“Paradise”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Merritt Island, Florida
“Paradise”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We enjoyed this exquisite destination for one week. Perfect get away for everyone from honeymooners to families. We brought our 11 & 15 year old children. There was plenty to do! We enjoyed a mangrove tour, horseback riding, zip lining, deep sea fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, and hiking through the rain forest. We felt like we learned something new on every excursion. We saw amazing sights and wildlife every day. Staff were all professional, yet friendly and knowledgeable. The food and the service were among the best I have ever experienced.
Thank you Brad for an incredible adventure that we will always cherish!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank FLAGigi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
london
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed for three nights. During the wet season. Staff were absolutely superb, we felt really well looked after. I had room nine, overlooking the bay, with a nice private balcony and hammock.

Food is really excellent and catered for one vegetarian really well.

We saw an incredible amount of wildlife in and around the hotel, the whole place was alive! Beautifully tended gardens around the property with just the right balance of tending whilst retaining a natural feel.

Highlights were the kayak trip up the river, our horse riding tour (galloping on the beach) and best of all our night hike with two local experts (ask for the night tour with Tracy and John). We saw so much wildlife on that tour including whip scorpions, trapdoor spiders, tarantulas and snakes....and only a few hundred yards from the hotel!

I would go back in a heartbeat - big thanks to Brad and his team for a wonderful trip

Room Tip: Ask for one with a hammock
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DelfromLondon
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 June 2013

There are lots of reviews that concur with our impression. With only 11 guests on average during our entire stay, it was intimate and friendly. I was there with my two sons, 16 & 18, focused on scuba diving. The great joy turned out to be the Corcovado Hikes, Canopy Tour and an overall very relaxing stay .. during the rainy season.

I also did the birdwatch tour and the three of us did the night bug tour with Carlos - whose enthusiasm alone is worth the price of the tour.

We stayed in rooms 1 & 2, and felt like we had our own private villa / tree house. There are some pics, so check them out. Food was tasty, happy hour was convivial and everything always seemed very relaxed.

It's a special place. I've visited 45 countries, rarely write reviews, but feel I have a perspective that makes my compliments meaningful

Tom

Room Tip: All places are great. Lower numbered rooms require less uphill walking. Parties of 3-4 should re...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tom_erickson
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights during our honeymoon. This hotel was AMAZING! It truly is in the rain forest and offers the best seclusion. Staff was friendly and always available to assist. The entire hotel was impeccably clean. Our room had a gorgeous view, amazing windows, and the clearest view of the stars at night that I have ever seen. We did the snorkeling excursion and our tour guide was very patient with me while I adjusted to breathing underwater. She also was very knowledgeable of the best spots and wildlife. The hotel also offers kayaking and many paths to hike. Overall an exquisite hotel that really exceeded all expectations. I would definitely recommend anyone who wants to truly experience the beauty of Costa Rica to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MrsCambronero
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Friends had been to Drake Bay and stayed elsewhere but ended up on the deck of Aguila every evening for cocktails. They highly recommended that we stay here and we are soooooo glad we did. Flying down from San Jose gave us a great aerial view of the coastline. Landing at the small, quaint airport and being greeted by Carlos and his crew was a great welcome. We met some local Scarlett Macaws on the beach where we transferred to Aguila's small boat shuttle. A welcome cocktail and hike to our room, which was the highest perch on the hill, told us we were in for many treats. I photographed the produce bins first and learned that most of it was grown hydroponically on the property. The kitchen is open and the staff is extremely friendly. When I went in to compliment the chef on our first dinner and dessert, he offered to give me recipes.
We kayaked, snorkeled and ATE! The best tour, for us, was the mangrove tour. The photo of me is with some white-faced capuchins that climbed onto our tour boat. A BRAVE momma brought her baby on board to visit. Carlos instructed us on how to behave so that she would stay calm and comfortable.
Our only sad note was leaving. When we went to our next destination, it was such a culture shock. We wished we had saved Aguila de Osa for the last leg of our trip! We continue to communicate with the people we met there, one couple from Germany even! Meals became a time for rich sharing and planning. We are sharing photos now. We will go back!! And stay longer!

Room Tip: Every room has its perks. Ours was the highest up, so commanded the most spectacular view and had co...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Susie B
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 24 April 2013

To say that Aguila de Osa is everything you could want in a Costa Rican vacation is an understatement. On the short taxi ride from the Drake Bay air strip, my dad and I were taken to a beach and then traveled to the resort in one of their many private boats. Upon arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff, a cocktail, and a quick run down of what our week would be like. Our bags were waiting for us in our villa along with two red macaws feeding on an almond tree just outside.

The week was fantastic. The staff is superior and we never had to wait on anything. Every night your excursions are laid out for you and the next morning you are briefed and promptly on your way to diving, snorkeling, hiking, fishing, zip lining, whatever you feel like. Every excursion is top notch, and the guides make you feel comfortable with whatever you're doing that day.

Service at Aguila de Osa is some of the best I have ever experienced in a hotel stay. Everyone is very friendly, and will take the time to answer any question you might have. Every meal was fresh and promptly prepared. My favorite part was in the early evening when we were prepared with fresh appetizers, including guacamole and ceviche, and sipped on cocktails with other guests and discussed our day. The close knit environment provides you with an extended family for your stay, and it's fun to hear all of the stories from everyone's excursions.

So, if you're thinking about a trip to Drake Bay in Costa Rica, this is the place to stay. If you get a chance, track down the owner, Brad, and get him to tell you his story of building Aguila. It's definitely one you'll want to soak in.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Brad B
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I am an artist and nature photographer and Aguila de Osa was a perfect match. We had 4 days in this luscious location on Drake Bay, with great views, a spacious room with a wall of windows and rocking chairs on the porch. The garden is amazingly rich with flowers, butterflies and birds. Well prepared food and the freshest fish often caught that day. Tours, don't miss them. The mangrove boat trip was full of spectacular wildlife and guide Carlos is the best. Snorkeling around Cano island with turtles and numerous fish, Dolphins on the return and lunch on a great beach, this is hard to beat. My only regret was not taking a full day trip to Corcovado, half a day was not enough for me. The staff was wonderfully helpful and attentive and again my thanks to Carlos, an outstanding nature guide. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay
Pirate Cove
Pirate Cove
#7 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Aguila de Osa Inn? Share your experiences!