“Gorgeous restful place”

Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
Burlington, Vermont
“Gorgeous restful place”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This is a great place to stay. Jolanda and David make everything easy. The only hitches are that if you want various services -- from getting your towels changed to ordering a mixed drink -- you have to ask. But these are minor issues in a place that feels more like a home on the beach than a swanky hotel. You'll feel that you're staying with friends hosting you, not staying at a hotel where people are just doing their jobs. Stay in the Honeymoon Suite if you can -- it's pretty fabulous.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VermontToucan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Czech first
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I was at Las Caletas for a whole week and the experience was amazing, I loved the place... their service, ther personal attention they have towards the guests is amazing..You guys have a wonderful place... It is paradise .... Looking forward to visit you again... it is an adventure to live over and over and over again.... Good Luck !!! And congratulations ... You guys ROCK!!!!
PS : The food is the BEST !!!! OMG I loved it .... it was incredible... Delicious!!!! : )

Andrea Mora.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 13 January 2011

This is one of the very most amazing places I have ever been in my life! Truely magical setting and owners!

Jolanda and Jose did everything right. All food without exception was excellent. Our adventure to Corcovado was perfect. And the rooms were like something out of an adventure book.

If you are up for an adventure of a lifetime, this is the place to stay. I will return....and will stay many more nights. I recommend a minimum of 4 or 5 nights to really absorb this special place on earth :)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Mid December three day stay with a family of four. Two older teenagers in tow. The Osa Peninsula is an attractive location because it is largely undeveloped real jungle. The lodging there is a challenge to get to and more expensive than on the mainland due to its remoteness. We have some experience with a few lodges located just south of the "town" of Drake (also known as Agujitas?). Aguila de Osa Inn is nice, but very expensive and located closer to the town and further from the jungle. I walked through the Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp which looked really run down compared to the pictures on its web site. Geographically located between these two is Las Caletas which was the perfect mix of comfort and services and cool jungle lodge experience.

You take a rather challenging boat ride from Sierpe down a river (where you get to see crocodiles and other awesome wildlife) and through the open ocean to get to any of the lodging in this area on the Osa peninsula. I find these boat rides challenging because you may get a boat that seems a bit small for the waves you will encounter and you may not get life jackets, and you will definitely get wet. However, we have never had any actual danger or problem on these boat rides...I'm always just nervous.

The boat picks you up from the Las Vegas restaurant in Sierpe. We had a wonderful lunch there. The town of Sierpe was a bit dicey. We encountered some people I'm pretty sure were intent on trying to pickpocket in the park, and we had some pretty bad lodging in town (don't think anything better was available)...I would recommend staying somewhere else up the coast a bit the night before you leave from Sierpe rather than staying in Sierpe itself.

When we arrived at the beach in front of the lodge, even my hard-to-impress teenagers were impressed! It looked like we were in a scene from Fantasy Island! I was surprised to find such a good beach that was good for swimming. I snorkeled for hours around the rocks by the beach. Didn't have to go beyond 3 feet deep to see all kinds of fish!

You have to walk up a well maintained trail for about 2 minutes to get to the actual lodge which is perched on the hill above the beach. (People will carry your luggage for you if you wish). The view from the lodge is wonderful. We sat in the manicured area in front of the lodge quite a bit with binoculars and camera in hand. We would see beautiful sailboats, people kayaking, toucans right overhead, scarlet macaws, blue morpho butterflies, an awesome full moon, rainbows, etc. Monkeys visited too!

The lodge accommodates a rather small number of people at a time. About 15 or so? This gives the place a great, home-like atmosphere. Meals are served for everyone at the same time (if you have need of a bag lunch or something, they can accommodate) which gives you a chance to sit at a big table and chat with the other guests if you wish, or sit at your own table if you wish. There were interesting people from all over the world there. I am not especially gregarious, but did enjoy sitting in the common area and listening to a mish-mosh of at least 3 languages being spoken at any one time. You are invited to just hang out in this common area whenever you want and grab a drink from the refrigerator or browse the many guide books on the bookshelves. There is some wi-fi access and a computer with internet in the main lodge you can use to check e-mail, weather, etc.

The host, Jolanda (David was away) was a joy. She made sure we had whatever we needed and that we were comfortable. The staff was all fantastic. They provided clean rooms, great food, and a wonderfully maintained lodge. When we asked to use the sea kayaks (free!) without any notice some of the staff immediately materialized to give us life jackets and help us launch the kayaks.

The lodging is exactly what I wanted in a jungle-lodge. We stayed in the two story cabins next to the main building. Plain, wood construction with mosquito nets over the beds. I don't think the mosquito nets were necessary, but they made you feel cosy at night. The building has a metal roof, and it rained from time to time while we were there...that can be noisy...but I found myself being soothed to sleep every night, no matter what. I did bring earplugs (as I always do when traveling) which could help if you are a light sleeper. We let our kids have the upper floor where they had their own beds and fantastic views. My husband and I took the two beds on the lower floor. The bathroom was surprisingly civilized as it was all tiled and even had hot water! Fresh flowers were in vases on each level of the cabin.

One thing to be aware of...the humidity is high in this area and it rains (how much- depends on the time of year). We had everything packed in a million separate Zip-Lock baggies which really helped. Waterproof bags are a good idea. Once you get a swimsuit or beach towel wet (bring your own towels- I might recommend those microfiber type towels that absorb more water after you just wring them out) it will not dry! Just get used to being slightly damp or drying your wet clothes by wearing them until your body heat dries them out.

We took a 6 hour tour to snorkel at Cano Island with Jose, the guide. It was great! Even through it was supposed to be rather rare for mid-Dec we saw whales two different times! More shockingly, we turned off the boat motor and HEARD the whales...as clear as could be. Some people put their head on the floor of the boat and heard them even better. The snorkeling was wonderful even though the weather was a little rainy. Jose was a great guide. We wish we had planned to also take a tour of Corcovado national park, as people who did that trip saw a lot of wildlife.

There is a walking trail all along the coast going in both directions. We walked about an hour in each direction which was fun to explore. We brought those kind of flashlights you strap on your forehead and we took a walk on the trails at night, ...we saw a giant frog and many bugs.

Overall, I felt comfortable and at home here. We wish we had spent a few more days here. There were many activities available and the people hosting and staying at the lodge made it even more enjoyable. If you need a lot of entertainment or 4 start accommodations, this place is not for you, but if you want to hang out in the jungle and have Costa Rican adventures while not roughing it too much this place is perfect. I hope we can go back to Las Caletas some day.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank likestotravelMn
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Drake Bay is simply the most beautiful place we have ever been and Las Caletas is the perfect location from which to explore the area. My husband and I have traveled to many wonderful nature spots, including Fiji, Hawaii, and Belize, but Drake Bay easily tops them all! I have never written a review online before, but this time I simply cannot resist.

Perched high on a hill, Las Caletas has spectacular views of the forest and ocean with a wonderful beach below, perfect for swimming and even some snorkeling. Every night we would go to sleep to refreshing ocean breezes (no need for the mosquito netting) and the lulling sound of the ocean. In the morning, we would awaken to the calls of the howler monkeys. Our trips, led by the incredibly knowledgeable and charming Jose, were absoulutely amazing. We visited the Mangroves of the Sierpe river and Corcovado National Park where, between the two, we saw over 27 species of birds, four types of monkeys, including a troop of spider monkeys where we observed a mommy and baby feeding in the trees directly above us, a tapir, dolphins, whales, a bull shark (from the shore), crocodiles, a boa constricter, and the list goes on... Snorkeling off Cano island, Jose helped us spot several white-tipped reef sharks (one being chased by a Jack fish), two devil rays and three large sting rays, not to mention several schools of beautiful fish.

After our morning adventures/tours, we would head back to the lodge and rest in our hammocks while listening to the ocean, playing cards at the restaurant, going for a swim at the beach below or hiking along one of the several trails. There was even a local pick up soccer game down the beach that some of our kids joined in the afternoons.

As a family of eight (two families with four children ages 8-16 between us) we were concerned beforehand that some of us would be bored or scared or just not happy. The reality was that everyone had a wonderful time and enjoyed pretty much everything we did. One of the aspects of the lodge that makes it so special are the hosts, Jolanda and David. From the moment we arrived, they made us feel incredibly welcome. The meals were delicious and plentiful! We were very fortunate in that their son, Luca, was home for the holidays, and our kids had a wonderful time playing cards with Luca and hanging out with him.

I simply cannot say enough about Drake Bay and Las Caletas. A perfect place indeed!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank RuthWyatt
Kingsford, Michigan
Reviewed 16 November 2010

This is by far the best place I have ever stayed! My husband and I honeymooned here during the rainy season! We knew to expect rain and even though we only had two days of hard rain, it still rained every day we were there. David, Angela, Jose and the rest of the staff still made sure we were well provided for and had fun!
I can't say enough about how great the food is! Not at all what I would expect for the cost of the lodging and food! We stayed in the honeymoon cabin and it was set up and away from everyone else, very private with our own sitting area and bathroom and it was kept very clean by the staff!
Jose was always on hand to answer any questions we had about Costa Rica; be it political, economic, nature, etc... If Jose wasn't sure of the answer, he would find it for us!
Never have a I met a more knowledgeable and friendly staff! We love the Gaillo Pinto for breakfast. Angela made sure we had it every morning if we wanted it! She also provided us with recipes if we asked and Jose was on hand to write it down for me and even offered to translate it into English! There is always something to do here as long as you like to hike, bird or monkey watch, swim, boat, etc... Just remember! The Osa in the rainy season? Nothing dries!
We can't wait to go back and visit our friends!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Las Caletas might just be the most beautiful place I have ever been. The hotel is located pretty much in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nature. Overlooking a beautiful bay, close to the beach, backed by the jungle. Toucans sitting in a tree in front of the restaurant, macaws flying by. Really, it doesn't get much better than this!
Apart from the amazing location, we really liked the fact that it's a small hotel. This means you get a lot of personal attention from the owners and the staff, who are all very friendly. The rooms are very nice, neat and cosy.
Las Caletas also organised an amazing trip to the Corcovado National Park for us. We stayed in the park for 3 days with their guide, José. José is amazing, he knows everything about the wildlife and he is a very nice guy! We really had a great time exploring the jungle with him. He made sure we really made the most of our stay in the park by chasing us from our beds at 4 in the morning...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
#8 of 8 in Drake Bay
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Hotel Las Caletas Lodge? Share your experiences!