our stay! I would make the trek back from DC solely for the food. The french toast is a must have for breakfast! The lunch, dinner and 'snack' (happy hour) menus change daily and are always a wonderful surprise. The passion fruit mousse was a particular highlight! Freshly baked cookies and coffee are always available and superb. We also visited over Thanksgiving and the staff went out of their way to prepare an incredible menu of delicious holiday favorites. They arranged it family style at one, communal table, just like home. We felt like we were surrounded by a community and we are so grateful!

Tours: Mauricio is The. Best. We took a night hike with him and a trip to Corcovado's Sirena station and, while I'm sure it's easy to see wildlife in such tremendous park, Mauricio is incredibly knowledgeable, and really takes the time to share information, answer questions and ensure everyone is safe. We also took a trip to Cano Island for snorkeling with Erick. As a first time snorkelers I was a little uncertain, but loved it! We saw multiple schools of fish, 3 reef sharks, a ray (from afar), and much more. There's still so much more we didn't have a chance to do, paddle boards, kayaks, horse back riding, etc!

Overall, there's just something special about Copa de Arbol. There's a sense of community among fellow travelers and staff at this small eco-lodge and we are so grateful for our time there. I would love to return some day!

2 Thank LASH22201
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
People come to the Osa Peninsula to immerse themselves in a truly wild tropical wilderness. One of our goals at Copa De Arbol was to create a gastronomic experience that could stand on its own, apart from the main reason people come to the area. Many of our guests are pleasantly surprised by the creations of chef Miguel and chef Jota. Everything that is served here is homemade by our talented kitchen staff; all the bread, pasta, deserts, jam, etc. using the freshest ingredients. Our main goal is to exceed our guest’s expectations in all areas, and thanks to our dedicated staff/family of guides, maids, garden staff, boat captains and management staff, that goal is becoming a reality. Thanks for sharing and come back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We are in our 60's, so wanted someplace where we can experience nature, but in a more luxurious setting. Copa de Arbol definately did that. The wild is all around this shangrila setting. The service is excellent. The food is excellent. The setting is excellent. The facilities are excellent. (See a theme here?) They take care of everything from having umbrellas (for when it rains) to supplying rubber boots (for tours into the muddy jungle). This is a very intimate environment where we felt like one of the family. Everyone is friendly without being imposing.

1 Thank Sr-Travel-2013
It’s a true pleasure to share the Osa Peninsula with all the wonderful people that come to visit us. Thanks for your excellent review and your appreciation for our efforts.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Magical.
Beautiful.
Relaxing.
Memorable.
Superior Service.
AC. ;)
10 yr. Anniversary (check!)

We had our wedding at Copa de Arbol. It was the most special time we have had as a couple and with our family and friends.
The staff is our family now and we couldn't have had this wedding without the love and hard work they put into it. Truly so special it fills my heart with joy.
The restaurant staff: Orlando (Teddy Bear, My Love), Henry (Face of an angel), Ronny (Energetic and a romantic in disguise), Ivan (Adorable) are unbelievable. The service and attention is incomparable. You will not find this anywhere else. They will know your name on your arrival and have open conversations with you to make you feel even more welcomed. (You are all missed) Thank you for everything.
Miguel....Oh Miguel. Our master chef. The King of the Kitchen. And now pro floral arranger. :)
You will eat something different everyday bc he doesn't like to cook the same thing twice. The french toast is a must. And just eat whatever he makes. It's always amazing and made with such love and tenderness. (We miss Miguel, thank you for everything) p.s. We were spoiled and had fresh tuna sushi for our wedding. Yea, take that!!
Mike one of the owners made our dreams come true. What a gift he gave us by letting our group take over the resort for 3 days. Unforgettable to everyone who attended and for us especially. No where else could we have done this. And he gave us so much support and gratitude for us choosing Copa. It was totally mutual Mike. You hold a very special place in our hearts and we consider you family. Go Cali!
TeeKeely is her name and adorable is her game. She brought all the in's and out's together for us. Making trips to San Jose to help get stereos, flowers, and whatever else we talked about.
She greeted us like we had been friends for a long time. She is a complete joy and will go out of her way to make you a very happy human being. (Keeping in touch with that one, friend.)
Summer- The super mom and who will take your reservation for you. She made our 25 guests get there and with such grace. I can't tell you how grateful we all are for her patience, knowledge, and persistence. You want to know something about Copa, she knows. And she's an beautiful human being. Thank you Summer. Gracias, Merci, Danke.
I could go on for days. And you could make a choice by staying at another place but it would be the wrong choice. My husband and I have been here twice now. Before the wedding because we had to see it and fall in love which was so easy once you are there. So as regular guests and now married guests it is the only place in Drake Bay and the Oso Peninsula we will stay. Noooooooo doubt!
Oh and if you are planning on how many days you should stay always go with more bc you will regret it if you don't.
We love you Copa. We miss you Copa. We will see you again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are special and different. Brother stayed in 11 - Teka which was so cool and near th...
2 Thank fiercelu
Leslie, we miss you guys and the energy that your wonderful group of friends & family brought with them. We were all so honored to be chosen as the place to hold such a special event. It really meant a lot to the entire staff. Say hi to Grant, Jeremy, Riva, Greg, Miguel, and the rest of the group and get them back here sooner! 10 years is too long!!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Don't even consider staying ANYWHERE else. Truly-stop now and book with Copa de Arbol.

