“Great value in a comfortable setting with a beautiful view!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Drake Bay
Cabinas El Mirador Lodge
Ranked #8 of 20 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 February 2012

El Mirador overlooks Drake Bay, with great views and a breeze (and fan) to make sleeping comfortable. A short walk to town makes everything accessable. We especially enjoyed the boat ride and guided hike to Sirena Station. Roy was a great guide, who was also an expert at taking photos thru his scope! Isis was very well organized - always got us fed and where we needed to be on time for our tours! The food was also very tasty and healthy.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoamingRocks
There are newer reviews for Cabinas El Mirador Lodge

Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed here several years ago and was happy to return during my Christmas break in Drake Bay.

I had an inside cabin (meaning I had people staying on both sides of me) and would recommend an outside cabin (meaning you have a screen on two sides for air circulation).

I rated this high because of the value for the money: It is very affordable (one of the least expensive all-inclusive places in the area - providing three meals a day + accommodations). It is so close to a great beach (albeit you will have to be in good physical condition to climb the stairs - you'll climb the equivalent of about 7 or 8 stories of stairs straight up to get to the cabins). It's nice to walk into town if you need something (not all resorts in this area are within walking distance of the little town - which has a grocery store and a couple of restaurants and bars). The food was also great (very healthy, hearty fare). I'm a vegetarian and I found the food awesome and filling.

For double the price, I stayed at another resort and it was great too, with rooms a bit more upscale (see my other review and remember - that hotel was DOUBLE the price). However, in terms of the price point, you won't find a better place. It's very rustic (it's not camping, but it's close - they are very simple cabins with screens and there is only one temperature of water - luke warm to cold - which is welcome after a day of hiking and being in a humid rainforest). You'll hear the sounds of the jungle all night, plus the roaring sound of waves, especially as the tide comes in. It's amazing.

We had a virtual united nations of guests staying over Christmas break - with people from Germany, Holland, the US, Canada, Switzerland, France, Italy & Brazil to name only a few.

My Spanish is unfortunately horrible and I will warn that I think only Isis (the manager/owner) speaks English. If she isn't around you may have to order your breakfast or ask for things in Spanish. I'm able to say what I want for breakfast in Spanish (ie gallo pinto, huevos, toastadas - rice & beans, eggs, toast)... so I could get by. Many of the guests are bilingual to help you out. However, I just wanted to give you the heads up that the staff is not fully bilingual - you'll get by just fine though if you bring a little Spanish dictionary and try a few words. Again, the manager does speak English very well and she will come by at the end of dinner to ask you about what tour you want to arrange.

I really enjoyed my stay and if you're an adventurous traveler (meaning you don't expect a Holiday Inn and you like roughing it a little) then you'll find this place great.

A special note: THERE ARE NO BANK MACHINES in Drake Bay. There are only bank machines in Palmar Norte. Your bank may limit the $ you can withdraw (ie mine limits me to $400 a day). If your bank also has a limit plan a head and bring enough money for tours ($120 is the average cost of each tour - PER PERSON) plus your accommodations, plus a little extra in case you need it. Very few places accept credit card. Cabinas El Mirador Lodge only accepts cash. Be prepared (quite a few people had the impression they would be able to withdraw money and they couldn't). :(

PS if you're traveling solo in Costa Rica I highly recommend staying at any place that has "family dining" - meaning everyone sits at the same table and eats the same meals. You'll meet lots of people.

