“Fantastic Staff and Relaxing Accomodations”
Review of Pirate Cove

Pirate Cove
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic Staff and Relaxing Accomodations”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights while in Drake Bay. The facilities are nice compared to all others in Drake Bay and the staff is awesome. Very knowledgeable and friendly. Collaborative atmosphere. Was able to meet a lot of other people staying at the hotel. Great food as well. Did two days of scuba diving. The dive site is great, although go during August or September. That's the best time of year to see whales, Manta Ray and Turtles. We went in November and didnt see any of these although we did see tons of Shark, eel, sting rays, many different types of fish, dolphins, etc.

Room Tip: It's hot and humid in Drake Bay. Get an A/C room if it is available (there are only two). Well w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I travelled here in September 2013 for 3 nights. I had been working in Costa Rica for 3 months, and this was the second part of my vacation and I could not have picked a more interesting spot.

Room
As I was there in the low season, a couple of the Bungalows were being re-floored and therefore I was not able to stay in one but the alternative Cabin was equally as good. The room was airy, clean and with plenty of a breeze but as it was September, it was not necessary.

Trips/Excursions
I went to Sirena Station for the day trek, and having been working in and walking through other National Parks in Costa Rica. This was a different level of wilderness and the ease at which we saw animals was incredible.

I also travelled out to Isla Caño for some diving. The operation was very professional and we did encounter a variety of wildlife, but unfortunately visibility was not on our side. However the diving was still very enjoyable.

Staff
During my stay, the manager, Nelson was very accommodating and coordinate activities so that I could join other groups and see as much of the surrounding activities. The nature guide, whose name I can't recall, was very knowledgeable and was able to provide good commentary in both English and Spanish.

The food was delightful and varied.

Top Tip
The night hike was not something I initially planned on undertaking, but seeing all the creatures that can be missed during the day was immense and I would recommend this trip to everyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sweetman86
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I visited Costa Rica for our Honey Moon this September and only had a week; stayed 4 days in Manuel Antonio and then headed south to Corcovado for our last weekend and stayed at the Pirate Cove in Drake Bay. The second we landed at the cove (in the pouring rain even) we instantly wished we had spent our entire trip here. Awesome cabinas resting on the edge of the rainforest with views and sounds of the ocean all day and all night. So peaceful and relaxing. The Cabinas are well-maintained and perfect in size; We appreciated the Eco-friendliness as well! We stayed in a non-a/c cabin and so GRATEFUL for that; as you could hear the sounds of the rain and ocean during the night; there was a nice breeze coming in through the windows, so we never were too hot (We were here in September however; so maybe a little cooler than the peak/summer months). The food was pretty good. We got the 3 meals a day package; which actually felt like too much food, but we were happy we did it in the end. The staff, guides, and boat captains were friendly and super accommodating. WE LOVED NELSON. Nelson was our concierge at the cove, and he was the greatest; so sweet and welcoming. He even invited us to the town to meet his family and experience the Independence Day parade the school was putting on. He helped arrange transportation for us as well back to the airport and even emailed us later that day to ensure that we got to SJO okay (we were a bit nervous that we did not have enough time to make it!). We would return to Pirate Cove in a second if given the opportunity. We had a great experience overall!

Room Tip: if you want to have the true rainforest experience ;) select a room with no a/c! We stayed in one of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in September 2013. Had a really positive experience, the staff was all super friendly. We were here for diving, which was poor visibility, but that's not their fault (and is apparently very atypical). The dive shop was really great, very professional, small groups, good equipment -- though we were here during the slow season.

Food was really good, though pricey and given how isolated it is there aren't a ton of options. On the other hand, the booze they sell on-site was reasonable given the isolation. The air-conditioned rooms were nice, but wouldn't necessarily recommend them during the rainy season -- they're not really required, and because they're right above the kitchen they're a bit noisy. Mix of people staying there, mostly < 40 years old. The boat from Sierpe was pretty easy to use, I was nervous about it because I hadn't gotten much direction, but basically you show up at the Las Vegas restaurant, say you're going to Pirate Bay, and the boat captain you need finds you and makes sure you're on the boat. The detour through the mangroves on the way to Pirate Bay was also very cool.

Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Air conditioned rooms are small, two single beds, and a bit noisy. Would do a cabin next time.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
sf bay california
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Pirate Cove - well the name attracted us. The ride down the river was worth the price of admission alone. We stayed three nights in the winter - rain and sun. The staff was professional, trustworthy and made you feel confident within the jungle surroundings. We went diving with them and they were great. Rainforest trek was amazing. The rooms are small and junglie - great!

Room Tip: crap shoot - you can't lose
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1royhobbs
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Ok, first off, I had read the reviews for this place, and couldn't believe some of the negative & snarky remarks put in by some. So now, a month after our 3 days & nights there, it is time for me to add my two cents on Pirates Cove.....

First off; my wife & I are in our late 50s, relatively fit, and enjoy hiking and nature. We tend NOT to do "package tours" or be in tour groups. We like adventure & "winging it", and were very pleased with our time here. The boat trip from Sierpe (1 hour) was a hoot, and unloading in the surf was fun (don't be a devil and wear Prada). We arrived in time for lunch, and let me say that despite the 'bungalow' & campground surroundings that some people complained about, the truth of the matter is, we ate some of the best meals/dishes here for 3 days, during our 16 days in Costa Rica. Everything was well prepared. I'm a type 1 diabetic, and the staff made sure that I was taken care of.
CRS tours booked this stop for us, but instead of snorkeling, we opted for the Mangrove Swamp/boat tour. We also did the San Pedrillo Station nature tour, and our guide was EXCELLENT! Oh, and being the only people from USA was no problem...our host doesn't 'cater' to europeans; the europeans must just be more open to a true vacation experience. No regrets by us for this part of our vacation.

Room Tip: If you make it out here, you MUST take advantage of the tours available, or you perhaps will feel li...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snurb55
Riverside, CA
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This was our last stop on a 17 day CR vacation. We left our rental car in Sierpe and took a boat down to the Pacific. Everything went very smoothly. At Las Vegas Restaurant, there was a man waiting for us. He took us to a secure lot to leave our rental car for 4 days. We then enjoyed a nice breakfast while we waited for our departure time. We saw two crocs while we ate at Las Vegas. The entry into the Pacific was a little scary, but the skipper handled the boat well. Most of the crew got a chuckle out of me covering my eyes! My husband is a little limited physically, and he was able to handle the "wet landing" at the hotel beach. Don't be afraid to make the journey to Drake Bay! The hotel is lovely. We stayed in an air-conditioned room and had no regrets. The food was incredible and they accommodated my husband's diet. Friendly and helpful staff!

Room Tip: We stayed in an air-conditioned room. It was nice to have a cool, dry room to get a good nights slee...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Carate
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Pirate Cove? Share your experiences!