“Worth Every Penny”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Malden, MA
“Worth Every Penny”
Reviewed 7 July 2008

My husband and I had the most wonderful time celebrating our second anniversary at Aguila de Osa. From the second we got off of the tiny plane at Drake airport we were in their hands and every detail was so well planned. From the plane we were taken to a 4 wheel drive vehicle, crossed 2 rivers in it, were let off as the dirt road ended, and got into a boat which took us to the resort. The most memorable parts are the friendly and warm staff and the incredible food. For each meal there were so many choices and it was by far the best food we had during our trip to Costa Rica. They will accomodate to any dietary restrictions you have. When you arrive at the resort by boat, you arre greeted and taken to the open air dining room where you receive a welcome cocktail and juicy fresh fruit. Then you learn all about the resort and what it has to offer and you are taken to your room. The room we stayed it was #3 and there were 3 rooms in our buiding. There are rocking chairs outside the rooms where you can sit and drink the coffee they leave outside your room early morning. Each room has only screens in place of the windows which is wonderful to wake up in the midst of nature. Be prepared to wake up around 5am at the sound of the birds! If you notice, most of the negative reviews (which there are very few of) were complaints of the loud birds or having dinner at communal tables, etc. If you want A/C, private dining, and complete privacy, then this is not the place for you, but I think that is pretty obvious....but if you want to be immersed in nature but still feel somewhat pampered, come to Aguila de Osa. Jose, one of the staff members is someone we will always remember. He was so friendly and loved having conversations with us. Breakfast was cooked to order each day and there was always a plethora of fresh fruit and juice. For lunch there were platefuls of fresh fish, beef, chicken, vegetables, and salad at each table. At 6pm appetizers were served, followed by dinner at 7 in the open air dining room. After dinner we would socialize with the guests and staff and typically our bedtime was about 8:30 or 9pm. IT was great to go to sleep early and wake up with the sounds of the birds. There is a nature trail behind the grounds of the hotel which identifies many trees and plants. You can take a 15-20 minute walk over a hanging bridge through the wilderness to a beatiful beach. Coco, the resort's sheep herding dog usually followed us there and it was nice to have some company. The included excursions were wonderful, especially the Corcovado Park Tour. Carlos, the guide was very knowledgable and we saw a three toed sloth and many monkeys and a crocodile. The snorkeling around Cano Island was nice and we saw a white tipped reek shark and a turtle and lots of colorful fish. When we wanted down time we sat in the rocking chairs outside our room, layed in the hammocks, or played a game of chess. There is also internet access if you want to feel connected at the lobby area and the resort charges a nominal fee of $10 per stay. Another thing that I loved is that there are recycling bins in the room and they leave envelopes that you can give money to support the school in town. When we left we flew out of Palmar Sur, which meant we took a boat ride up the Sierpe River to Aguitas and took a taxi to the Palmar Sur airport. This was a great opportunity to see the mangroves and also monkeys and caimans. Overall, what a memorable trip. I would highly recommend Aguila de Osa and I have told so many friends that they need to go. We traveled around other parts of Costa Rica and questioned why - we wished we would've planned all of our time at Aguila de Osa!

• Liked — Great food!
  • Disliked — Didn't get to stay long enough
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mfagundo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed 12 June 2008

When you arrive at Aguila de Osa it feels like Fantasy Island. You are met with a welcome cocktail and a most beautiful scene. The landscaping is perfect and provides for excellent birding. My husband and I were looking for a place to relax and get pampered as we had just spend a rigorous week doing turtle research at Tortuguero. Aguila de Osa was just the ticket. Our (standard) room was delightful, even had a mini fridge (very handy for keeping a stock of cold water), although the bathroom light was quite dim. The food was terrific and the ticas at the bar made any drink you could think of. We scheduled a full day of fishing with Christian and Willy and caught several species, even ate our big-eye tuna sushimi style at dinner that night. Olman, the manager, made sure our every wish was fulfilled. A wonderful (yet too brief) experience!

• Liked — Nature and outdoor opportunities
  • Disliked — Low lighting in bathroom
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lucyspin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2008

We ended up staying at Aguila de Osa because another place we had tried to book was full. We were so lucky. I felt like we had arrived in Peter Pan's Neverland when we arrived on our boat. The journey there had been exciting, especially when we slowly floated our way through the mangrove swamps - It was all very Tarzan like.
The rooms were rustic and clean but perfect for where we were. The views were amazing and food perfect - they had no problems dealing with our special diet - no meat and no seafood and the communal dining meant that we got to know everyone staying there and enjoyed swapping stories and holiday experiences.
I have added it as one of my top ten destinations, and I have travelled quite a lot, so that is really saying something as I am quite hard to please.
The only thing I would point out is that this place would not be suitable for someone who does not walk well as our room was a fair climb up some rather steep steps.

• Liked — the location!!
  • Disliked — The shower
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank ilana613
Jamestown, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I've visited Costa Rica often, and every time I stay at Aguila de Osa. This year I brought my boyfriend to show him how amazing it is. The hotel is breathtakingly beautiful. We took the Junior Suite, which is gorgeous with a private balcony and a great view. I had just had knee surgery so I couldn't do many of the tours that I normally do, but my boyfriend did the Canopy tour and had a blast, and went to the Sirena entrance of the National Park and saw pretty much every animal you can see. We went fishing and caught a big Mahi Mahi, which they cooked for dinner. The food, by the way, is amazing. The manager, Olman, was so accomodating and helpful. It was a perfect trip, and I just can't wait to get back there next year!

