“Amazing service, beautiful details, and more than amazing nature around us”
Review of La Paloma Lodge

La Paloma Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Reviewed 17 January 2011

La Paloma was the fourth and by far the best accommodations we have tried in the Osa (others were Casa Corcovado, Lapa Rios and Aguila de Osa). The rooms were beyond luxury - deep hardwood colors and brilliant wood construction, with vistas of ocean and jungle, and monkeys that came right to our deck. The direct personal hospitality of the owners (Mike and Sue) and manager (Nicole) made us so comfortable. The little details made the difference - large comfortable towels, beautiful linens, excellent fresh food, the swim "wraps" they provided just for walking to the beach.
From La Paloma we made a snorkel trip (my grandson learned in the deep blue waters there -- warm water and gentle encouragement); the sea kayaking with Shawn up the crystalline river was a naturalist's dream. The lodge provided such a warm atmosphere for their guests - not centered around a bar, but around the nature -- bug free and lovely even in the evenings.
In 20 years of travel in Costa Rica, with many high star hotels, I will rank La Paloma the best for service, for thoughtful details to make us comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank travelfreak72

Reviewed 5 January 2011

Perched on top of a hill by the ocean, La Paloma is a slice of heaven in a wonderful country. From the outset, booking through their San Jose office, we knew we were in for something special as they went out of their way to be helpful and take the stress out of our holiday planning. But nothing could prepare us for the welcome we received on arrival from the staff and other guests, it was like we were long lost friends coming back for a house party. The rooms are comfortable, airy and spacious and the only worries are the monkeys who scamper across the roofs in the early hours. Everything is taken care of and you are in expert hands; tours to Corcovado and Cano Island are with local guides who bring the most out of the trips; dinners are in family style sharing tables so you meet the other guests and swap stories and the food served is delicious. One major tip is the massage - honestly the best I've ever had and done on the deck of my room overlooking the bay: absolute heaven.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank AliceK3a
Reviewed 3 January 2011

La Paloma gave us the most exciting and memorable traveling experience we have ever had. We were greeted with open arms and smiling faces and of course a picture perfect scenery. Throughout our entire stay at the lodge we were treated with much respect. The staff was always on top of everything, including a wake up knock and fresh brewed coffee every morning upon our request. All of our activities were planned with ease, we never had to worry about a single thing. Amazing meals were prepared 3 times a day. The staff paid extra attention to our special needs and were extremely pleasant every time we saw them. The guides were awesome, both fun and thorough. La Paloma's atmosphere alone is incredible but paired with outstanding service made this trip unforgettable. We are very thankful for our trip and the great stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Duncan919
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Our family of 4 (with two college-aged children) just returned from 5 wonderful nights at La Paloma Lodge. We stayed in Sunset Rancho #3 which provided us with close-up views of white-faced monkeys, toucans, coatis and scarlet macaws. Although the flight from San Jose to Drake Bay was bumpy, once on the ground we were in good hands. We took the San Pedrillo and Sirena tours to Corcovado Park and they did not disappoint. We saw 4 types of monkeys, sloths, parrots, an anteater, a tapir, crocodiles, whales and dolphins. The trip to Cano Island was good, but the water was a bit cloudy for snorkeling. We also took the zip-line canopy tour and it was excellent. The guides were knowledgeable and friendly for all the tours. We also kayaked on the Aguijitas River which was an unexpected treat. And the body surfing at Cocalitas beach was excellent. If we return, we will schedule a day trip to San Josecito beach, which is also beautiful and we heard has wonderful snorkeling. The Osa Peninisula remains a place of unspoiled beauty.

La Paloma Lodge itself is a beautiful setting. It was high season and the lodge was fully occupied each day, but it wasn't a problem. In fact, we met lots of nice people from all over the world and made some new friends. The food was high quality with the right-sized portions. We liked the pool too, but a larger pool deck for sunning would have been nice. We also enjoyed a massage at a wonderfully affordable price. Although LP is not cheap, we felt like we got solid value for our money.

The days started early with activities and ended with dinner and bed shortly afterwards. It was a different, but agreeable routine for us. The weather was near-perfect with only two brief showers during our stay. The temperatures were always pleasant.

What else can we say but that we highly recommend the La Paloma Lodge -- it is just the right balance of adventure, natural beauty and comfort. Pura vida!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank jpsmcs
Reviewed 31 December 2010

This was my second trip to Drake Bay. First time i stayed at Aguila de Osa Inn. That place was nice, but La Palma was great. We stayed at a "deluxe" AKA "Ranchos", which was very comfortable for our two kids and us two adults. i would not recommend it for two adult couples, unless you do not care about privacy/romance. If you must have AC to sleep in a tropical location, stay away from Drake Bay. If you want an unforgettable and lovely experience, do not miss it. My recommendation; 1. three night minimum. 2. If you are flying into the area, try to fly into Drake bay, not Palmar Sur. Entering and exiting the Sierpe river, by boat (the only way to get from Palmar Sur to Drake bay), is...kinda scary. I have gone through this area three times, and did just fine, but would prefer to avoid it, if possible. 3. bring a flash light & extra batteries. 4. we did not go on the bug lady night tour as i mistakenly assumed we would be walking through the jungle at night, which scared me. Only to find out that at most you are yards away from the main resort area, on the main trail. The people who went had a great time. i wished i would have gone. Same goes for the local Ziplining/canopy tour. I thought it would be a small operation. I did not go. However, those who went had a great time. I wish i would have gone.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Isra-Caltraveler
Reviewed 23 December 2010

This is a gorgeous - unspoilt natural place where even the entrace is only Via Boat and then up a steep climb to reach the Villas. I agree with a previous review that the open rooms do allow insects in if you leave lights on - but that is what nature is all about ! The service was excellent - food reasonably good (For the price we pay - I thought It should be better) the tours which were included were excellent - the guides were very good.
In any event - this is a luxury villa - and if you want luxury and true nature - I would recommend La Paloma !

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RJAYS
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I just got back from a wonderful vacation in Costa Rica. The highlight of my trip was my stay at La Paloma Lodge. As soon as I arrived , after a short and scenic flight, I was gretted by the manager, Nicole, who made sure all my needs were met. Everything was terrific. My cabin had a spectacular view of the Pacific and the sunsets over Cano island were awesome..From my balcony I saw monkeys, scarlet macaws, a sloth, hummingbirds, bats at night, and many butterfies. Our guide to Corcovado, Randall, made it a special day. His knowledge of the rainforests flora and fauna was amazing. I was able to go fishing and caught some tuna and a wahoo, which we ate for dinner. The food was fresh and excellent tasting. I'm already planning my next trip to Paloma!!

Henrye

#1 of 1 in Carate
Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
#2 of 2 in Corcovado National Park

Been to La Paloma Lodge? Share your experiences!