I just returned from the most amazing vacation of my life at this resort. My friends booked the entire resort for a wedding, and the entire staff, including the owners Mike and Kylie, went COMPLETELY above and beyond to make it a once-in-a-lifetime experience...

First, it is simply so exotic. After a Cessna ride in, you take a BOAT, yes, a BOAT to get to the resort. Upon arriving, they check you in and usher you to the restaurant for drinks and food. Oh, the food. Miguel (the chef) and Orlando (the restaurant manager) will change your life with the quality and variety of food that they offer. Make sure you get the french toast for breakfast. Think cruise ship, except the resort doesn't move. And how can I forget the wildlife on this property!?!?! The monkeys are amazing and will, literally, join you for dinner in the restaurant....

The rooms. Oh, the rooms. Beuatiful!!! All polished hardwood and clean beyond clean. A team of four cleans your room DAILY better than you clean your house once a year. Fresh water, fresh flowers, and air conditioning. Dont' forget the hammocks on the ground level of most cabanas and the amazing showers.

The pool and tours. Oh, the pool and tours. The pool is a quad-level infinity, with one being an amazing jacuzzi. It is so phenomenal to sit in the pool with a drink, watch the monkeys and ocean (as well as the other wildlife and flora). All of the guides are amazing, and I was able to do the jungle tour and snorkeling on Cano with Mauricio-both of which are not to be missed.

I mentioned the wedding earlier... The staff went completely above and beyond to make this truly unforgettable. From LITERALLY CONSTRUCTING AN ALTAR FROM BAMBOO AND NATURAL FLORA to delivering beers on the beach during photos to providing a full wedding cake, they made memories for us that no other place on the planet would.

Please, I beg you, do not make the mistake of going ANYWHERE else. This is one of the most amazing spots on Earth. BOOK TODAY!!!

Room Tip: Palm Cabana #5 is THE original and amazing for two to four to share. Two stories with an amazing ba...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank SouthernAZTraveler
Jeremy, it was truly a pleasure to have you guys here for Leslie and Grant’s wedding. We could not have wished for a cooler group of people to spend a week with here at Copa. We miss you guys and the fun energy you brought! Come back soon!!!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I travel often and have done extensive research when I came to choose Copa De Arbol. Before even arriving to the lodge, the trip to get here was an adventure in itself- DO NOT SKIP the river ride tour to get here- its amazing and although doesn't even compare to what you're about to experience in Copa, its still worth experiencing! I can't say enough about all the tour guides either! Everyone made my trip such a memorable and enriched experience. By the way- I am a 31 year old woman who loves adventure, often travels alone, & being from Los Angeles, I'm hip and trendy but appreciate and adore the purr life...with a touch of luxury, thrilling adventure, & being one with nature. This is IT!!!! <3

When choosing a vacation, At the top of my comfort list would be: Location (NON tourist spots- hidden gems), Food- gourmet, organic preferably, & delicious cultural cuisine, Well cared for Accommodations but more so, a deep care for the environment and surrounding areas! Copa was a combination of all of these factors and tun some! I love the seclusion factor of this location as well as the private and isolated feel as if you were staying in a resort all of your own. The staff is more than accommodating and helpful whether you are a solo travel (as I usually am) or traveling with a significant other or friends etc... The food was absolutely superb and all my special requests were honored including a candlelight dinner upstairs in a private loft in the main dining room for myself & my boyfriend at the time! ;) It was amazing while it lasted! LOL! They even had a masseuse come to the resort to give us massages- I chose to have mine on the beach. There is a nearby town we checked out but truthfully there is no need to leave the resort unless it is to explore the nearby islands snorkeling, sunset cruise, or hiking in the rainforest.

I spend my days hiking in the forest with the most knowledgable tour guides, SUP along the coast, laying on the beach tanning, & reading a book on my private hammock. If you are looking for the hustle and bustle of a busy town or city or touristy activities, this place is not for you. This is a complete zen luxury eco lodge, romantic, enlightening, & calming vacation far enough away from civilization, but with a lil wifi & hot water showers! Absolutely beautiful and lovely stay!

I have yet to find a place like this in the Amazon which is my next stop but I will keep traveling and researching till I find something close. I am dying to come back to Copa de Arbol! :)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MissD819
Hey Michele its been a while almost a year I think. I’m glad to know that the memories of your time at Copa De Arbol are still fresh in your mind. Thanks for posting this review. We hope to see you back soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I wish I could give this resort an even higher rating because it was absolute paradise. My sister and I visited Costa Rica for 11 days and our last 3 days were spent at the Copa De Arbol.

