“It truly was a magical hotel”

La Casa del Mundo Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jaibalito
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 December 2013

When I got off the little ferry boat I was in awe of the beauty... we walked up several seats where the four course candle lit dinner was being served.... (we got there just in time)... had great conversation with other guests.... Went to our room & I was amazed at how beautiful our room was (#8) the shared bathroom was in excellent shape.... The next morning we woke up to a phenomenal view of the lake & the volcanoes... there was a small balcony right outside our room ....
The staff was warm & accommodating.... the restaurant served wonderful food (pancakes were the best)
We got a lot of exercise & wonderful views walking up & down the steps
We were traveling throughout The Yucatan & Guatemala.... This was the highlight of my trip... Surpassed any expectations I had

Room Tip: #8 had a phenomenal view..quiet.....close to the bathroom & shower... Double bed.... decorated b...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The views from our incredibly comfortable and well-appointed balcony (room 20) overlooking Lake Atitlan was absolutely stunning. Our beds were comfortable, the room was large and inviting and the multiple patios surrounded by a fabulous garden was divine. We took a walk to the village and were impressed with how friendly everyone was along the way. The 4-course dinner in a communal style was nicely prepared and was greatly enjoyable while talking with people from 5 other countries. Overall a special place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our two night stay in room 12 in October 2013. The room was clean and furnished with local pieces. The balcony overlooking the lake was great for a sundown drink! A highlight was a chance meeting with the owner who filled us in on the history of the hotel- from the time he and his wife first saw the land- until today!
Our daughter and son in law stayed here last year so we followed their recommendation.Really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Just ask for one that does not have too many steps. The site is very steep.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at Casa del Mundo with a charity group and really enjoyed it. A rare treat. It is SOOOO beautiful, the views are amazing, the rooms clean, decorated beautifully, lots of hot water and privacy….a really great place to chill out. The views of the lake and the volcanoes are amazing. I enjoyed the group family style dining although I thought the food was OK…I enjoyed the breakfasts more than the dinners. The steps are a bit to contend with if you have knee or walking problems. But even with that - I loved our stay there. The staff is friendly and helpful. The jacuzzi was wonderful - sitting in it with a view of the water and the stars all around - certainly a special treat after walking all day. Some other guests had scorpion issues…but they didn't bother us. This is a tropical country and things like that are to be expected. All in all - I am looking forward to going back with my husband. I also enjoyed the boat rides to the other villages around the lake. Way fun.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw had a fabulous view of the volcanoes and were quiet, having a secluded feeling.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Me and my wife stayed in La Casa Del Mundo for 3 nights in November'2013. We stayed in Room Number 8.To save costs I chose Shared Bathroom Accommodation. For the 1st 2 nights there were no other guests to share the bathroom with . So we we were lucky.The view from my room was unbelievable. What I got to see was 2 volcanoes .When the clouds descend, it was like a painting. So unreal.The foods was pretty good and affordable. The rooms does not have fan or A/c. But then in the evening the temperature drops and one does not miss them.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vicksBaba
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Since discovering this wonderful inn in 2000, I've been returning with friends and family members every year to experience the magnificent views, delightful rooms and gardens, and attentive and friendly staff. The owners, Bill and Rosy deserve the credit for Casa del Mundo being named the "most magical hotel in Guatemala" by Lonely Planet.
When we bring friends to Guatemala we save the inn for last, as nothing in the country, much less the world, compares in value and beautiful surroundings. My wife and I especially enjoy the "family" dinners each evening where all the inn's guests gather for a 4 course meal (about $12) in the candle lit dining room. And we encourage our friends to sit apart and enjoy the company of the many independent travelers they'll meet during the evening.
I often hike in the morning to Santa Cruz, enjoying the incredible views of the lake, but return for the wonderful breakfasts and to enjoy the company of the new friends met the previous evening.
We've already made our reservations for March and November 2014, as the inn has gained international recognition and often fills months in advance. If you're looking for a remarkable experience, don't hesitate. And you'll only be disappointed if you book for less than two nights. It's a very hard place to leave, we've found.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Absolutely excellent. Tranquil, peaceful, clean, friendly staff, excellent views, great hiking trails to nearby towns. Love the family-style dinner. It is only accessible by boat, so if you don't like boat travel that is an issue. And it is not a place for those who want to party or go out at night.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KM L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaibalito
Hotel Atitlan
Hotel Atitlan
#2 of 29 in Panajachel
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 5 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#5 of 29 in Panajachel
Porta Hotel Del Lago
Porta Hotel Del Lago
#4 of 29 in Panajachel

Been to La Casa del Mundo Hotel? Share your experiences!