“Best boat in southern Costa Rica!”

Fish Drake Bay - Reel Escape
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fish Drake Bay is the Premier Sport Fishing Company in Drake Bay and the Osa Peninsula. We offer the Reel Escape - a 35 ft. luxury sport-fishing yacht with air-conditioning and a full size bathroom, and the Reel Time - a new 26 ft. center console with a 250 hp Yamaha 4-stroke engine. We have the best captain and mates in Drake Bay and all top of the line equipment. We offer in-shore, bottom fishing and offshore trips. We are happy to customize the trip of your dreams.
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My girlfriend and I just got back from a weekend in Drake Bay and we had an amazing time. I've fished with Captain Willy a few times before over the past couple of years so I knew he was good, but he really out did himself this time. The best fishing season in Drake Bay is typically November through April so we knew we weren't coming at the peak time, but it didn't make a difference. Willy offered to take us off-shore to see if we could find any billfish, and we proceeded to release 3 in the morning and had a few more knockdowns and one crash our dredge.

After that we found a huge pod of spinner dolphin and Willy put us in front of them to go after yellow-fin tuna, which fortunately was red hot that day. We caught 7 in total, all in the 20-40 lb range, so we had plenty to eat. Willy offered to take us bottom fishing as well, but we declined as we couldn't resist a tuna bite that consistently good.

The boat itself is a new boat to the area, a beautiful 35' Cabo with top of the line electronics, Shimano Tyrnos conventional tackle, and a luxurious cabin complete with AC. The mate, Alex, is an excellent fisherman himself but also provides excellent service. He was always offering us drinks and fresh fruit, and he prepared a great lunch for us. He was nice enough to let us hook our own fish and gave us advice to help us improve. Even if the bite wasn't red hot it still would have been a great day on that boat and with those guys, but of course 7 yellow-fins and 3 sailfish just makes it that much more memorable!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I booked a full day of inshore fishing with my 12 year old son who is also an avid fisherman. The crew from the Reel Escape picked us up in front of our hotel - the boat is a 35' CABO - clean, ran well, served a great lunch and was fully stocked with water, juice and beer + top of the line tackle. The Capt. was Willy and he has fished all over the world including a few years in the USA (he speaks perfect english) - He is local and is very dialed into the inshore/offshore bite. Willy had two additional mates and they were fantastic. Since we were visiting CR during June I knew the offshore/billfish bite may be slow, so we opted for a day of inshore fishing. We caught tons of fish (Snapper, grouper, small tuna, jacks, etc. on Jig, bait, poppers, troll)...The Captain really listened to what we wanted to do and put us on the fish. If a picture paints a 1,000 words, I think the attached picture of my son and his Rooster Fish says it all.

I can't wait to fish with them on my next trip - As far as Drake Bay goes - they are the ONLY boat to charter!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I just got back from Drake Bay yesterday and spent 4 days fishing on the Reel Escape. It is by far the best charter boat I have been on in my very long fishing career. Willy is clearly one of the best captains in CR and he put us on fish after fish. Alex, the first mate works absolutely non stop to provide the most relaxable, enjoyable trip imaginable. The boat itself was absolutely amazing. With a very large air conditioned cabin with a full bathroom we were able to escape the heat and relax as we traveled to different fishing spots. The fishing was excellent with a wide variety...sailfish, wahoo, red snapper, tuna, triggers, grouper, AJ, rooster fish, etc. We told Willy what we wanted and he put us on it immedietly. Very clean and comfortable boat and the captain and mate are first class guides. Excellent Boat will definitely be back.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Just got back today from Drake Bay today. This was my first trip there, and the experience was one of the most memorable. The hotel and accommodations Mark (owner of "Reel Escape") set me up with, was nothing less than 1st class. I fished aboard the 35 Cabo "Reel Escape" both Saturday and Sunday. We landed a nice Rooster Saturday within 30 minutes of lines in.. the rest of the day was outstanding. Fishing again Sunday, was even better. We started with bottom fishing and ended trolling. We slammed the Trigger fish, Grouper, landed a nice Snapper, 2 AJ's, 3 Tuna, and 2 Wahoo. We brought the fish back to the hotel, Aguila de Osa Inn, where the cook prepared our catch. Capt. Willy and the crew of "Reel Escape" were nothing short of professionals. Being an angler myself, and boat owner, I can without a doubt give nothing but raves for them, the boat, and the owner... Highly recommended! Chris Martin

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have been coming to CR for the last 10 years, the last 6 to Drakes Bay. Its the only place to go and in particular since fishing is so important to our trip, fishing from the Reel Escape was a phenomenal upgrade to other years we have fished DB. We caught about everything you can catch. The Crew of the RE, Willie and Christiano are as good as it gets. On the boat, I like to have a place when it gets really hot to cool off and have a fresh beverage. The cabin's cool air conditioning make the all day fishing experience completely unique. I rate it a solid 12 out of a possible 10 and will be back next year.