“AMAZING!!!!!”

Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This place is beyond amazing! I've gone 3 times so far and each one is getting better and better, most recently i got to experience seeing 5 humpback whales swim next to our boat. An experience to remember forever. A unique experience that really cannot be categorized by a basic travel destination.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My brother and I traveled to the Corcovado Tent camp earlier this month and stayed for three nights. We had an absolutely amazing visit.
The staff was kind and attentive and were making sure that we were having a great time. After the Corcovado National Park tour (which was wonderful) they sat down with us to make sure that we had enjoyed ourselves and that the tour company they had contracted through had done a good job with our tour. We had the same experience post the Cano Island snorkeling trip, and they even had aloe on hand which they offered to us after my brother got super sunburned.
We camp regularly so the tents were much nicer and more comfortable than we had been expecting, they were so CLEAN and had a fan.
We got to explore the beach and jungle and they were within a 10minuet walk of one another. We encountered monkeys, macaws, and hermit crabs galore.

There were only four other people in the camp during our visit, but this didn't impact the level of attention or service that they provided us with.
I was incredibly impressed with the people and the property. The food was also incredible.

Room Tip: If you can get a tent near the beach do it!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Morgan B
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband was not very keen on staying at a tent camp, but after looking at the pictures on their web site, he said it looked nice, so we included a 3-night stay there in March. I had been to a tent camp in Kenya, so I know how luxurious and wonderful they can be. I also wanted to be close to the wildlife, and I thought a tent camp adventure would put us as close as possible.

Just getting to the tent camp is an adventure in itself. Our van driver dropped us off at a restaurant and assured us that is where we were supposed to be. Fortunately I found an American lady who was living in Costa Rica, and she told us what to do. We knew we were supposed to have a boat ride to the camp, but we thought the resort would have its own boat, which it does, but the boat we were to catch this time was like a water taxi and picked up and dropped people off for all the resorts on the Osa Peninsula area.

The lady pointed out the man to talk to, and all was arranged. We had a most pleasant ride down a lovely river that opened out into the ocean. Then the captain followed the beach for about 1/2 hour before turning into the beach where the tent camp resides. We were not forewarned about the resort not having a dock (we had never been to a beach resort without a dock before), so we had our regular hiking shoes on. The captain told us to take our shoes off and grab our bags. Some of the employees of the lodge brought our heavier bags for us. So we jumped off the boat, shoes in hand, and plowed through the warm waters. By this time it was late afternoon and extremely hot (in the 100's fahrenheit), so when our feet hit the hot sand, we both received some bad burns on the soles of our feet. Had we known about getting off the boat this way, we would have been prepared and avoided a bad burn.

When we arrived at our tent, we were in for another surprise. The tents were clean enough, and there were two single beds in the tent, but no where to put anything so the bus would not crawl inside our bags. The mold smell was very strong - enough to keep me awake most of the night. The sheets on my bed were rather stained, and I hoped they had been washed, but I really not was sure. By this time my husband, who had strong reservations about coming to the tent camp was ready to go home, but the boat had already left, so he was stuck for that night at least.

I decided to see what the bathroom facilities were like - it was a communal bathroom with toilets and showers and a few sinks. I ran into a man who ended up making our stay there so much more pleasant. He was a friend of the owner and explained that the owner had been in a bad car accident and had been in the hospital for quite a while, so the tent camp had suffered during his absence. I did feel better knowing that, and I had compassion for the owner as well. The man found two small tables for us to put our bags on right away.

One highlight during our stay was right after we arrived. We heard what sounded like some angry parrots and saw a large group of scarlet macaws overhead. We watched them for quite a while, as they seemed to be fighting with each other. We were told this was the mating season for the birds, so the males were trying to pull the tale feathers off of each other. I later found one very long, red tale feather on the ground.

We were amazed at the beautiful beach at the camp, or I should really say beaches. As you walk along the trail from the camp, you will come across several beaches, and each one seems almost more beautiful than the last one.

Our first dinner that night was truly wonderful. Everyone eats at the same time, family style, so you get to know the other guests. We met some really great and interesting people there. One family from Canada had been to the camp about 10 years earlier, and they were amazed at how run down it was. I told them about the owner's accident, and they appreciated knowing that. We were told the showers had very little to no hot water, but it was so hot while we were there, we did not miss it. You will need to supply your own soap and shampoo, as they don't fill the dispensers or the bars of soap, so some showers have some, and most don't.

The food was extremely good at every meal, especially when they had homemade bread. They give you huge portions, so if you are a light eater, be sure to tell them, or they will throw away a lot of food.

