“A piece of Paradise”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
San Jose-Costa Rica
“A piece of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is a unique experience...Booth the Lodge and the Drake Bay area. But first you must be clear of what to expect. The Pirate Cove is a lovely lodge, the rooms are clean, comfortable, and the cabins are so nice, with amazing beach views...But this is a lodge!! In a middle of nowhere...It is not a Ritz Carlton...But that is precisely the beauty of it!!....Suzanne Pagano is probably the must experience diver in the area, and its crew as well. So for those how goes to Drake looking for the best Dives...This is the place to be!! As well as for those who just want to snorkel in Caño Island. Getting back to Suzanne, she is warm and incredible nice. She makes all fill in Home...Excellent meals!! No menu at all...You just get amazed by the food...Fresh fish, Beef Stroganoff to die for...In my case, they accomplished all my need, If I asked for a bit more...No problem...Asked for some rice, and beans..No problem...Vegetarian...No worries...Ah and the bread...The bread!! Homemade and fresh, made every day!! Always fresh browed coffee with cakes any time....No TV, no phones, no Barman on duty to make your Piña Coladas, after 9 PM everybody in bed..But come on...You are in the Jungle!! Besides after touring the magnificent wonders of the area such as Corcovado Park, Isla del Caño, after hiking or diving for hours...All you need is a clean bead, a friendly staff...And a delicious hot meal !!..I decided to stay in an A/C room...I got cool, in exchange for the view...But you can choose!!....Yes the walls are thin, you might hear your neighbor walking...But how can you build a concrete Bunker in that jungle? And even if you can...Why destroying the area?
The staff is friendly; I even opened the kitchen door,many times, to see what is for the next meal...
In few words...You should investigate, and to do an Internet search in advance, so you are aware of the nature of this wet an isolated part of the Costarican Jungle and its conditions. Then be prepared for a lodge experience and for adventure...If adventure is what you are looking for...This is the place to be!!

Room Tip: It is real Hot...So, I choose an A/C room, but no balcony, nor nice view...I had no problem at all...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I almost don't want to write this review, as I would like to keep Pirate Cove a secret... :-)

I stayed for about a week in February 2014 (solo female traveler), and cannot say enough positive things about the accommodations, food, setting, area, and especially the Pirate Cove staff. Nelson and Suzanne were really welcoming as soon as I arrived, and were extremely friendly and helpful throughout my stay. The kitchen staff were awesome, made amazing meals and kept me well-fed, happy and energized for my daily excursions. Gustavo was perhaps the most knowledgeable and inspiring nature/wildlife guide I have ever met...I am a wildlife biologist and it was truly a pleasure to be introduced to the many wild wonders of the Osa Peninsula for the first time though his expert eyes. I fell madly in love with the region, and can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank clabraham71
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is our 9th trip to Costa Rica, and our 5th to the Osa. Having stayed at Pirate Cove Hotel 4 other trips, we were delighted to see the quality of this fine hotel surpass our previous trips. Never would we have thought it could get any better. The facilities are kept immaculate, sure there are bugs-we are the jungle folks but not in our rooms unless they fly in the door when you go in or out.... the food is outstanding, varied menus , different fruit juices each meal, and so filling after a busy day of exploring. And the coffee- 6AM until 8PM...Excellent!!!! We do not speak Spanish, and we have never found a language barrier with any of the staff, guides, boat captains, obviously since we choose to return over and over, and we have enjoyed many good FUNNY conversations regarding their home(Drake Bay), the animals, and neat places to explore on our own. They will do anything to help and make their guests time enjoyable. One of the owners is available on site and the others reachable by phone if needed and we have seen them respond to several emergencies immediately and with much professionalism. The entire facility and staff are terrific. We will be returning in November with our family-children and grandchildren without any hesitation on our parts. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Bungalows and cabins have porches with views of Bay. Several new AC rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We were staying for 5 days at the pirate cove. Drake bay in general, but also the hotel itself, is quite isolated, which made the strolls at the beach even more special. The staff is extremely friendly and we felt very much at home. In the morning you wake up with the sounds of the jungle and of geckos :) and during the day many hummingbirds and iguanas pass your way. It was really great! Very much recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We stayed three nights at Pirate Cove and it was one of our highlights in Costa Rica!

The Bungalow was comfortable and with a separate bathroom. There was also a Fan in the Room and a hammock outside at the terrace. Food was at all the time delicious and there's free coffee from the morning until the evening available.

Must to do when you are there: Isla del Caño Snorkeling/Diving and Corcovado Nationalpark Hike.

Room Tip: There are different Bungalows, Cabins and Dorms... ask directly for the right one!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paolo B
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

It was a nice stay at this "hotel". We had two little girls with us (almost 5 years old) and the staff and other guests were very, very accommodating. I am so thankful for this!

I need a hot shower, hot meaning warmer than the ocean, so I can shave! I did not have a hot shower there, and that makes me grumpy. This is personal, nothing against the hotel. They tried to fix it, but not sure our term "Hot" was the same.

Overall, the food was amazing, and all the people there were as well. It was nice that we could have access to kayak's as we explored the mangrove rivers. Lots of wildlife, sea glass finds, and shell finds.

Room Tip: I only say cleanliness as average because this is the only place we stayed during the month that I s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Carly L
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here for 6 days towards the end of Jan and had a fantastic time.

The cabin we stayed in is pretty basic, but that's sort of the whole point really. You're here for Drake Bay's stunning natural setting, and occasionally sharing your shower with a scorpion or gecko is all part of the ambience really. We did encounter some rather nasty ants right by the cabin, but Susanne (the owner) sorted it pretty sharpish. However, you will be eaten alive by mozzies if you fall asleep in the hammock in the early evening, such is the price of being a few metres away from a rainforest.

The food is largely excellent and served in a communal outdoor dining area where all the guests mingle and chat (and you're usually joined by a basilisk lizard who seems to go by the name of Pepe).

We tried to cram in as many activities as possible, although you could spend a lot of time on the beach if you were that way inclined - it's very large, completely deserted and backs onto a freshwater tributary, for which you can grab a kayak and explore the mangroves. Watch for cayman though .. I was told you can swim with them but wasn't willing to put that to the test.

The scuba diving is very good here, I suspect because there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with illegal fishing, and as mentioned by a previous reviewer ideal if you can't make Cocos - the proximity to the rainforest meant that my (non diving) partner could head out on horseback to the rainforest for a variety of different rides, whilst I headed out on the boat. Wilson (the DM) is an absolute legend - even a resolute non diver would feel compelled to give it a go after a five minute conversation with him, such is his enthusiasm, and it's a great place to learn with warm seas and minimal current.

All in all, we personally had a fantastic time. Can't recommend it enough for those who like a natural setting and aren't bothered about nightlife ... if Benidorm's your thing then this is really not for you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Carate
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Pirate Cove? Share your experiences!