“Loved it”
Review of Pirate Cove

Pirate Cove
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Reviewed 14 August 2014

On our trip to Costa Rica we stayed all over the country and this was my favorite place. Our family doesn't usually do relaxing vacations, we go, go, go. Pirate Cove lets you be active but also is so relaxing and is located in such a beautiful setting. We booked a package with room and food included. We stayed 3 nights and booked 3 tours, a night tour, tour of Corcovado NP and a snorkeling tour. The boat rides were rough but definitely an adventure. If you have isues with sea sickness, take meds before the boat ride(s).

We stayed in room C and out kids stayed in room B. We stayed in the AC rooms and I wouldn't change a thing about that. We didn't have the porch like the non-AC rooms but all the activity happens in the dining area/main deck. You can hang there and enjoy the view.

The food was delicious and I enjoyed not having to pick off a menu. The suprise of what was for dinner was great. The portions were large.

We were the only Americans staying at Pirate Cove which I enjoyed. We met a nice pair of couples from Belgium.

We only speak english, all the staff spoke English which was helpful.

I wish I could have stayed a week.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wendelyn

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We where here for two nights. We booked the newer rooms with airconditioning. The room was great and clean as well as the bathroom. The location of this hotel is very convenient because tour and boat taxi pick ups are located on the beach in front of the hotel. You can order dinner at this hotel for 25 dollars per person. We would not recommend doing this. It is way to expensive for what you get. You better walk or hitch a ride to town where you can get better food for a lesser price. Also if you need transportation you will pay way to much when you book it with them. Just go into town and ask there.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
drake2006, Owner at Pirate Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

It is difficult for me to respond to this “review” since we have absolutely no record of a visit from a Dutch person (or couple) who stayed in our air conditioned rooms for two nights at any time during July, and our records are very complete. When I suggested to Tripadvisor that this review was possibly suspicious, they responded that it complied with their guidelines. Of course, I accept their explanation, since it is not possible for them to know otherwise. So therefore, I will respond to this review as though it really is true.

Regarding food, normally we sell our rooms with all meals included. However in special circumstances (or if the guest chooses the room and breakfast option when they make their reservation with Pirate Cove), we will sell meals separately, assuming we have space at the dinner table. We do not serve meals to “drop-in” customers. If a guest decides not to eat with us, they must pay a local taxi (about $15.00 each way to the local town) or walk 30-40 minutes each way, or as our mystery guest(s) said, hitch a ride to town. Food in town is cheaper, and whether it is better or not is obviously a matter of individual opinion.

Regarding transportation, I am guessing the “reviewer" is referring to transport by water taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay, since we do not offer any other type of transportation, apart from our tours. If that is the case, then yes we normally charge $5.00 more for each way. The reason for this is that all of our boats (and the few others that we authorise to transport our clients) meet safety and insurance requirements set by the government of Costa Rica. Some local operators sadly pay neither insurance nor meet safety standards (especially the boats that leave Sierpe in the afternoons and often squeeze 20-30 hapless tourists on a boat made for 10 passengers. If an accident occurs with an unsafe boat (and they have occurred), would you be happy that you saved a few dollars and lost all your belongings in the sea?

Now I would like to mention tours. We charge $10-15.00 more than the local tour operators in town, but perhaps the following will give some more information to those thinking of visiting us. We never try to force any tours onto our guests, and we don’t really care if our guests choose us or a cheaper option, but I was amused and want to tell you what happened recently. We had two families staying with us at the same time in July. One of them chose a tour with us to Sirena, and they left the hotel at approximately 6:30 a.m. The other family decided to take a local tour operation which left at 7:30 a.m. When the two families got back they sat together at one of our long tables for dinner. The ones who went with our guide raved about the experience and showed many photos of animals they met. The other family said their tour was worthless and they saw nothing. I commented to them that not only do our tours leave early in order to see more animals, but that our tour groups are smaller and more intimate, while the cheaper tour took twenty tourists.

Finally, the heading of the “review” was “Great rooms not so great service.” If I were able to meet Arne H person to person, I would ask him respectfully what was it about our service that was not “so great?” I would also ask him to show us the receipt for his (her) stay with us, because in reality, we really do care what our guests have to say and we try to make everyone’s stay a special one. We are so grateful that Pirate Cove is usually fully booked during the high season 2-4 months in advance.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

In June 2014, I was a chaperone with two others of 10 Boy Scouts that traveled to Drake Bay, Costa Rica from Cincinnati, OH for a high adventure trip. Pirate Cove helped us tremendously prior to the trip in our planning of how to get there, activities to do and giving us a comfort level where we felt the scouts would have a great time ... everything came through beyond my expectations. The staff at Pirate Cove was very professional, willing to work with the scouts and helped us in anyway they could. The Pirate Cove facility, activities, staff and managment are highly recommended. I have an extreme desire to visit again on my own or with the scout troop again.

In addition to the diverse wildlife, sunsets are outstanding everyday!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We really enjoyed our 4-night stay at this lodge.

The staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. At our arrival we said we would like to go horse riding on the 3rd day. On the second day, we changed our mind and decided we preferred to visit the Corcovado National Park instead because some other people staying at the lodge had liked it so much. We weren't aware that the horses had to be brought over and this had already been done, but despite this the staff made no objection to changing our plans. We were thankful for their flexibility !!

The diving was great, we dove 2 days in a row and enjoyed both days as much!

Meals were delicous although not cheap (there are delicious cookies available all day as well as tea and coffee, the rooms were prefect, and we only regretted not having more time to add the night tour, the horse riding, more diving and a bird watching tour to the stay !! A great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We have now been to Costa Rica three times and to Pirate Cove three times. It's that good. We wrestled (on the second and third trip) with the decision of whether to go to a novel area of CR for the second half of our trip or to return to Drake Bay and Pirate Cove. Each time, we've opted to go back and have never regretted it. We enjoy the staff so much - from one of the owners (Suzanne, who has taught us a lot about CR), to the managers (Nelson is the kindest and most earnest person perhaps I've ever met!), right on down to the security/maintenance guy (Primo is SO sweet and engaging even though he speaks little English and I speak little Spanish). We have no complaints.

Each visit, we've enjoyed meeting other travelers at the meals served on a large and lovely wooden, covered porch. I love walking to my cabin and having iguanas flit away at the sound of me. I love finding birds hiding in the trees in the river below the cabins. The scarlet macaws take my breath away and I've even gotten accustomed to seeing crocodiles with panic. The first trip we made here, we went on a trip to Corcovado with a guide arranged by Pirate Cove and we saw a wild PUMA! Talk about a highlight!

We're not big tour people, so each time, we've done one tour during our stay. The Corcovado trip is memorable, and the snorkeling trip was astoundingly beautiful. Our last trip, we went horseback riding with Suzanna's horses, which included a young horse that trailed happily behind us. The tour ended with us holding on tight while the horses galloped down the beach to the hotel.

Last, but definitely NOT least is the food. It is incredible! Every meal is good, but the dinners are particularly worth noting. And there's lots of it - you will not go hungry at Pirate Cove. (BTW, while you cannot drink the water in your cabin's bathroom, there is fresh and drinkable water available at all times and at not cost.)

Oh, one more thing: this hotel impresses me with their true commitment to the environment. They don't force it down your throat, but they let you know what you can do to minimize your impact on the environment such as not having them wash your sheets and towels every day.

Room Tip: We think - having stayed in several of the cabins during our three trips, that the best cabins are t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa H
Reviewed 26 April 2014

What a great place we found, as we are driving through the Americas, we camped on the beach in front of the Hotel, they let us use the facilities for a reasonable fee and we got the extra security of having the hotel guard do his rounds around our truck as well... Perfect beach setting, great nature seekers paradise away from it all!!! Do go!!! Hope this review was helpful!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marquestra
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is a unique experience...Booth the Lodge and the Drake Bay area. But first you must be clear of what to expect. The Pirate Cove is a lovely lodge, the rooms are clean, comfortable, and the cabins are so nice, with amazing beach views...But this is a lodge!! In a middle of nowhere...It is not a Ritz Carlton...But that is precisely the beauty of it!!....Suzanne Pagano is probably the must experience diver in the area, and its crew as well. So for those how goes to Drake looking for the best Dives...This is the place to be!! As well as for those who just want to snorkel in Caño Island. Getting back to Suzanne, she is warm and incredible nice. She makes all fill in Home...Excellent meals!! No menu at all...You just get amazed by the food...Fresh fish, Beef Stroganoff to die for...In my case, they accomplished all my need, If I asked for a bit more...No problem...Asked for some rice, and beans..No problem...Vegetarian...No worries...Ah and the bread...The bread!! Homemade and fresh, made every day!! Always fresh browed coffee with cakes any time....No TV, no phones, no Barman on duty to make your Piña Coladas, after 9 PM everybody in bed..But come on...You are in the Jungle!! Besides after touring the magnificent wonders of the area such as Corcovado Park, Isla del Caño, after hiking or diving for hours...All you need is a clean bead, a friendly staff...And a delicious hot meal !!..I decided to stay in an A/C room...I got cool, in exchange for the view...But you can choose!!....Yes the walls are thin, you might hear your neighbor walking...But how can you build a concrete Bunker in that jungle? And even if you can...Why destroying the area?
The staff is friendly; I even opened the kitchen door,many times, to see what is for the next meal...
In few words...You should investigate, and to do an Internet search in advance, so you are aware of the nature of this wet an isolated part of the Costarican Jungle and its conditions. Then be prepared for a lodge experience and for adventure...If adventure is what you are looking for...This is the place to be!!

Room Tip: It is real Hot...So, I choose an A/C room, but no balcony, nor nice view...I had no problem at all...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#2 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Pirate Cove? Share your experiences!