It is a little hard to separate what I liked about this resort from the increadable area that is Drake Bay. First, the area is beyond compare as a tropical wilderness. The Corcovado park, waters teeming with whales and dolphins, and the coral reefs would make a stay at any hotel a great experience. There are about 10 places in Drake Bay which all seem equally good for outdoor activities. What sets them apart is the experience back at the resort grounds.
We spend 6 nights at Drake Bay Wilderness resort for our honeymoon. We enjoyed every minute of it and would go back in a hearbeat. The grounds are beautiful and well groomed. The rooms are neat and clean, but without TV, telephones, or clocks. Not to worry, the tropical birds and the sound of the surf woke us up every morning. One highlight is the open air bar, where the guest and staff tend to congregate after dinner. Watch your tab, as any drinks other than water are added to your bill. The specific feature that made our decision was the free use of the kayaks in the river behind the grounds. It was great to come back from the jungle and paddle upstream to lay in the water and watch the howler monkeys.
The food was great, and served with an elegant presentation. Even the picknick lunches were above average.
The activities seem to be typical of the area (although I have not done any of the other lodge's activities I did observe the other groups). Their equipment seemed to be in average to above average compared to the other properties. The staff are first rate. Very patient with the guests, and very good at adjusting activities to the group. Both guides are true experts on spotting wildlife, and everyone on the grounds truely seems to care about the guest experience.
We are younger people (early 30s), but this laid back and relaxed atmosphere was what we wanted. If you expect to come back from the jungle and party at the bar, this might not be the right property for you. None of the places in Drake Bay are set up for the all-enclusive party holiday crowd, and I hope it stays that way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since it was founded in 1985, Drake Bay Wilderness Resort has continued to be a family run business. Our focus has been to take good care of our guests so that they'll feel right at home. We try to be as flexible as possible, taking into consideration people´s needs and we do our very best to fulfill special requests. For instance, we will prepare meals for special diets. Furthermore, the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful locations in the area. It has large open areas with a bounty of beautiful flowers, tropical plants, big mango trees, and beach almond trees that attract the raucous macaws. The property gives you the feel of being in a private island since the river flows along the backside of the property and the whole front side meets the ocean. In addition to this, most visitors come to us by boat and the access by land to the hotel is a small path, unreachable by car, that is submerged in a jungle. Best of all, there is a paradise like view of the bay and ocean, reflecting the deep blue sky and, beyond that, hills bound in lush forests.We offer all sorts of extras that help make our guests' stay more comfortable and enjoyable. For example, we include a full laundry service. Kayaks close to the water are always at our guests' disposal. We have a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, dock, and hammocks to relax under the shade of a tree with the cool ocean breeze blowing on you. From our hotel we take guests on adventures in snorkeling, hiking, diving, canoeing and whale watching. Visitors often see four species of monkeys, sloths, tapir, caiman and a myriad of birds, including the scarlet macaw, mangrove hawk, toucan... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Drake Bay Wilderness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Drake Bay Wilderness Hotel Drake Bay
- Drake Bay Wilderness Resort Costa Rica