“My favorite place in Costa Rica”
Review of Jaguar's Jungle

Jaguar's Jungle
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Jaguar's Jungle was by far the coolest place I've stayed during 3 different trips to CR. This place exceded any wildlife expectations I had about the Osa Peninsula before arriving. I got to see scarlet macaws, coati, tapir, bat caves, crocidiles, a sloth, and much more within a short walking distsnce from the owner's property. The hostel itself was a beach & jungle paradise - it had beautiful empty beaches for swimming/snorkeling, numerous jungle trails for hiking, a nice deck and a large grassy area to kick back and read while eating freshly picked mangos and coconuts from the property. The owner and staff were accommodating and extremely knowledgeable while helping me to organize activities in the surrounding areas. Whether you're looking for relaxation or fun activities, this place definitely has it all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe S

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Jungla del Jaguar is a one of a kind; a secret coastal getaway situated along the Corcovado National Rainforest. The owner, Leo, is incredibly knowledgeable, helpful, and welcoming. The environment here is teeming with wildlife, as the beachside hostel is surrounded by miles of primary tropical rainforest. I had the opportunity to visit the national park, snorkel at Caño Island, sea kayak, along with a myraid of other adventures during my stay here. I fell in love with the region, as I ended up staying a week longer than intended. The hostel itself is beautiful and large, with a soon-to-be yoga studio in the making. The communal space is unbeatable; a wooden outdoor patio, grassy lawn, cosy dining room, and one of the largest book collections I've seen in a hostel. I had all of my meals here, as the food is healthy and top-notch (they offer vegetarian options for all meals!). I highly recommend this location to any traveller who loves adventure. The world is your oyster at Jungla Del Jaguar.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mariel L
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Meeting Leo, and being invited to be at his childhood home was amazing! It was so incredible to be able to talk to someone, who speaks my language, and has an education (he's a Biologist born Costa Rican to American parents...) Great vibe, fresh food (he catches the fish) and INCREDIBLE property. We walked from Drake Bay through 22 different beaches, spent a few hours in Rio Clara on the way, before completeing the 15km trek to the most remote place I've ever been, total paradise... on the ocean, and literally on corner of Corcovados national Park. We saw Tapiers and monkeys before even getting far into the jungle.

Room Tip: There are private cabins, or the 'hostel' is a two storey building, with no windows.. bunk b...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had the best time in Jungla del Jaguar (Jaguar's Jungle)! It was absolutely amazing from the first minute to the last starting with an unforgettable boat ride to get there past beautiful beaches and rainforest. Even though it was a little windy and we got a little wet, but that already was half of the fun. The hostel is run by Leo, who is only 27 and only started this place a little over than three months ago. He has an amazing thing going there, the location is just perfect and he takes great care of his guests and was a fantastic host. We took some fanastic trips with him including snorkelling and jungle hikes. He took us to great places and we went swimming in a jungle river, took a bath in a couple of waterfalls and made a spontaneous trip to a bat cave at sunset with him. All of those things were amazing experiences! We really loved sleeping in the open air dorms and waking up by sunrise with the sound of the waves and the jungle in the background.

I have never been to a hostel whith such an amazing atmosphere where all the travellers staying there are just hanging out with each other and have a good time. We met so many interesting people there. I think this is partly due to the fact that everyone comes together for breakfast and dinner where you can either enjoy the costa rican cuisine or whip sth up urself. Of course due to the fact that Leo has only been running this place for a little over three months not everything is working perfectly like in an established hostel, but that was nothing that bothered us or anyone else that was staying there. And he is constantly working on improving things and turning this into an even more beautiful place in that great location with the National Park right around the corner, the many secluded beaches and the palm fringed estate that place is situated on.

My friend and I never felt so depressed actually having to leave a place and I can only recommend for anyone who does not need super luxury to go there and just see for yourself.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Corcovago is the most beautiful place in Costa Rica and we loved our stay here!! Lots of coconuts, see kayaking, roasting cashews and chocolate and beautiful nature. Nice tours offered by Leo who does an awesome job at his hostel and is genuinely interested in his guests. I hope he keeps it small to keep the intimate vibe alive that we experienced. If you care much about safety and luxury though this place might not be ideal for you.

We want to go back immediately....

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Jaguar's Jungle, or Jungla del Jaguar, is a beautiful new hostel on the Osa Peninsula near Drake's Bay. The hostel is around 20-30 minutes by boat from Drake's bay... very close to Corcovado National Park (you can hike to the border of the park, and hike along the border, from the hostel on a convenient 3-4 hour hiking tour). Leo, the owner of the hostel, offers tours and will help you with anything you need help with - be it booking your next hostel stay, planning your next phase of the trip, helping to organize your Corcovado trip, or just giving you a great experience around the hostel grounds.
Osvaldo, the current cook and handy-man, is an amazing chef - and will prepare excellent meals - way better than you'd expect for the price they charge for meals ! They always have vegetarian options or meat/ fish dishes. You'll have to tell them in advance what you'd like to eat, you can also just order breakfast and dinner and bring your own food for lunch, whatever you prefer. I'd totally recommend to eat the meals they prepare though, since it'll work out way cheaper than buying all the ingredients yourself and cooking yourself. The fish is often caught right from in front of the property, and will be prepared in a delicious Tico-style way.
There is plenty of room for many people in the hostel, and they're building more sleeping spaces. Falling asleep to the soothing sound of the ocean and waking up to birds tweeting in the open-style Dormitory was just amazing. The bunk beds are sturdy and comfy and almost all of them have mosquito nets. I slept like a rock. I'm sure I'll go back many times. :)

Room Tip: I liked the upstairs dorm since it has a nice breeze. The downstairs dorm is also nice if you like i...
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here on a whim. Originally, we had planned to camp in Corcovado National Park, but we ran into a friend in Uvita who raved about this hostel, so we changed our plans right then and there. And I'm glad we did! Staying at Jungla del Jaguar was a dream. The property is absolutely gorgeous - right on the beach, surronded by exotic palm trees, beautiful facilities, and the coolest hosts. Leo, the owner, grew up on the property, so he probably knows way more about the wildlife in and around Corcovado than anyone else. Since the hostel borders the park, we probably saw some of the same animals yuo'd see in the park. One morning, a Tayra was just hanging out by the kitchen, for example.

There are five trails on the property, and a few beaches to visit too. You can rent snorkeling gear from the hostel to explore the clear waters nearby, as well as kayaks to check out nearby beaches. Leo's also a great tour guide, if you wanna hike through Corocovado National Park.

NB: No internet, no cell signal (except for one spot on the property, haha), no mirrors, no restaurants or supermarkets nearby. You should either bring your own food before you get to the hostel, or you can get freshly cooked delicious meals by Osvaldo. The hostel's kind of isolated, but I absolutely loved being disconnected for a few days. This place is surreal in how beautiful and tranquil it is.

1  Thank vanssssssss