• Liked — The amazing service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lauren10
Newport Beach, Ca
Reviewed 3 March 2008

The Aguila de Osa Inn, Drake Bay, Costa Rica
March 3, 2008
Reviewer: Sharon, Newport Beach, Ca.
The Inn is an expression of love that blends with the natural beauty of Costa Rica. It sits next to the Corcovado National Park. This park is one of the most protected environments in Costa Rica. My first impresson when I landed in Drake Bay was "what did I get into?"
The road to the drop off area was filled with pond size potholes and we had to cross two rivers. We were then picked up by the Inn's boat and taken to a lovely landing that gave you the sense you were in the middle of nowhere. Above the landing was the Inn. We were greeted by a friendly staff and the owner, Brad. This Inn was definitely Brad's labor of love. The gleaming wood floors and hand crafted doors where examples of the special care this Inn was given. All 14 rooms had panaramic views of Drake Bay and the surrounding botanical garden. Every morning I woke up to the singing of birds and a pot of coffee outside my door. I sat on the deck reading and meditating till 7:30 when breakfast was served. The food was outstanding. All three meals were made of fresh ingredients and in the evenings the catch of day came from the fishing skills of the guests. If you are a nature lover and like to hike, dive and fish; this is the place for you. Drake Bay is on the southern Pacific side of Costa Rica. It is still untouched by the big developers. Serenity still exists here.

• Liked — The natural beauty.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1travelwarrior
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 10 February 2008

My husband and I travel to Aguila de Osa every year and stay longer than most -- usually ten days. People ask us, "But why do you go to the same place every year?" Our answer is, "When you've found paradise, why go further?"

Let me tell you some of the reasons we love it there.

1. The lodge and surrounding area is just a beautiful step back in time. One year we were told by another well-traveled guest, that "this is the way Hawaii was in the '50s, so enjoy it now!"

2. Everyone cares. From being met at the dock the day we arrive, to getting a send off from the very same dock, is what it's all about. The staff immediately gets to know your name and never forgets it. They are there to serve, but not to butt in. Perfect balance.

3. When snorkeling at Canu Island, while my husband was diving, I saw what I thought were some GI Joe dolls on the bottom. The thought went through my head that some poor child had lost their toys. Imagine my surprise when I noticed those action figures were moving! What I was seeing were the divers way down there! That's how clear the water was that day. I have also experienced the cloudy water after a rain, but it soon clears.

4. The horseback ride across the beach, up through town and back into the hills and through a stream bed. At some point the horses are tied, and a final short hike opens into the most beautiful waterfall, where we swim every year in the refreshing water.

5. San Josecito Beach is the most gorgeous and isolated beach. I hate to even write about it, cause I want it all to myself. Every year my beach dog is STILL there - a cute little mutt that I've named Pedro. He will accept food from you, but will never grab it like my dogs at home do. If you do go to the beach, will you please give him some fresh water?

6. Coffee on the veranda outside our room every morning, so that we can wake up at about the time the birds start to sing, and have our morning jolt, too. This is usually when we see the big lizard climbing the tree, or hear the red macaws in the tree in front of our porch. The holler monkeys can make a racket, too.

7. I could go on forever, but my final is for the owner Bradd Johnson. This place is his passion. Every year I can't wait to get there to see what little (or big) thing Bradd has added or changed. He never lets the place get stagnant, always thinking about what he could do to make it better.

I supposed Aguila de Osa is not for everyone. If you want concrete, high-rise and no adventure, then don't go there. If you want an elevator to your room instead of a climb up several flights of steps, then don't entertain the thought. If you want to be alone, instead of meeting some of the most interesting people who are also guests, then go somewhere else. If you can't entertain yourself for a couple minutes, then go to Club Med. But if you're up for adventure, love meeting people and like to hear the birds in the morning instead of the hum of your air conditioner, then Aguila de Osa is the place for you. We'll be back next year - it will be year 11! Maybe we'll see you there.

• Liked — Every where you look it is beaufiful, every sound you hear is interesting, every meal is delicious!
  • Disliked — That I have to leave at the end of ten days.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cnpguru
Toledo
Reviewed 10 February 2008

My wife and I found the Aguila de Osa Inn by luck on the internet. We first went to the Inn in 1999. We have returned each year and have had a very positive experience each year. The setting and tours are exceptional you must be somewhat physically active to have a positive experience here. The staff is exceptional and professionally attends to our every need. The food is tremendous and plentiful, if you tire of tenderloins, fresh fish, great vegetables and wonderful fruits, you won't be happy here. There are three reasons we keep returning; the setting, the staff, and the other adventurous guests like us that we are fortunate to be able to interact with at dinner. We have met some tremendous people here over the years and still maintain contact with several, however sometimes there are guests that just do not enjoy this experience. This is Five Star Adventurous, be prepared to be exhausted at the end of each day. I can not recommend the Aguila de Osa Inn anymore highly.

• Liked — The setting, the staff, the tours, and the other adventurous guests
  • Disliked — This resort is perfect for my wife and I. We have been here every year since 1999.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay
Pirate Cove
Pirate Cove
#7 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Aguila de Osa Inn? Share your experiences!