We did the snorkeling tour to the rock island about an hour's boat ride away. This is not coral snorkeling, but the fish are similar - the Caribbean side is very different. We saw three different varieties of sea turtles, so that was exciting, and lots of dolphins.

We did the walking tour through Corcovado Park, and that was wonderful. Lots of monkeys and birds, and some interesting bird mating calls and dances. A highlight of the day was a large family of coatimundi. They were not bothered by us, so we had a great time watching them. We also followed an anteater carrying her baby through the trees. It was a most wonderful time.

We did the park trek on our last full day. When we got back to the camp, our tent had not been cleaned, and we did not have clean towels. Several campers had left that day, but their tents had not been cleaned either. So we went to take a shower and found that nothing had been cleaned in the bathrooms either, and the cans (you put your used toilet paper in the cans) had not been emptied, so they were overflowing. Except for the few guests, the camp seemed to be deserted.

We finally spotted the manager as evening was descending, and we wondered if we were going to have anything to eat for dinner, since it was almost that time, and it was obvious nothing was being prepared. They usually had coffee and hot water for tea available at this time, and that was also lacking. So the campers gathered together as dinner time approached, wondering what was going to happen, or if we would go to bed hungry that night. One guest said he overheard the manager say he was going fishing, so we assumed he went to catch our dinner. By this time it was past the usual dinner time by about an hour, when the manager and some other workers came up and said dinner would be served soon.

They did indeed catch our dinner, and it was very good. I don't know what kind of fish it was, but it was very nicely cooked. We never did find out what happened to cause all the workers to leave the camp unattended for the day, but that just added to our adventure there.

At least when we went to leave the camp, we were prepared for our departure and had our water shoes on.

I am not sure my husband would ever want to go back there, but we did enjoy our adventure at the tent camp. And we hope the owner gets well soon.

Room Tip: We asked to have a tent close to the bathroom for night visits, as it is extremely dark there at nig...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JanisB92
Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you like being where the jungle meets the sea, this is the place for you. I saw scarlet macaws and capuchin monkeys without leaving the camp. The tents were clean and comfortable and located right on the beach with great views. The camp provides three meals a day and will pack a lunch for you if you go on a tour. There are nice beaches and safe trails nearby and the tour to Corcovado National Park is not to be missed. After an "E" ticket boat ride (There's another one of those to get there, too.), we walked through the jungle and saw lots of monkeys, 2 tapirs and a giant snake. The tour took most of the day. Food was great and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a beachfront tent.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked our trip through mycostarica and this was one of my favorite places. The food was the BEST out of all the places we tried in Costa Rica. The guy running the tent camp was hilarious and great to talk to over beers in the evening. Tents were clean and really nice. The tents aren't your typical tense--these are industrial, bug-proof, big rooms. And they come with a bed!! It sort of had that hostel feel in that everyone ate together for dinner at night. It was nice being able to chat with other guests. My only complaint with the camp were the shower/restroom facilities. Hot water was hit or miss and the toilets needed to be better maintained.

Room Tip: Request a tent by the beach!!! We were literally 10 feet away, it was so beautiful.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed there for 3 nights and wish i stayed there longuer! Time flyed because I went scuba diving at Isla del Cano and visited Corcovado Park an other day. You have 3 meals a day and if you go on a day long activity, they make your lunch. Food was really good. All the staff and Antonio where really nice and helpfull. There was always somebody to help you with your next adventure. You can do really nice ''hike'' because there's a path starting in Drake bay that goes for a couple of km by next to all the beaches. I walk 15-20 minutes and saw coatis, many birds and a large group of white face monkey. At night, you can hear the howling monkey and it's great! I went kaying to watch the sunset and it was just mindblowing! There's also a plateform in the jungle where you can feel the energy of the nature and listen to the frogs at night.

Yes, it's true that you can have things stolen like sunglasses, camera & phones because you live in a tent! But, they do tell you to leave your valuable in there safe. You can hang your clothes outside without being worried because they are not looking for that. There's also 2 dogs so at night... They are good guard ;-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank MontrealMermaid
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Still really special the second time here! And this time I got to enjoy with my hija! Antonio is so lovely and helpful. Kayaking and playing in the water at sunset were some of the highlights. Food is yummy! The simple accommodations and laid back lifestyle at camp really work for me! Such a paradise and special part of my Drake Bay experience. Will be back a third time.

Room Tip: Stay close to the water for an amazing view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Carate
Jinetes de Osa Hotel
Jinetes de Osa Hotel
#8 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp? Share your experiences!