Room Tip: Bring cash - there are no bank machines in Drake Bay and few places accept credit cards.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank ccraft
Reviewed 30 November 2011

In a super cosy atmosphere you dine togethere with all the guests, and can meet people who are on the same wavelength. Talking about what you have seen in the National Park that day. Isis is the best host and serves you with this undercooked sense of humor.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Erlofthart
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We did not stay at Cabinas Mirador, but our lodge (Finca Maresia) coordinated tours with them. Mirador had our favorite guides of our entire trip to Costa Rica--Vincent and Rebecca. Their tours were so informative and exciting, with a real focus on National Parks and safety. We were all impressed. The wildlife viewing on these tours was incredible and neither tour is to be missed. At Sirena with Rebecca we saw a tapir, an ant eater, white lipped peccaries, and countless birds, reptiles, and insects! She was really knowledgeable and so fast with her scope that our entire group could get a really good view of nearly every animal she found! Snorkeling with Vincent at Cano Island was also fabulous. We saw white tipped reef sharks, sea turtles, rays, tons of tropical fish and beautiful coral.
While the food with this organization could be better and we cannot review the lodging, the tours were PEFECT!

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Laurie C
Reviewed 25 February 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mirador for 4 nights. You could throw a rock from our cabina to the ocean. The cabina was simply and rustic (don't expect fine linens) but very clean and spacious. For the price ($45 pp per night, including 3 delicious meals a day), it was a great value. Everything has to get shipped into Drake Bay because of its remoteness, so many other lodges in the area are significantly more expensive.

The lodge has been run by a local Tico family for years, who are on site at all times to help you with arranging tours, taxis, or whatever you need. They even packed us bag lunches when we went on long day hikes and wouldn't be at the lodge at lunch time. The service was really wonderful. While we were there, another couple (who spoke little english) was trying to arrange a stay overnight in the Corcovado National Park and thought they might be getting ripped off on the price their guide was proposing to charge them. Staff from the Mirador made several phone calls to help them out.

Great place to stay, we didn't want to leave!!!
FYI- we heard from other guests that not all the cabinas are the same, so ask for descriptions of them. Some have electricity and others do not.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jth0618
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Quiet, peaceful and nice and clean place, well located, good service, good food. We had rooms in a shared wood house with ocean view in the middle of the forest. We feel like we are on your own in the jungle! Nice rustic decorations, flowers.Great experience. We met friendly people in the shared dinning area where it is nice to play cards and drink beer and wine after dark. Beach few steps down the hill. Really nice point of view up in the terrace (Mirador), really great view of the sunset, beach and ocean from there. Excellent to rest and relax. We went to excursion they propose (diving and Corcovado park tour) wich were well organized and fun!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank cellmeso
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Firstly and most importantly: if you are not a hiker, if you don’t enjoy climbing arduous and steep terrain, if you are over weight or out of shape, do not stay here! Otherwise – this place is AWESOME.

I was met by a young man from the hotel as our boat pulled in who is a biology student doing an internship on the Osa Peninsula. He was wonderful. He offered to help with the bags, and had I known then what I know now, I would have accepted!
Climbed a steep – STEEP – hill that led up to the ‘cabinas’. I was carrying a 30 pound pack + a small bag of food, including a full bottle of water, and I had to stop twice to catch my breath – and I’m in very good shape. When we finally arrived at the top, I downed the bottle of water, caught my breath, and was shown to the room.

Cabinas El Mirador are simple, bare bones, basic accommodations with no electricity and no hot water. There is internet connection if you want to hook up your laptop to their Ethernet cable; however, no way to recharge your laptop other than to borrow their electricity which they very kindly suggested is not favorable. The place is run by a family and they are extremely friendly, funny, and fun! They were very helpful, and I wish I could have gotten to know them better.

Stayed in Room #2 and if you stay here, stay in this room! It is only 4 walls and a small bathroom, but the view is fantastic: looked directly over the bay. There is a small balcony without a hammock but with a rustic wooden bench. There are other larger rooms which I did not see. There is also a ‘lookout point’ that I climbed up to with 2 hammocks and a wonderful view.

Dinner was at 7pm and the food was fantastic and the portions were good sized. There was an international feel here, with guests from Germany, France, Switzerland, and 2 young Ticas who had brought a bottle of wine and infectious laughter. Had a great time over dinner, and stayed up talking and laughing with one another in 3 languages.

A wonderful find that is less expensive than most on Drake Bay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo