“My second time at La Paloma, terribly average this time”
Review of La Paloma Lodge

La Paloma Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Austin, Texas
“My second time at La Paloma, terribly average this time”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I went to La Paloma again in May of 2013, after being there in May of 2012. I could not have had two more diverse experiences. Nicole, the original manager is gone. Let me count the bad things from the 2013 trip. I couldn't get bacon with my breakfast. Not once in 5 days. They were "out". I've been to Drake Bay more than once, if there is one thing that is plentiful, it's pigs and bacon.

They forgot to schedule a horseback ride for another couple that we met. This did not impact me directly, but it again points to a lack of attention to detail.

I scheduled a massage. Had I not gone back to the mgmt and asked them a second time if it had been scheduled, there would have been no massage.

The food portions were either a) small, or b) generally lousy food. Fajitas are not made of fish. Not in any part of Latin America. Ever. Lunches were an overdose of fruit, which is arguably abundant, but can you stop offering me the same crappy dried fish salad day after day after day?

I couldn't wait to go back to La Paloma after we had stayed there in 2012. I can't wait to never go back there again. It was the suck. A solid C minus.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank EricFromAustin
lizzy06osa, General Manager at La Paloma Lodge, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Jenny,
I am sorry to read that you were unsatisfied with your vacation at La Paloma this year. Here at the lodge we take criticism to heart and have immediately started implementing change. Your candid review has pushed to re-polish the experience that we share with all of our guests. We pride ourselves in providing each guest with the best experience possible.
The team at La Paloma Lodge is regretful that we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback.

Nichole DuPont
(formally on sabbatical)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

We had a terrific time at La Paloma. The owner, manager, and staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, quickly learning our names and interests. The guides really know their stuff and couldn't have been nicer. We went scuba diving with Giant Mantas and sharks, saw tapirs, coatis, sloths, four monkey species and more on our hikes to San Pedrillo and La Sirena stations in Corcovado Park, and also enjoyed the mangrove boat tour and the night hike with Gian and Tracie, the "Bug Lady". We logged over 85 bird species during the week. The weather was hot at the end of March but the ceiling fans in our deluxe rancho made for comfortable sleeping even without air conditioning. The food was varied and quite tasty. The only problem was that the week ended too quickly. We'd happily go back again.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David R
London, Ontario CAN
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stayed at La Paloma for a week in April. After researching various eco-lodges in the Osa Penninsula, we chose La Paloma based on the many good reviews. We were not disappointed- we highly recommend this lodge to anyone looking for the accommodations and lovely surroundings of an all-inclusive resort packaged in a small lodge setting. The Corcovado Park tour, Cano Island snorkeling, Mangrove tour, Night Bug tour, horseback riding, kayaking and hiking trails offer small group experiences with the diverse wildlife and plants in the area. Unfortunately the terrain would be a challenge for anyone with mobility issues. The staff was great - Jessica, Tibs, Alex, Abraham and Jamaica always greet you by your first name and stop to chat or ask about your day. Walter was a super guide on the Corcovado and Mangrove tours. The room choices are unique, well-designed and well-maintained, The standard rooms are close to the lodge but with the lush vegetation surrounding the building, the rooms feel secluded and private. Rancho #1 was beautiful - the view excellent! We were entertained by a troop of capuchin monkeys outside our room and a shy coati who each morning descended from the tree by our deck. The family style seating at dinner is a great way to meet and mingle with other guests at the end of the day. The food was fresh, delicious and well-presented with just the right sized portions. No typical buffets, heat lamps and warming trays here! La Paloma is an idyllic, memorable spot and we would love to return there in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dandl972
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Where else can stand in your shower and see a monkey hanging from the eaves seven feet away from you? This was my second visit to La Paloma Lodge and it was everything I remembered it to be.

Lush, humid and hot, but oh-so beautiful. The staff was amazing, the food delicious, the walk to the beach lovely, the sounds of the birds soothing, etc. There's just so much to like about it.

I recommend the mangrove tour in a big way. Nowhere else will you experience the vastness of wildlife and bio-education.

The lasting memories from this trip will center around the fun conversations we had with the other guests. Each night we'd gather for drinks and apps before the family-style dinner, and the chemistry among the group was great. I think we got lucky -- there was a nice mix of late-30s to early-50s-aged couples and their 8 to 16 year old kids. The kids would circle up and play cards from the time they returned from excursions until dinner was served, and then they'd request a kids-only table.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SeattleLoni
Omaha
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My husband and I spent a week at La Paloma in October 2011 and loved it! While it wasn't exactly the beach vacation I was hoping for, it was certainly an adventure. One thing that amazed me most was how much luxury that the staff could provide that far off the beaten path.

Overall, the resort is fairly quiet as many people are either out adventuring during the day then just plain tired at night. I would definitely recommend the Bug Lady walk at night as well as a stroll up the beach path. Gustavo was our guide for most of the other excursions and he was fantastic as well.

It pretty much rained the entire time we were there, but once you get used to being wet, it's not really a big deal. I would certainly recommend ponchos and flashlights - they are a must!

Things to know:
- The location is REMOTE
- There really isn't any nightlife to speak of here
- It is so humid that your clothes will not dry on their own, but they have a dry room that you can use for free
- If you're like me, you can expect to wake up around 5:45 or 6 every morning - they pretty much operate on when the sun is up. However, everyone goes to bed by around 9, so it's not a big deal

Room Tip: Stay in one of the cabins if you can - the dawn breaking over the ocean is wonderful to wake up to.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank misskate125
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My husband and I have been to La Paloma five times in the past ten years, which pretty much sums up how we feel about the place. It's hard to imagine returning to Costa Rica without including La Paloma. We've come to know some of the guides, especially Randall, quite well and appreciate the effort they make to show us what is special about the Osa. Although Nichole, the former manager, has left and we miss her, Jess is just as warm and welcoming and just as knowledgable, so the change has not made a difference in how La Paloma functions. We have stayed in sunset ranchos, which are spacious and open to the breezes. The food has always been fresh and plentiful and that has not changed, either. We enjoy the quiet atmosphere and focus on nature. If you are looking for night life - beyond insects, bats, and the odd ocelot - La Paloma is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank XuxaL
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 April 2013

The location, the rooms, the staff, the food, the activities and facilities -- all perfect. The most attentive staff I have ever come across. How many places do you go where you hug the manager and the owner upon leaving? This is a very special place to which my family and I will be returning.

Room Tip: Every room has a great view, but spend a little extra for a "rancho"
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
#7 of 8 in Drake Bay
Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
#2 of 45 in Drake Bay

Been to La Paloma Lodge? Share your experiences!