I have so many raving reviews to say about this place but I will start with the amazing staff. Angel was absolutely fantastic! He is very knowledgable about the surroundings and the wildlife in the area. He was also very attentive to seek out my sister and I to show us different animals and even came to find us when he saw whales afar in the ocean! It was a real pleasure to deal with him during our stay here. We also had a great time with the manager that was always around while we were having meals in the dining area (I sadly forget his name!!) We had so many chats with him - finding out more about the culture and economic history of Costa Rica which lasted upwards of over an hour. In addition, the housekeeping staff was also amazing and so quiet - everytime you came back to your room, the beds were made and a fresh cold pitcher of water was waiting in the Cabina.

Next, the Cabinas were SPOTLESS and gorgeous! The architecture was breathtaking and the bathrooms were beautiful! Laying out in the hammocks, reading a book was one of the highlights of my stay here. We were walking distance to the beach (which was picturesque!).. We even hiked along the coast and found our own little private beach area.

But my absolute favourite part of my entire stay was the Chef Miguel! He should seriously be applauded (and applauded again) for his culinary perfection. Every single meal was perfectly executed and ridiculously delicious. All of the meals were by far the best meals I have ever had...ever.

Thank you Copa De Arbol for making our stay there perfect. I will forever dream about this resort and will most definitely be returning!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amanda C
I feel so fortunate to be able to live and work with the incredible group of people that form our staff. We are much more like a family than a group of co-workers and it reflects in so many of the reviews here on Trip Advisor. Thanks Amanda for taking the time to share your experience and for being a part of our dream.
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My life goes on from one tourist destination to another, traveling to many different hotels and places in Costa Rica, as I work in a travel agency. However this past weekend I took some time off and decided to visit the Drake Area, where I staid at Copa de Arbol.. I was a normal journey taking my early flight from San Jose to Drake, nice trip for about 40 minutes, then you reach a very small airstrip very close to the coast.. Once there you start to feel the warm weather of the Osa Peninsula Area, very sunny, a little humid but very nice indeed… I guy with a very olg Jeep picked us up, this Jeep was and old Toyota Land Cruiser truck, with seats on the back and an open root, very rustic, and that’s where the adventure really begun…
The ride on that Jeep was for about 20 minutes, we drove through rivers, along the coast, enjoying the beach on one side and Jungle on the other. We were 3 couples on our way to 3 different hotels, we made friends ride there…
We reached the beach where a nice boat was waiting for us, the captain helped us in and there we were on our way to Copa de Arbol which is like 10 minutes away… the water was perfect, between a little green/bluish color… my girlfriend and I were trying to guess which one of the properties in the area was Copa de Arbol… we knew it when we saw a root very close to a small nice beach…
Once there, we were welcomed by their staff, Angel if I remember correctly welcomed us and walked us to the restaurant, it was around 830 in the morning so they offered us breakfast, some fruits, coffee and a delicious coconut water (agua de pipa)… right there we saw monkeys trying to steal the cookies they have for the guests and the coffee station all day.. though and fast guys I can tell you, they grabbed the lid of the jar like it was nothing.. I met Jay one of the owners there and we laughed about the monkeys..
All our gear was already on our cabin, Angel showed us the place, beautiful new rooms, AC, great ocean view, they ask you to leave your shoes out, which is actually cool.. ahh by the way, the put lots of fresh flowers on your room, bathroom, etc… We rested for a while and then decided to check out the pool, this pool has 3 levels, with a hot tub on the upper level and its right in front on the ocean,,, so your view is spectacular, I was told that you can actually see whales sometimes from the pool… I wasn’t that lucky thought!!
Arnoldo came to us like around 12:30, he was our waiter, he started talking to us very friendly, and asking us if we would like something to drink, or maybe to have lunch by the pool, great idea!! We have a perfect Fried Fish Salad, really fresh, crispy and delicious, let me tell you that food an Copa de Arbol its just incredible… I’ll tell you more about that later…
Let me fast forward here for a moment, its already 4.45 in the afternoon of last Friday, we wre thirsty and went to the bar (barefoot as this is the rule  ) , to be surprised by Arnoldo again with a guest appetizer hour, that turns out to be ceviche… delicious again (BTW they do this appetizer activity every day for their guests at 5pm)… so ceviche and local beers, the perfect combination… when we realized it was already dinner time, the hours flu away while talking with people from different places, enjoying beers and great service, etc. Arnoldo our new friend came to us to check if we would like dinner, he came with 2 recommendations, chicken and a catch of the day,,, FRESH TUNA,, my favorite.. the food was sooo good that we had to meet with the Chef, a Costa Rican guy, very shy but with an incredible gift for food… for me this is one of the best meals I’ve ever had, and it was consistent cause the Chet (Miguel) blew me away again the next night…
I have to make this review short now, but let me finish by saying that this place its outstanding, and its coming from someone who knows the industry, been in many places, etc… so many activities (we did Stand Up Paddle), but they have kayaking, fishing, hiking, etc and so easy to relax at the same time… the people is very friendly and courteous. For me it was a short 3 day trip, but big in experience and satisfaction… THANK YOU COPA DE ARBOL FOR A GREAT TIME…

Room Tip: Get there flying to Drake Bay, its a shorter ride...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drake Bay
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay
Pirate Cove
Pirate Cove
#7 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!