Drake Bay Wilderness Resort is perched at the shoreline with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean and distant Cano Island. It is isolated from behind by jungle and rivers. The primitive trail going west from the resort leads to one incredibly beautiful, empty beach after another.
Getting to and from this place is not simple, but is a wonderful part of the experience. The trip in from Sierpe was on a fast speed boat down a river through undeveloped mangrove forest, ending with an exhilarating entry into the ocean. The trip out was by Twin Otter with spectacular views of the coast. Our inbound and outbound trips were coordinated through Drake Bay management, and they also arranged 2 very enjoyable tours for us while there.
It is amazing to me that everything worked seamlessly during our stay, given the logistic challenges of provisioning and maintaining the resort. Though the property is beautiful and very comfortable, it could not be described as luxurious in the typical sense. But this is not a typical location.
My wife and I are private people and were anxious about the community dining setup. However, we ended up enjoying our dinners with many of the eclectic visitors who were also drawn to this edge of the world.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since it was founded in 1985, Drake Bay Wilderness Resort has continued to be a family run business. Our focus has been to take good care of our guests so that they'll feel right at home. We try to be as flexible as possible, taking into consideration people´s needs and we do our very best to fulfill special requests. For instance, we will prepare meals for special diets. Furthermore, the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful locations in the area. It has large open areas with a bounty of beautiful flowers, tropical plants, big mango trees, and beach almond trees that attract the raucous macaws. The property gives you the feel of being in a private island since the river flows along the backside of the property and the whole front side meets the ocean. In addition to this, most visitors come to us by boat and the access by land to the hotel is a small path, unreachable by car, that is submerged in a jungle. Best of all, there is a paradise like view of the bay and ocean, reflecting the deep blue sky and, beyond that, hills bound in lush forests.We offer all sorts of extras that help make our guests' stay more comfortable and enjoyable. For example, we include a full laundry service. Kayaks close to the water are always at our guests' disposal. We have a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, dock, and hammocks to relax under the shade of a tree with the cool ocean breeze blowing on you. From our hotel we take guests on adventures in snorkeling, hiking, diving, canoeing and whale watching. Visitors often see four species of monkeys, sloths, tapir, caiman and a myriad of birds, including the scarlet macaw, mangrove hawk, toucan... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Drake Bay Wilderness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Drake Bay Wilderness Hotel Drake Bay
- Drake Bay Wilderness Resort Costa Rica